No wonder people get frustrated with their dealer!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: No wonder people get frustrated with their dealer!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-08-2019 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks

No wonder people get frustrated with their dealer!

Unfortunately, we hear stories like this all of the time. And I'm sure it happens in nearly every industry.

A potential customer used our online chat today to ask about part for his 2012 XUV 550 John Deere Gator. His local dealer quoted him $740 for a high capacity alternator, flywheel and regulator. The customer had the part numbers so I double checked them for him because it just didn't sound right. He had the correct part numbers, but the $740 still blows me away - and that was just the parts, no installation.

John Deere Flywheel MIU13341 = $161.89
    John Deere Alternator MIU13342 = $98.11
    John Deere Regulator MIU13343 = $36.95

Maybe my calculator is broken, but that comes to under $300 in my book! As someone who has 'bled green' for over 50 years this type of story burns my backside. Grrr.
    Green Farm Parts
    John Deere Parts, Accessories & Lifestyle Products
    Call us toll free at (877) 620-6070
    Email us: [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,469 Posts
    That does suck!

My dealer has tried a few times to overcharge me (or at least I felt that way) until I pull out a printout from the JDP cart and refuse to pay more. A few other times he was less than JDP (and no I didn't offer to pay more)
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    That does suck!

My dealer has tried a few times to overcharge me (or at least I felt that way) until I pull out a printout from the JDP cart and refuse to pay more. A few other times he was less than JDP (and no I didn't offer to pay more)
    I figured you got lifetime free JD parts as part of your "deal" with John Deere
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenFarmParts View Post
    Unfortunately, we hear stories like this all of the time. And I'm sure it happens in nearly every industry.

A potential customer used our online chat today to ask about part for his 2012 XUV 550 John Deere Gator. His local dealer quoted him $740 for a high capacity alternator, flywheel and regulator. The customer had the part numbers so I double checked them for him because it just didn't sound right. He had the correct part numbers, but the $740 still blows me away - and that was just the parts, no installation.

John Deere Flywheel MIU13341 = $161.89
    John Deere Alternator MIU13342 = $98.11
    John Deere Regulator MIU13343 = $36.95

Maybe my calculator is broken, but that comes to under $300 in my book! As someone who has 'bled green' for over 50 years this type of story burns my backside. Grrr.
    I have a neighbor/farmer/friend of mine that gets parts from you guys. He quit going to the dealer unless its a need it 5 minutes ago thing. Then its a search which dealer might have it in stock..

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    I figured you got lifetime free JD parts as part of your "deal" with John Deere
    Yeah I wish I had a deal...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks

Re: No wonder people get frustrated with their dealer!

I've learned that my dealer doesn't try to cheat me. He's a straight up list price guy.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    Some of these dealers have yet to get a clue about the Internet and its power for price comparisons, and spreading good and bad reviews about their operations.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Profit is not a dirty word. Every dealer is entitled to set their own pricing policies and live with results. It's a competitive world out there and people are capable and able to shop for themselves. So be it. I recently gave my preferred dealer first shot at my business. He gave me what seemed like a fair deal until I did some shopping. Between the selling price and my trade-in saved myself another ~$4,000. This is some serious $$$. I did give him an opportunity to match the deal but he refused. So what? It's just business.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 01-03-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't purchased a new JD but have had this same experience with autos and campers. Where I get frustrated is when they try to convince you that they will take care of you on the service side if you buy from them. With campers it has gotten so bad that there are dealers that will not do warranty work if you did not purchase from them. Unlike cars, the RV manufacturers will allow this. The problem is, when it comes time for service with cars and campers, even the dealer who sold you the unit may stick it to you. It makes me want to go on a campaign to educate people on how to shop. There are still enough people in the world who will pay retail plus. I am not sure where these people work or how they can afford to do it.

My favorite latest experience- I have an 09 Chrysler minivan. It still had the original rear wiper blade on it. I found out that none of the brands or wiper blades sold at the local big box stores even list the rear wiper for this. I did find some online and I am sure I could have cross-referenced something at a parts store. But, in my experience, if it is oddball enough that Goodyear doesn't list it at the local Costco (they had the front blades) then maybe I should suck it up. So I went to the dealer, I figured a new blade every 85K miles won't kill me. You can imagine my shock when the guy told me that 1 wiper blade was going to be $28! I had a coupon from his website for 15% off, woo hoo..... So I just paid $25 for for a wiper blade. Meanwhile, I replaced the front blades on both of my vehicles for around $30 for 4 wipers! What is wrong with that picture?
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Every dealer is entitled to set their own pricing policies and live with results.
    I am not so sure this is the case. Are you saying John Deere is fine with guys at the parts counter and the dealership splitting the overcharge? I had a guy who sold replacement windows over the phone state that half the over charge business was real. I am sure there are problems, I hear service managers boast how they break down the work into bite size pieces for the billing to add up the highest but that isn't in the tractor world. Is there anyone on here from Deere to come on and say the company is fine with their dealers operating like the quoted post above.

I personally had them quote me hundreds of dollars for a hammer strap. I just assume they quoted me the offset draw bar by accident. Metric fasteners are a big difference, some places, even branches of the same chain charge by the piece, another by the weight. That one is in the three something dollars a pound for grade 8.8 and another place entirely is like $.65 an ounce.

Back to post ! why does the customer want that stuff? I went to the trouble of pulling the sheet through the dealer I am signed up with and there is no normal output alternator. This is a 2012 model. The alternator came up like $116 for me though whether they would give me 10% off or charge a few cents more in person seems to vary.

edit, From the picture and similar looking stuff I have it is commonly called a stator, my idea of an alternator is like on a vehicle or the size tractor I have, something driven by a belt and a few terminals to attach to the wiring harness.
    fran
    Last edited by Fran_K; 01-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast