Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tree bites camper

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks

Tree bites camper

This is way off topic on a Deere forum but I have learned to expect big things from you guys. So, I have this poorly placed hickory tree on my driveway. Or is it a poorly placed driveway? In any case, the first time I brought my camper in this tree jumped out and bit my camper. The most significant damage was the latch in this picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-08_15-37-57_379.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	953.0 KB 
ID:	15424

Name:	2012-04-08_15-39-18_532.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	895.6 KB 
ID:	15425

The latch still works fine. From what I have read these doors are not a "standard" shape. So swapping just the door is not very realistic. I am thinking that I could fix this with a disk of think stainless. I have been looking for some sort of oversize washer. But I want it to be in chrome or stainless. I can't seem to find any sort of trim bezel made for the purpose of covering a poorly cut hole.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks,

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    What's that door made of? Looks like maybe aluminum and some fiberglass.

A big stainless trim piece would work, but I think you'd need to go large enough to cover all the compromised area. Everywhere the outer skin was cracked would need to be under it. You'd also want to seal it somehow to keep moisture out.

Can you measure the damaged area? How large of a piece would you need?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    The door is fiberglass. The damaged area is fairly small. I will try to take better pictures tomorrow. I would guess that the damage its limited to an area less than 2 inches in diameter.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    I think you want something square and go to the aluminum edge frame. I would go to your local sheetmetal shop and have them cut you a piece. Get some white caulk and seal behind it and screw bolt it in place.

Stainless will be hard to drill with some bits. That large lock hole will be the worst part. Unibit will work if you have one.

Should be easy fix.

You might consider going to a place like homedepot and getting a chunk of plastic similar to that stuff they put on walls. Easy to cut and drill and wont corrode. Comes in white.

Sent from my tapatalk device. Fat fingered typing (misspellings) probable..
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

7. Top | #5
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    It looks to me like the lock has been pushed into the door. Is that right? If so, I would pull it back to the right plane,cut a piece of stainless,take the lock apart and insert it though a new hole in the stainless,then pop rivit the whole shebang back onto the panel. Be sure to coat the inside of the repair panel to stop corrosion. You might look in the plumbing section of Lowes/Home Depot for an escutcheon plate that could work....they make all different sizes and depths.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    A large fender washer might do the trick. McMaster-Carr should have them if you can't source one locally. You'll still have to do some work on the washer to make it work.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Will the whole door come off easily Lee? If so bring it up here one day, we can make something to fix it. I like a aluminum idea...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have to tell you guys something- When this first happened I posed this same question on a large RV forum where I used to spend time. I did get the fender washer suggestion over there but was thinking I wanted something with either a polished aluminum finish or stainless. But, honestly, I barely got any response.

I am going to take a more detailed look and get some dimensions. I think it is time to actually remove the latch (I postponed that because I expect to lose any chance of it holding again in the broken area without some patchwork). I am fairly certain that the latch sustained no damage. These things don't really have any structure from the beginning.

I have to look closer, but I am not sure if the door can be removed without taking the frame out (which is sealed into place). I could be mistaken. I know it is connected with a piano hinge but suspect that the hinge is installed with rivets.

These campers are junk. (at least the ones I can afford). When I have taken things apart, I am often amazed that they held together to begin with. They have 2 contrary goals when building these rigs. Low weight and low cost. In order to meet both goals (or compromise) they rely a lot on structural glue, very thin materials, while using plastic, luan, etc. I have seen materials in these campers that I honestly think are being custom manufactured for this industry. The problem is, weight really does matter. So when I take something apart, I want to beef it up but should not. I am already pulling around 13,000 lbs down the road. And again, they cut so many corners that the tires and axles are running at near 100%. I think I may have 7000# axles. And that 13K number is something I have not had the nerve to scale, because I can't change it. If it turns out I am higher, it will only yield anxiety so why bother!

Couple all of that with a rig that bounces down the road, gets whacked into trees, and is exposed to the elements all of the time and you have a rapid rate of depreciation. OK, now I am depressed.

I will give you guys an update when I have more info.

Lee

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    These campers are junk. (at least the ones I can afford).
    Lee, my neighbor (behind me) has a 150k diesel pusher, tag axle on a bus chassis...trust me, it's junk as well-I can't believe some of the things he's (and "we" sometimes) have had to do to it.

Here we are replacing the fridge a few years ago:

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	15428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	819.4 KB 
ID:	15429
    lost in wisconsin likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Campers and motor homes are just high maintenance no matter what. My dad bought a Winnebago last year. He handed the guy the money and when he walked away I told my Dad that was the cheapest part of the deal. He looked at me like I was nuts. He knows what I meant now. LOL.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast