• 2 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 1 Post By jd.rasentrac

Thread: Power Gard Protection Plan for 825 Gator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-04-2019 @ 02:23 AM
    Thanks

Power Gard Protection Plan for 825 Gator

My 2015 825i Gator warranty runs out in January 2017. I've received an offer from John Deere's Power Gard Protection Plan to extend my warranty from one to four years. Does anyone else have this plan and what is your experience with it? So far, my Gator hasn't had any issues whatsoever. We use our Gator around our property and it gets nothing but pampered use. I'd appreciate your comments before I take on $641.99 a year; $901.99 for two years; $1,335.99 for three years and $1,672.99 for four years. They do offer a 8 month payment plan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryNWa View Post
    My 2015 825i Gator warranty runs out in January 2017. I've received an offer from John Deere's Power Gard Protection Plan to extend my warranty from one to four years. Does anyone else have this plan and what is your experience with it? So far, my Gator hasn't had any issues whatsoever. We use our Gator around our property and it gets nothing but pampered use. I'd appreciate your comments before I take on $641.99 a year; $901.99 for two years; $1,335.99 for three years and $1,672.99 for four years. They do offer a 8 month payment plan.
    Pay yourself $209.00/mo for 8 months, which is the same length of the installment plan.Place this money aside for the four years of the extended warranty.
    After four years buy a set of really nice tires for the gator with cash leftover for lots of cool accessories.
    Just my .02
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryNWa View Post
    I have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. First thing is the "warranty" is up when the warranty is up. This usually depends on time or mileage/hours. What you are looking to buy is a "service contract". They are like a regular damage/loss insurance policy only they cover mechanical problems. However they only cover parts of what the original warranty did. Usually they cover major components like the powertrain. Here is where you have to definitely read the fine print on the contract. Don't take the sales guys word that it "covers everything". Most of the common wear items are not covered. Things like batteries, tires, drive belts, brake pads and rotors. Then you will definitely have some kind of deductible just like a damage/loss policy. Usually you end up paying the first $50-100 for any covered repair. Some will let you pay one deductible for multiple covered repairs so long as they are fixed on the same visit.

You are always better off buying the contract that the manufacturer offers. Rather than one offered by an aftermarket company. Any JD dealer will better know the ins and outs of this policy. You also have less chance of the selling company going bankrupt rendering your policy useless.

Shop around for price with various JD dealers. Contracts have a mark up like any other product you can buy. Sometimes you can get a better deal just like when you purchased the machine. I ended up saving over $500 when I purchased the one for my 1995 F350 by going to another dealer. For some reason my selling dealer would not budge $1 under list on the contract. Also the policy price almost doubled between the 6/60K and the 6-100K one that I went with. In the long run I never did rack up the miles or repairs to make the policy worthwhile. Ford definitely made money on me. This was the last service contact that I ever bought.

Now the questions you have to ask yourself.
    How long do you plan to keep the machine?
    Are you willing/able to do any repairs that pop up?
    How hard is this machine going to be operated?
    Will you have future funds on hand for a major repair?

Last but not least is physical damage, abuse, some unauthorized modifications/repairs and used for racing will always void the contract.

Good luck. LOL

Another example is a now former coworker took out the maximum timeframe contact when he bought his bike in 2007. He got it for cost seeing he worked for a dealer. He is the guy that won't get his fingers dirty. He knows a lot about bikes just but just don't want to work on them. He also rides the wheels off of it. He still rides long after others put them away for winter. He told me that he saved a boat load of money by buying a contract. Last thing I heard was that he was looking to buy another one if possible. I guess it worked for him.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 12-16-2016 at 05:03 AM.
    Drifterbike and BarryNWa like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    If my JD partner offers me such a plan, I will decline. Also I think it's necessary to read the "small written" agreements in the contract (here we say: das klein geschriebene im Vertrag)
    bhill likes this.
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements