• 2 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: 4 X 2 engine upgrades help please

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-18-2017 @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks

4 X 2 engine upgrades help please

Hi there,
    Iím brand new to the site and Iím hoping to get some advise on a 4 X 2.

I have 3 older ones, (2 working & 1 with carb problems) probably early 2000ís and Iíd like to either do an engine upgrade or somehow get more speed out of them. Iíd like to customize at least one of them so that it would become advertising for a local real estate office, using a full custom paint job. Then it would be donated out at different events around the area. I will probably have something built so that you could take the box off and have more seating to be a people mover, then when needed to move stuff the box would be put back on. I know that there are plenty of options out there to buy new, but I figured that since I had these 3 older gators and 2 of them not needed so much anymore I could use them for this new purpose.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated ... George

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    First of all, welcome George.

Interesting idea - but: the 4x2 will be faster and transporting more than two people. Therefore you'll need bigger breaks.

But, as said before, real interesting idea!!
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | GŁldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Despite their ruggedness and usefulness, two things the 4x2 Gators don't have going for them is power and speed. With a 10 hp, single cylinder engine there just isn't a lot to work with and the lack of rear suspension only further complicates matters.

With regard to your specific questions, I haven't seen any power upgrades for the 4x2. If you could find the same Kawasaki engine used in another vehicle you might find something, but with them having been out of production for so long that won't be an easy task. Due to the clutch system on the drive belt, increasing speed by changing pulleys is also fairly complicated. I'm going off memory here, but I believe both the drive and driven pulleys have clutches built into them that allow the machine to stop in gear without shifting to neutral. Changing those would likely involve some custom machine work. Even if you did that, the lack of rear suspension would make driving at higher speeds pretty uncomfortable for the operator.

The later 4x2s went faster than the early ones. There was a high speed kit offered for a while, but all it did was allow the early models to go the same speed as the later models.
    bhill and jd.rasentrac like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Despite their ruggedness and usefulness, two things the 4x2 Gators don't have going for them is power and speed. With a 10 hp, single cylinder engine there just isn't a lot to work with and the lack of rear suspension only further complicates matters.

With regard to your specific questions, I haven't seen any power upgrades for the 4x2. If you could find the same Kawasaki engine used in another vehicle you might find something, but with them having been out of production for so long that won't be an easy task. Due to the clutch system on the drive belt, increasing speed by changing pulleys is also fairly complicated. I'm going off memory here, but I believe both the drive and driven pulleys have clutches built into them that allow the machine to stop in gear without shifting to neutral. Changing those would likely involve some custom machine work. Even if you did that, the lack of rear suspension would make driving at higher speeds pretty uncomfortable for the operator.

The later 4x2s went faster than the early ones. There was a high speed kit offered for a while, but all it did was allow the early models to go the same speed as the later models.
    I had an 1979 Honda Odyssey dune buggie back when I was 14. It was 4X2 with a solid rear axle. It also didn't have any rear suspension. Top speed after a new performance cylinder head and pipe was clocked @50 mph. All these years later I can still remember how bad that thing rode. You sort of bounced along trying to keep it pointed in the right direction.
    bhill and jd.rasentrac like this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements