Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Law Suit on Dangerous Mowing While Backing

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks

Law Suit on Dangerous Mowing While Backing

Here is a link to a news article on the issues relating to mowing while backing. It makes me wonder about the override button on my 1025R, will there be one on 2019 models? Will there be mirrors or video installed?

The article points out many issues surrounding this poor girl. It is just so sad to think how messed up one man can make others.

Oregon law suit.

Girl who lost her leg awarded $12.25 million in Springfield lawn mower injury case | Local | Eugene, Oregon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    I'd say there is some serious drama going on in that family that's worthy of a Dr. Phil episode for the daughter to sue her own father. Yeah, it sucks she lost her leg; but was it an accident or negligence?

Just based on the limited information presented in the article; I'd say dad was negligent in numerous ways, while Deere and the dealer were not at fault. My old L-130 from that time period had the RIO (lawyer) switch and plenty of warnings in the manual about avoiding mowing while backing up.
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    The dad sounds like a grade A POS, and the girls lawyer was correct in making sure she got some of his judgment (the court kind - I hope her brains are better than his pervy gray matter ).

Lawyers are the ones who make out on these cases. After appeals, even if the verdict stands the $$$ is usually whittled down to where it might buy a nice house and some new cars, but the lawyers fees over the two decades will eat most of the cake.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 7 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    The girl will be over 20 years old when her dad gets out of prison. And then be in debt for the rest of his life. Knowing he did this to his daughter along with that sentence? That's a lot of punishment.
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rakane View Post
    Here is a link to a news article on the issues relating to mowing while backing. It makes me wonder about the override button on my 1025R, will there be one on 2019 models? Will there be mirrors or video installed?

The article points out many issues surrounding this poor girl. It is just so sad to think how messed up one man can make others.

Oregon law suit.

Girl who lost her leg awarded $12.25 million in Springfield lawn mower injury case | Local | Eugene, Oregon
    This sort of "blame everyone, sue everyone" scenario really irritates me. People should take responsibility for their own actions. Remember the McDonalds coffee spill law suit? The LAST thing I want is more cumbersome, distracting safety equipment on my tools. How can John Deere possibly be responsible for this tragic accident? We'll all suffer for this.

My brother-in-law once said that even if a mower deck had a huge warning label that read "In case you're too stupid to know better, putting your hand under the mower deck can get your fingers chopped off." Someone would sue because they didn't KNOW they were stupid and the label was therefore inadequate.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 9 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    The girl will be over 20 years old when her dad gets out of prison.

And then be in debt for the rest of his life.

Knowing he did this to his daughter along with that sentence? That's a lot of punishment.
    He will not be in debt one second,,
    his homeowners insurance will be on the hook for that money,,,

That is the purpose of these "family" lawsuits,,, get from your own family

through the "family" insurance.
    If he had enough money to afford a mower, the home was insured.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rydplrs and 6 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

MDrew (03-30-2018)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    This sort of "blame everyone, sue everyone" scenario really irritates me. People should take responsibility for their own actions. Remember the McDonalds coffee spill law suit? The LAST thing I want is more cumbersome, distracting safety equipment on my tools. How can John Deere possibly be responsible for this tragic accident? We'll all suffer for this.

My brother-in-law once said that even if a mower deck had a huge warning label that read "In case you're too stupid to know better, putting your hand under the mower deck can get your fingers chopped off." Someone would sue because they didn't KNOW they were stupid and the label was therefore inadequate.
    Story I heard, and it may just be a story, is some IDIOT wanted to use a push mower to trim his hedges and lost fingers when he picked it up to try his hedge trimming idea.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 5 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I would guess the father routinely gave the daughter rides on the mower, and when she saw it, wanted a ride and ran towards it.
    I NEVER gave rides to my daughters with my mower!

I see this a lot. Someone mowing with a very small child on their lap or one leg.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 5 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    He will not be in debt one second,,
    his homeowners insurance will be on the hook for that money,,,

That is the purpose of these "family" lawsuits,,, get from your own family

through the "family" insurance.
    If he had enough money to afford a mower, the home was insured.
    i never had given that a thought about the home owners insurance having to pay out.

i have to say this is just a stupid sue bunch of baloney. yeah i feel sorry for the girl losing her leg, but why punish everyone else for a mistake. jeepers.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 3 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    Children or pets , everybody wants them but do not have the patience to take of them . What the **** is a 2 yr old child out running around while you are mowing ? RIO , that child will be dead long BEFORE the child gets to the deck ! Kevin .
    PJR832 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast