• 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 1 Post By Phillijp

Thread: Liquid ballast nightmare

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

Liquid ballast nightmare

I'm bored so I thought I'd share a funny story today.

I had a few hours and it's raining again so I decided to fill the tires with Rim Guard. Ordinarily I remove the tire, break the bead, dump in the rim guard and inflate the tire. Easy peasy.

I didn't feel like wrestling with these tires so I decided I'd deflate the tire, set the tractor down on the ground (to squish the tires) the jack it back up and draw the rim guard through the valve stem. The tire immediately fell off the bead on one side. "Well I guess I'm doing this the usual way". I pop the tire off the tractor, lay it on it's side and the other bead comes off. I'm thinking impure thoughts now.

I burned an hour using a combination of ether and a big friggin strap to get the tire back on the rim. Not a drop of Rim Guard made it into either tire. I bowed my head and moved onto other things I could screw up.

I'll try again Monday or Tuesday but this time I'll pump it into the tire.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, fdmars and 9 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    The local tire shop sell the rim guard and install it for you. I did not know you could just buy Rim Guard by its self.
    Robnik likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    The local tire shop sell the rim guard and install it for you. I did not know you could just buy Rim Guard by its self.
    They do offer installation but it goes against my principles to pay someone something I can do myself. On top of that I don't want to shuttle tires back and forth and wait a couple days for them to do this.

I keep a barrel of Rim Guard next to the garage for occasions like these.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I feel your pain! I just posted about this in the maintenance forum. Took me a while to come up with the solution but long story short a big compressor, ratchet strap and a hodgepodge of different fittings and adapters got me there. Best of luck to you.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    2011' John Deere 2520, 62D Mower Deck, 61" Materials Bucket, 42" Frontline Pallet Forks, Imatch Quick Hitch, Ballast box W/Extension

1995 John Deere 455 AWS (For Sale)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillijp View Post
    They do offer installation but it goes against my principles to pay someone something I can do myself. On top of that I don't want to shuttle tires back and forth and wait a couple days for them to do this.

I keep a barrel of Rim Guard next to the garage for occasions like these.
    Yeah that is the challenge with taking them in. It is kind of like the what came first the chicken or the egg unless you have two machines or take the entire tractor in.

You take the wheels off the tractor to take them in to get them filled. You go to get the tires out of the vehicle/trailer but you now need a FEL. But the FEL is on the tractor and the tractor doesn't have any wheels because they are in the vehicle/trailer...

We get so used to using a FEL that when you can't you have to stop and think about how you got along without one...
    Levi, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    So today was a rain out and I was determined to finish this project, which I did but it was another soup sandwich along the way.

Here's the trick; leave about 5psi in the tire to keep it mounted to the rim and use a pump to fill the tire.

I used 3/8" line and a hose clamp to hold it to the valve stem. I poured 20 gallons into a barrel and pumped it into the tire. When I could hear the pump sucking air I knew I was done.

Once you unplug the pump the pressure within the tire will push foam and air back through the pump. To stop this I used a spray nozzle I had on hand, worked great. Be sure to rotate the valve stem to 12 o'clock.

It took about 5 minutes to pump the fluid into the tire, I was amazed how fast and how well it worked once I understood that some air pressure was needed to keep these tires mounted to the rim. Learn from my mistakes.

There will be some spillage, Rim Guard is smelly stuff that will stain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180330_175843.jpg   20180330_175449.jpg   20180330_175850.jpg  
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Phillijp--can i ask what u keep rim-guard on hand for? are u a seller of it? u are the first i have heard of that as a private person has any.

good job on ur tires
    Kennyd and Robnik like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    Phillijp--can i ask what u keep rim-guard on hand for? are u a seller of it? u are the first i have heard of that as a private person has any.

good job on ur tires
    Until recently I was a tractor hoarder of sorts. Buy them run down, fix them and sell them hopefully for a profit. It was a hobby that made money so my wife was ok with it. I also serviced tractors for friends and family also to make a little money doing something I enjoyed. There is a Rim Guard dealer about 20 minutes away and at the time I was hoarding enough tractors to justify keeping 40 or gallons on hand. I've since moved on to other things but I had a surplus of rim guard sitting next to the garage. Until I came across this tractor the only trouble I had filling tractor tires was breaking the bead. It was always faster to do that, dump the ballast then re-inflate the tire. Kind of scares me to think of the headache 2038 owners would face if they develop a leak out in the field.

I probably won't purchase any more in the near future though.
    Robnik likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements