New guy question, where to find used implements?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: New guy question, where to find used implements?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 04:31 AM
    Thanks

New guy question, where to find used implements?

Just started using my 2018 JD 1025r with 120 loader. Where is the best place people have found to search for used cat 1 3 pt attachements?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Kalamazoo, MI!

My first stop would always be Good Works Tractors although used inventory quickly changes. It is tough for anyone to maintain a constant full supply of used attachments as most dealers are simply taking in whatever is traded in to them.

So, I would create and save a Craigslist search for each implement I want. Put the distance you're willing to travel, price, etc and save a few searches and check once a day. This will be your best bet.

Otherwise, check auctions. Fall and winter are the best times to buy most attachments at auction, but deals can be had any time of year. I'm not a fan of buying tractors at auction, but implements are another story.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    My advice would be to set aside a "slush fund" for implements. Then watch Craigslist on the regular and see what pops up. You can also keep in touch with any local farm equipment dealers and auction houses that handle that sort of stuff. Give them your name & number, tell them what you're looking for and ask them to call you if something comes in.

I see equipment advertised all the time. Some of it sells fast (like within hours!) and some seems to languish for months. That's why having the slush fund is important. If you see something you want at a decent price, you have to be able to jump on it fast. If you have to wait a week to put the cash together, it'll be gone by then.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    My advice would be to set aside a "slush fund" for implements. Then watch Craigslist on the regular and see what pops up. You can also keep in touch with any local farm equipment dealers and auction houses that handle that sort of stuff. Give them your name & number, tell them what you're looking for and ask them to call you if something comes in.

I see equipment advertised all the time. Some of it sells fast (like within hours!) and some seems to languish for months. That's why having the slush fund is important. If you see something you want at a decent price, you have to be able to jump on it fast. If you have to wait a week to put the cash together, it'll be gone by then.
    Very true... Last year I found a JD 413 Rotary Cutter for $400 on Craigslist. I was the first caller. By the time I picked it up (he lived just 2 miles from our place), he had received ten calls. You have to jump on the good deals. The bad deals, such as Dearborn two bottom plows for $500 will be on CL for months. The ones for $100 will go within hours.

Depending on the type of implement, some are not much more new. I searched three months on CL for 3-pt tillers. The best ones were 10-20% below new, and the junk was "50%" below new. Given my dealer is close, buying new is often a good option.
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    For me - before the advances of internet in every home - I would make a weekly visit to my dealer and cruise the bone yard. The bone yard being the section of recently traded tractors and equipment. Picked up some great deals that way - they were eager to get rid of the implements as they always sold the tractors by themselves.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Craigslist
    Kennyd, BigJim55, ky_shawn and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    I watch CL for stuff. Not all CL sellers are very gentlemanly. I always tell them I'm on my way with cash and how long it will take me to get there in hopes that they don't sell it out from under me.

Farm auctions can be great. I watch the local auction dealers for stuff I might be interested in. Tractors and implements usually sell in the afternoon so I'm rarely in a hurry to be the first one there. I always go looking like I'm carrying my last penny with me.I wonder how many times friends have said, Drew I didn't even recognize you.

Don't forget word of mouth.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    A good source of implements for me has been estate auctions or equipment auctions. I have purchased several implements from estate auctions that looked to have been used once (light use) and never touched again. With equipment auctions I often find implements in either excellent condition or completely worn out with fewer pieces that are just "fair/average" condition.
    BigJim55, wentonbrown and sbhooper like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I watch CL for stuff. Not all CL sellers are very gentlemanly. I always tell them I'm on my way with cash and how long it will take me to get there in hopes that they don't sell it out from under me.

Farm auctions can be great. I watch the local auction dealers for stuff I might be interested in. Tractors and implements usually sell in the afternoon so I'm rarely in a hurry to be the first one there. I always go looking like I'm carrying my last penny with me.I wonder how many times friends have said, Drew I didn't even recognize you.

Don't forget word of mouth.

me-gots to ask--what does this got to do with a auction?? if someone wants to bid-i don't think they look around to see how the others are dressed-do they

now if u was going to a private home to look at stuff-being in the rags-might influence the seller someuntil u pulled out that roll of hundred dollar bills and starting crying over em
    Last edited by BigJim55; 04-15-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    MDrew and goat704! like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    The bulletin board in my local Tractor Supply store is usually covered with flyers for horses, trailers, farm equipment, hay, and various farm-related services.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast