Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Snow removal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-02-2019 @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks

Snow removal

I have a place in Northern Wisconsin. Presently I pay $600 per year for snow plowing/removal with a huge FEL. I have owned my first tractor, a 3039R for a year now. While I did move some snow, my FEL would fill fast and it took a long, long time to relocate snow, a bucket at a time.

Since it is the end of the season, I assume snow equipment might be had at a better price. This got me to wondering about the ability of my tractor to plow my 1/8 mile blacktop driveway, and what would work the best for a reasonable price?

Any suggestions regarding equipment and cost and feasibility are appreciated.
    Herminator likes this.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
    Winston Churchill

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
    Since it is the end of the season, I assume snow equipment might be had at a better price. This got me to wondering about the ability of my tractor to plow my 1/8 mile blacktop driveway, and what would work the best for a reasonable price?
    What do you consider to be a reasonable price? A loader mounted plow blade seems like a tool that should work.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What do you consider to be a reasonable price? A loader mounted plow blade seems like a tool that should work.
    I agree with jgayman, however I find it very difficult to talk about snow removal right now
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    I think a loader mounted [email protected]#! plow would work best too. What the?? I swear I typed loader mounted [email protected]#! plow...ugh, apparently my computer thinks the word [email protected]#! is a curse word!
    Gizmo2, fdmars, mark02tj and 5 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    You're going to get LOTS of varied opinions on this.

You'll have no problem moving snow with your machine. Lots of us do it with smaller machines.

So some questions to help you work through your options:

Do you have room to push snow on both sides of the driveway? If you do then a plow and/or pusher are options. If not, then look hard at a blower.

Do you get lots of smaller storms (up to 6") or more large storms (12"+)? A plow is much faster for smaller storms but a blower is sometimes faster in larger storms.
    Gizmo2, Levi, patchnball and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (05-16-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    A plow also requires somewhere to shove the snow, where a blower will send it over any landscaping/shrubery.

Mid winter, I find myself pushing the banks back into the yard because there's no room for additional snow. You never have that problem with a blower.
    Gizmo2, fdmars, Levi and 2 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-02-2019 @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    A "reasonable price might be ...... 59 cents???

Seriously, I have no idea whatsoever how much a plow or a blower would cost. In Northern Wisconsin I am in southern edge of the snow belt. We get a lot of 6" snows and a few 24" + each year. Also, go green or is there a better, more reasonable alternative? Like I said, I am a neophyte
    Gizmo2, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
    Winston Churchill

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    All depends on the type and amount of snow you get over night most of the time and if you have bad deep storms 2-4 ft deep at once! 3-6" over night is nothing to plow with even angled plywood stuck on the front end. I used my loader for a while on my 4044M was not impressed moving 6-12" of snow the rear 8' blade would smoke it on the driveway. 12/24" you need the loader to open things up some to be able to use the rear blade. 24" to 4' is a totally different matter. Then you need the big stuff like a loader, snow blower, snow pusher blade and the most used tool on a tractor the rear blade to clean up all the stuff those other tools left on the surface. Snow Blowers do not like wet snow very much and is not thrown far. Dry snow and a few rocks can take out a window on your house it throws it so far!! Don't ask but it did not break the glass. If you have 4 ft to go thru a Big Blower would be nice to drive right in and put the snow somewhere a longs ways off from the mess your working with. Best thing about dealing with snow removal you get better at it every year with the right equipment. Last 22 years I have been working with over 4 feet plus every year and only owned 1 walk behind snow blower. Then I bought a tractor after the first year with a rear blade. I was in seventh heaven just drive down the driveway and the snow slides off the rear blade to the side. Easy till you relies 3 months into winter you should have pushed it as far as it could go cause now your out of room! This is where the Loader comes in handy!! I know where a 6 ft wide snow blower is if we ever get those 20 year storms again. Till then I use a 6' Pusher Blade I made for $200.00 or so on my loader to open stuff up and the rear blade to make it nice and clean. At the end of winter I leave the rear blade on and put my Bucket on to move the piles I made over 9 ft tall with the pusher blade!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pusher2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	612946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	612954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64392-5.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	612962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3673.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	612970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3676.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	612978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0381 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	613002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0375 (800x600).jpg 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	613010 The gravel is really still there at the end of winter!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0536.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	613018 But winter is now over and I enjoy moving dirt/gravel making lots of dust with my Rear Blade instead!! Tractors sure stays cleaner in the winter around here!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0995.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	612986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0853.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	613026
    Last edited by JD4044M; 05-15-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, Jim Timber and 6 others like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
    Seriously, I have no idea whatsoever how much a plow or a blower would cost. In Northern Wisconsin I am in southern edge of the snow belt. We get a lot of 6" snows and a few 24" + each year. Also, go green or is there a better, more reasonable alternative? Like I said, I am a neophyte
    The lighter stuff will be no problem but when using a plow on the bigger storms you may need to plow with the storm - meaning you go out a few times while its snowing so it doesn't get too deep. Unlike with a snow blower where you can usually wait till it's all over and then go clean it once.

The JD front plow options are a bit limited. You will find better options elsewhere. Especially from the companies that specialize in snow removal equipment. Cost can vary a lot depending on if you want something that can be tilted hydraulically - which quite frankly I have no idea why anyone would buy something that isn't, especially with a long driveway.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    Hydraulically changing the angle on my Rear Blade is on my #1 list to deal with this summer. It would make it so nice not getting off and on to do it in the middle of a snow storm. And yes you do have to plow with the storm as it happens or you end up with a ton of work later using just a rear blade. Heck I could use it doing dirt work also!
    Gizmo2, greenharley and PJR832 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast