Tips for a novice tractor owner please!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Tips for a novice tractor owner please!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 01:28 AM
    Thanks

Tips for a novice tractor owner please!

I am taking delivery of a 2018 2025R with FEL, Frontier RC2060 rotary cutter, ballast box, auto throttle, I-Match and 3 point tractor receiver hitch this week. I have no tractor experience other than garden tractors. I did drive forklifts of many sizes for a company for several years. I realize that this is not a monster machine by any means but am sure one could get hurt or worse on the smaller machines probably easier than the big boys.

What advise and tips can one and all give me about operating a tractor safely and competently? Of course a cover to cover reading of the owners manual will be a must. Thanks!
    Last edited by mahd7766; 05-21-2018 at 12:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    Watching "Tractor Time with Tim" videos on YouTube would be a great place to start. I'm not sure if he actually has a video on operating a tractor, but just observe him in his many videos.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to raco232 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (05-21-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    And “tractors with Mike” videos
    As for bucket work, use proper ballast and keep it low and slow.
    You are off to a good start by just asking your question
    Enjoy that new
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    The first thing is to don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with. Second things is when transporting load with the FEL keep it as low to the ground as possible. The third thing is get out and have fun playing with it.

8. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,912 Posts
    If you're married, don't let the wife use it or YOU will never use it again.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    Where is the post someone put up, it was from some tractor think tank about proper tractor operations.
    It was a very good read....and perhaps either a stickie or posted prominently on forum for anyone to read
    greenharley, raco232 and PJR832 like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Safety tips

These will all be in the owners manual that you are reading cover to cover but they are worth drilling into your work habits.

1. Before starting the tractor do your safety and fluid checks.
    2. Lubricate as per the book(s). If you don't have a grease gun, get one and the proper grease. Use dry lubes or Fluid Film on moving parts without grease fittings.
    3. ]Use the seat belt. You have a ROPS and it's designed to work with the seat belt.
    4. Keep observers, especially children away from the machine. The mower can thrown things a long way. It's easy for a child to decide to walk behind a unit and you don't know they are there. Teach children and observers to approach you on a 45 degree angle from the front and stay a safe distance away until you have seen them and stopped the implement, lowered everything to the ground and shut off the engine.
    5. Become very familiar with the controls and how to attach and remove implements, loader buckets and the loader itself.
    6. Go very slow when operating on unfamiliar ground or ground with high ground cover where you may not see holes or obstacles.
    7. Like others have said, go slow with a load on the FEL and keep it as low as possible. It doesn't take much of a dip to flip the unit if you have a load up high.
    8. Become familiar with the unit before operating on steep slopes. Plan your work so you are going up and down a slope. Go down hill on the steepest slopes and use 4wd.
    9. Lower implements and the FEL and shut implements and the tractor down when you get off the tractor.
    10. Strive for smooth operation of the tractor, not speed as you are learning. The very best operators don't look like they are rushing but get more done than the person who looks like they are frantically working the unit.

Your forklift experience will help as you are used to the difference between a load up high and one close to the ground. The big difference is most fork lift operators are running on known ground- it's either concrete, asphalt or hard packed material and any defects are easily seen. That's not always the case with tractor work.

Enjoy learning your new tool. Don't try to rush the learning process and just because someone else tells you they can do something, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Get a feel for the machine on safe simple tasks and then step up to more challenging tasks.

Above all, stay safe.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    I pile a lot of brush with my loader/grapple. (See my burn pile threads).

Do NOT turn and raise the bucket/grapple (when loaded) while turning. The tractor will become unstable turning, when it would not become unstable going straight. If I start to raise a load of brush as I approach the burn pile, then decide to turn to get a different angle, I can fell the inside rear wheel get light. If I had more rear ballast, this may not be a problem Just one more thing to keep in mind.

Also keep a hand on the loader joystick and be prepared to lower the load if you feel/sense the tractor tipping.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    I had about 20 hours on my first tractor (30 hp Kubota) and was starting to get a bit confident using the loader; I was helping a buddy by clearing out a drainage ditch and almost laid that tractor over. Scared the crap out of me but it was a good wake up call.

Everybody has given great advice, I don't have anything much to add except read and reread their advice. Using the loader with either ground contact or lifting something is where things can go south in a big hurry.

When I had my dozer (Komatsu D61P) I wanted a bunch of seat time before I used it on slopes to tidy up my borrow pit. There's nothing quite like having your 20,000 pound piece of equipment sliding sideways on a grade (actually it was quite safe due to the low center of gravity and wide tracks but it still puckered my butt.)
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mahd7766 View Post
    I am taking delivery of a 2018 2025R with FEL, Frontier RC2060 rotary cutter, ballast box, auto throttle, I-Match and 3 point tractor receiver hitch this week. I have no tractor experience other than garden tractors. I did drive forklifts of many sizes for a company for several years. I realize that this is not a monster machine by any means but am sure one could get hurt or worse on the smaller machines probably easier than the big boys.

What advise and tips can one and all give me about operating a tractor safely and competently? Of course a cover to cover reading of the owners manual will be a must. Thanks!
    As raco232 mentions, we attempt to show how to use a tractor ‘by doing’, rather than a more classroom academic approach.

Occasionally, we stop to explain a specific function (like loader float), and we often show mistakes...so that others might learn.

Check us out on YouTube ‘Tractor Time with Tim’, and at http://Tractortimewithtim.com
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements