Like Tree130Likes

Thread: One tractor to replace 3?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks

One tractor to replace 3?

I have 3 tractors,
    4610 hydro with flail mower, FEL and grapple.
    a X300 lawn mower
    and a '70's vintage Wheelhorse 16hp Kohler.

I use the old Wheelhorse the most and it died Wednesday.
    Piston skirt broke away from top of piston.

Ideally I'd like to replace the 3 but in reality if I get one HEAVY DUTY lawn tractor that I could use to mow lawns with and the other stuff I use the wheel horse for I'd be good.

I use the wheel horse for getting firewood in a 20 cu ft trailer out of the woods. Its nice that it can snake into where ever without damaging or having to make a trail to get to the wood. But the big kicker is I use it to pull a drag thats 4 ft square with hundreds of small spikes on the bottom to rough up soil for seeding areas.

So I'd need something that has a strong transmission that will hold up. Seems all the newer tractors are Hydro. Will a hydro hold up as good as a gear tractor for ground engaging stuff?

Any recommendations?

I'd probably would look to buy used.
    Herminator likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    What about a Gator (side by side UTV)? Some smaller ones like the the Kubota and Kawasaki have very small ones. Something you could get even more use out of.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    I would just get something to replace the wheel horse...
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, hydro trans will hold up to ground engaging equipment, though I dont think Id consider a drag exactly ground engaging. Generally I think tiller, single bottom plow, sub soiler, etc.
    For that you want a garden tractor, NOT a lawn tractor.

I cant say what you should replace it with, but I can say Id probably look into a rebuild of the wheelhorse engine, as a good quality rebuild kit for that engine will be fairly inexpensive compared to any other options.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    My first thought was along the same lines as IndianaJim's - either rebuild that Kohler or find a used one to replace it on CraigsList.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What about a Gator (side by side UTV)? Some smaller ones like the the Kubota and Kawasaki have very small ones. Something you could get even more use out of.
    I've thought along those lines. But I'd like to also use it to mow the lawn. I then could dump the X300 which just for mowing the small lawn I have.
    Less stuff to maintain and store, keep things Simple as possible.

Ideally it would have to the following,
    Mow lawn,
    Tow trailer (20 cu ft) full of firewood, rocks, topsoil, mulch etc.
    Pull drag.

Shouldn't be too hard to get something to do those tasks

My wheelhorse is small, 3ft wide x 5 ft long.
    I'll look into Kubota and Kawasaki 4 wheelers and see about size.
    But lack of lawn mowing ability forces me to have 3 tractors/UTVs

Thanks.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I would just get something to replace the wheel horse...
    No problem replacing the wheel horse, but while I'm at it I can reduce the amount of "stuff" I have and therefore the amount of maintenance and storage space I have to have is always a bonus that should be seized upon when possible.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Yes, hydro trans will hold up to ground engaging equipment, though I dont think Id consider a drag exactly ground engaging. Generally I think tiller, single bottom plow, sub soiler, etc.
    For that you want a garden tractor, NOT a lawn tractor.

I cant say what you should replace it with, but I can say Id probably look into a rebuild of the wheelhorse engine, as a good quality rebuild kit for that engine will be fairly inexpensive compared to any other options.
    I read that the Hydro in a X300 is "light duty", can be used for mowing lawn and pulling a trailer. Even that if your mowing alot of hills that the trans will suffer a short life span.
    Is this not true? Do you think that a X300 could pull a 4' x 4' skid with 5 1 x 4's screwed to bottom of it with approx 200 3/8 x 1 spikes dragging in the packed clay/loam soil? Oh and the skid has about 100lbs of weight on it to keep it from "bouncing". If so I'll pull the mower deck off and I'm off to the races.
    I've read that a Garden tractor has a heavier duty hydro than the lawn tractors. Trouble is with the wording. Lawn & garden, lawn, garden use those words and to the salesman at the local place they all mean the same.

If a garden tractor is what I'm needing give me some examples. What does JD make that would work for me? Do they still make anything with gear drives in Garden tractors?

I like the gear drive, I think its heavier duty than a hydro and when I'm in the woods with a load of firewood and the tires start spinning I can leave the tractor in gear, get off and push it till it starts moving on its own. My little Wheelhorse has 6 speeds, the first 4 are so slow that walking will keep up the tractor.

Am I wrong on the gear drives?

I don't follow latest info on any of this stuff. I've had the wheelhorse for over 25 years and only got the X300 cause my wife outsmarted me. Its a long story.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,912 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1025r_cut_studio_r4c007075_large_c434a777f5106df64cc2fb423047c5566ed92e8f.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	624154
    Add a FEL
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    My first thought was along the same lines as IndianaJim's - either rebuild that Kohler or find a used one to replace it on CraigsList.
    2 downsides to rebuilding the kohler,
    1) time, I don't have the time to wait. I have to get 2 acres roughed up and get the seed bed prepped for planting. Maybe 3 weeks at most to get it roughed up, seeded and covered with straw before the growing season gets on the short side.
    2) At a certain point I think I'm throwing good money after bad. Even if I rebuild the Kohler I'm stuck with a almost 50 year old tractor that has lots of other wear and tear on it but with a "new" engine. What do you think the cost of rebuilding the engine would run? $1000 or more? Cost for a Piston and ring set is $330. Some parts are not available "new" from kohler anymore. I know there are ways past that but always at a cost.
    Right now the front suspension/steering is loose, the rear diff has a leak, the whole clutch/belt/pulley system is getting loose so that the clutch grabs right at the top. I'm used to it, doesn't bother me but its not right. Its not like it was only used by a little old lady to mow her 1/4 acre of flat lawn at her summer cottage 3 times a year.

Don't get me wrong, I like my old wheelhorse, its been a work horse for many years. I've used the crap out of it. But at a certain point its time to move on. I won't shed a tear when I pull the plug, its just another tool in the tool box.

If in the process I can get something that does the lawn mowing chores while being able to do the other chores its a win all around for me.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast