JD 345, Kawaski FD611 started intermittent white smoke, no power loss

Thread: JD 345, Kawaski FD611 started intermittent white smoke, no power loss

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks

JD 345, Kawaski FD611 started intermittent white smoke, no power loss

Checked the compression on both cylinders and reads 180 psi (182 psi exactly on both).

Had lost coolant slowly through SOMEWHERE I can't find, and hot light had come on. Added coolant, and proceeded to continue mowing. Then, I had about a 2 second cloud of white smoke, then ran another minute or two and same cloud of white smoke, so I brought it in and shut it down. That's when I tore it down to the motor, and found only that two carb mounting nuts were loose, and tightened them. NO COOLANT leaking anywhere that I could find, and radiator was very nearly full. Thermostat is only 4 months old, and hoses are all good.

Any ideas or experience with this type of problem?

I was thinking that it appears the intake manifold casting has 2 passages, between the cylinder heads for intake, and second passage appears to be a coolant passage? Could it be an intake gasket leak, that causes a drip into the intake to cause the smoke?

HELP !

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Just an update on situation. I found the oil contaminated with coolant, and the overflow/relief tube from the water pump to the carb had the milky residue in it also, which is what caused the white smoke.

I have bags of parts and am taking it to the JD dealer for a new water pump.

Cheers.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going to suggest you have a bad head gasket, to have coolant in your oil. Also I have no idea what you could mean about any kind of tube that connects the carb to the water pump? I've never heard of such a thing. Are you sure that Isn't breather tube from the crankcase to the carb?
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements