• 1 Post By klunker
  • 1 Post By Bulitt

Thread: hours vs model year and price.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks

hours vs model year and price.

SO I'm looking for a used 2720, 2520 or a 2032.
    I think its a great choice for me and what I need.

Is it just me, and it usually is, but isn't a older tractor with say 300 hrs worth more than a newer model with 600 hrs? This is assuming same model.
    Or do most value year more than lower hours?

Or is there an issue or a difference that I am not aware of with some of the older 2 series tractors that the older models are cheaper, even the ones with low hours?
    rw580 likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Well, not to be the master of the obvious, but condition matters too. I'd also be interested in DOCUMENTED maintenance records. To answer your question, I do think low hours make a tractor worth more than year, but there are many other variables to consider when figuring out whether a tractor is worth more. I bought a 2012 2320 here from a member who is known to take excellent care of his tractors. That was worth a lot to me. Obviously if it had 1000 hours as opposed to 200, it would have given me pause, but then I'd consider the maintenance and condition to determine whether it was worth the price. That being said, I compared it to the new 2025r and determined that it was a better machine for me.

You also have to do your research about each model and year. A new model may not have the same capability as the older model. I guess it boils down to what matters to you. Some want/need better ergonomics or ease of mounting implements, others want more lifting ability. So value is determined by the individual. Asking price can be very different than selling price.
    Zebrafive and rw580 like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Of course more goes into it.

But as simple is my question is a simple answer was expected.

Are lower hours and older worth less than newer with significantly higher hours?
    No need to worry about condition, options etc.
    But condition should be better with lower hours, the two USUALLY go together.

Again, I see in the used market that "generally" a older lower hr machine is priced lower than a newer higher hr machine.

All else being equal I don't put ANY value in year. Am I out of the herd on this thinking?

When you add in the fact that new machines over 25 HP have to meet tier 4 an older pre-tier 4 machine has higher value automatically.
    Especially for a home owner/hobbyist vs a commercial operator. Again, my preference.

Please, everyone, I ask only to see if I'm out in left base on my thinking. Not trying to be confrontational.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    To me the only time the model year really plays into a used tractor is if there was a significant difference between years. For example the 2 series in 2017 under went a generational change and so I would expect a noticeable price difference between certain model years.

Most JD tractors have multi year runs where there is little to no variation between years so I would not necessarily base a price on the model year but more of the amount of hours and condition, with condition being more important to me than hours.
    ctrider likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Thanks
    I would give preference to hours (and of course condition) up to a point. In the past I've tended to keep my vehicles maybe too long. Somewhere around 15 years, the rubber parts all start to rot and need to be replaced. Think fuel lines, O-rings, gaskets, etc. I'm changing my view about how long to keep stuff. I value reliability more as I'm less able to be in repair mode constantly.
    coaltrain and kylew like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    Of course more goes into it.

But as simple is my question is a simple answer was expected.

Are lower hours and older worth less than newer with significantly higher hours?
    No need to worry about condition, options etc.
    But condition should be better with lower hours, the two USUALLY go together.

Again, I see in the used market that "generally" a older lower hr machine is priced lower than a newer higher hr machine.

All else being equal I don't put ANY value in year. Am I out of the herd on this thinking?

When you add in the fact that new machines over 25 HP have to meet tier 4 an older pre-tier 4 machine has higher value automatically.
    Especially for a home owner/hobbyist vs a commercial operator. Again, my preference.

Please, everyone, I ask only to see if I'm out in left base on my thinking. Not trying to be confrontational.
    All things (other than model year) being equal, I would pay more for a low hour machine, thinking there are more usable hours "left" in that machine.

BUT I would still factor in condition, especially if were talking both are low hours compared to expected service life. Example; If I found a 500 hour machine that looked like it spent it's entire life sitting outside (faded paint, rubber parts looking cracked, hard, faded) verses a 1000 hour machine that looked well cared for, that's the one I would buy.

A little "off topic" I see in Craigslist ads pictures of older JD tractors that you can tell they bought two rattle cans of paint, green and yellow. They paint the wheels yellow and usually some of the tires too, and everything else green, including rust, dirt, grease, hoses, wiring, EVERYTHING. They look good in a picture and from 20 feet, but I would rather see "honest wear" than a rattle can "cover up"

I know a guy that buys, restores and collects tractors. His paint jobs are professional. He will not buy one that has just been painted. He told me went to look at one and the owner told him he planned top paint it and ask more. He said if you paint it, I wont buy it.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    All things (other than model year) being equal, I would pay more for a low hour machine, thinking there are more usable hours "left" in that machine.

BUT I would still factor in condition, especially if were talking both are low hours compared to expected service life. Example; If I found a 500 hour machine that looked like it spent it's entire life sitting outside (faded paint, rubber parts looking cracked, hard, faded) verses a 1000 hour machine that looked well cared for, that's the one I would buy.

A little "off topic" I see in Craigslist ads pictures of older JD tractors that you can tell they bought two rattle cans of paint, green and yellow. They paint the wheels yellow and usually some of the tires too, and everything else green, including rust, dirt, grease, hoses, wiring, EVERYTHING. They look good in a picture and from 20 feet, but I would rather see "honest wear" than a rattle can "cover up"

I know a guy that buys, restores and collects tractors. His paint jobs are professional. He will not buy one that has just been painted. He told me went to look at one and the owner told him he planned top paint it and ask more. He said if you paint it, I wont buy it.
    Your example of the 500 hr vs 1000 hr machine is in the extreme. "normal" wear and tear would dictate that a 500 hr machine would be in better shape.
    Of course there are extremes out there.

I'm with you on the painting touch ups. In my younger days I bought many an older car, I'd always pass on fresh repaints. Cars and tractors with signs of honest and typical use are preferred over fresh repaints.

Thanks for your .02
    Zebrafive likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Not such an easy answer as you can see.

I purchased a 6 yr old 2520 in 2017 with 60 hrs on it. Probably only had 1 oil change. Hydraulic fluid was probably original. It is in "new" condition.
    So, low hrs may not be an indication of service. Receipts are a good thing.

Prior I owned a 2305 with 450hrs on it. Full service records. All the problems had been sorted out and the machine ran flawlessly. So, high hrs may be an indication that the machine was well serviced and able to reach higher hrs on the clock.

I simply want the largest return for my dollar. Low hrs, great condition, excellent price.

And there are some incredible machines offered at low prices. I see them all the time- garage kept, washed and waxed, extensive service.
    Many buyers are attracted to new machines offerred with 0% financing. So the used market is full of good values IMHO.

Keep looking- Clist, searchtempest, Machinery trader, ebay etc. It may take awhile but you will stumble on a real gem with low hrs at a great price!

And love my 2011 2520. Only reason I moved on from the 2305 was the larger front tires on the 2520.
    ky_shawn likes this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements