Question for all owners....do others show off your equipment?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Question for all owners....do others show off your equipment?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks

Question for all owners....do others show off your equipment?

Kind of a weird title I know, but I couldnt find a good way to word what I wanted in such a small space.

How do you all handle it when a neighbor or friend says "Hey, so and so is going to be here tomorrow and Id like to bring them by so I can show them your tractor"?
    Maybe Im alone in that "problem."

My neighbor, who is a great guy, has done this a couple times. First time was just my garage, then my saws, now the tractor.
    Im a fairly private person, and not too trusting of people I dont know. I wont get into why, other than to say that I wasnt always this way, but life and work has made me take a harder look at who I allow near me and my family and our home.

Anyway, Im just wondering how best to handle it without pissing off my neighbor. In this case, and the previous ones, its his brother. Ive met him before and to be honest dont care much for him. Brags a lot, and doesnt take too much care with other peoples things, and not the brightest crayon in the box. The one time I let him use my saw when we were cutting up a couple trees wed just dropped for my neighbor, he ran the chain right into the ground on the second cut, then twice more before I told him he was done. My neighbor helps me with stuff and I help him with quite a bit of stuff, so being angry about much of anything isnt very productive.

Now, I dont care that he knows I have it, Im just not a fan of having people over here looking at my stuff.
    I guess I figure he can see it all he wants when hes over here helping do some work, otherwise, Ive got other stuff to do.

Sure I could say I wont be home, but while there is a good bit of woods between us, you can still make out my garage and vehicles from his place, and Im not big on lying to people either.

Id much rather just tell him that I dont appreciate him doing that to me, but saying it and coming across as not being a jerk are two different things. Im a fairly direct person anyway, so I have a hard enough time not coming off like that when Im not trying to tip toe around something.
    fdmars, Tomfive, Levi and 7 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    Tough Call. If it's the brother again you're probably going to have a hard time coming up with an excuse. If he's bringing over someone you've never met I think you're just going to have to flat out tell him you're not really comfortable with him bringing strangers over to see your stuff. Yeah, he may know them, but you don't. And, tell him "how do you think you'd feel if I brought over a bunch of my friends to check out your tools, your garage and your wife?" Well, maybe leave the wife out of it, but you get my drift.

I don't like strangers around my place either. Sweetie wants to hire a cleaning service and we've had maids here before - but I don't like it! I don't like people in my stuff. You never know who they will say something too that might want a new tractor, a new gun, etc.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    I've always found that being straight up with friends, neighbors, and family seems to be the best practice. Most people appreciate frankness. Sometimes folk aren't even aware of boundaries and will gladly cooperate if they know them. If the neighbor is a good guy, he will become an even better friend knowing how you feel.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Tough Call. If it's the brother again you're probably going to have a hard time coming up with an excuse. If he's bringing over someone you've never met I think you're just going to have to flat out tell him you're not really comfortable with him bringing strangers over to see your stuff. Yeah, he may know them, but you don't. And, tell him "how do you think you'd feel if I brought over a bunch of my friends to check out your tools, your garage and your wife?" Well, maybe leave the wife out of it, but you get my drift.

I don't like strangers around my place either. Sweetie wants to hire a cleaning service and we've had maids here before - but I don't like it! I don't like people in my stuff. You never know who they will say something too that might want a new tractor, a new gun, etc.
    Im the same way with people around here. Had a tough time with having a baby sitter a few years back for the kids. Luckily now one is old enough to watch the others.
    I had a really tough time when we sold our home. Letting people come in that we dont know and then the inspector wanting everyone out of the home, which is normal, really worked on my nerves for a while. Luckily it sold fast and we didnt have to have all sorts of people through it for months.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    I've always found that being straight up with friends, neighbors, and family seems to be the best practice. Most people appreciate frankness. Sometimes folk aren't even aware of boundaries and will gladly cooperate if they know them. If the neighbor is a good guy, he will become an even better friend knowing how you feel.
    Thats sort of the conclusion I have come to too.
    I think I am just one of those that needs a day or so to cool off before talking to someone about something that bugs me, otherwise I can tend to get a bit hot headed. More so than normal I guess.
    Lucky for me, thats going away with age. 20 years ago Id have told him in no uncertain terms he isnt to invite others to my property for any reason, ever. And probably thrown in a few other things as well. As I get nearer to AARP status, it seems to be getting easier for me to be a bit more tactful in my responses, as long as I think it through a bit.
    Levi, OxPath, Marlin and 6 others like this.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Kind of a weird title I know, but I couldnt find a good way to word what I wanted in such a small space.

How do you all handle it when a neighbor or friend says "Hey, so and so is going to be here tomorrow and Id like to bring them by so I can show them your tractor"?
    Maybe Im alone in that "problem."

My neighbor, who is a great guy, has done this a couple times. First time was just my garage, then my saws, now the tractor.
    Im a fairly private person, and not too trusting of people I dont know. I wont get into why, other than to say that I wasnt always this way, but life and work has made me take a harder look at who I allow near me and my family and our home.

Anyway, Im just wondering how best to handle it without pissing off my neighbor. In this case, and the previous ones, its his brother. Ive met him before and to be honest dont care much for him. Brags a lot, and doesnt take too much care with other peoples things, and not the brightest crayon in the box. The one time I let him use my saw when we were cutting up a couple trees wed just dropped for my neighbor, he ran the chain right into the ground on the second cut, then twice more before I told him he was done. My neighbor helps me with stuff and I help him with quite a bit of stuff, so being angry about much of anything isnt very productive.

Now, I dont care that he knows I have it, Im just not a fan of having people over here looking at my stuff.
    I guess I figure he can see it all he wants when hes over here helping do some work, otherwise, Ive got other stuff to do.

Sure I could say I wont be home, but while there is a good bit of woods between us, you can still make out my garage and vehicles from his place, and Im not big on lying to people either.

Id much rather just tell him that I dont appreciate him doing that to me, but saying it and coming across as not being a jerk are two different things. Im a fairly direct person anyway, so I have a hard enough time not coming off like that when Im not trying to tip toe around something.
    I could easily have wrote this - all except for the fact of having a neighbor.

We are very private people also - and also very straight forward. Maybe thatís why I (we) donít have any actual ďfriendsĒ. But anyway - go with your gut. If you are uncomfortable just donít do it. Your neighbor really doesnít have the right to invite someone else to your shop/garage/house.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Im the same way with people around here. Had a tough time with having a baby sitter a few years back for the kids. Luckily now one is old enough to watch the others.
    I had a really tough time when we sold our home. Letting people come in that we dont know and then the inspector wanting everyone out of the home, which is normal, really worked on my nerves for a while. Luckily it sold fast and we didnt have to have all sorts of people through it for months.
    We are at kind of one of those cross roads with life and talked about the possibility of moving after living here for 21 years. My biggest fear is just as you said - people trapping through the house if we decided to sell and move.

And never had a baby sitter - never. My daughter was with us all the time.
    Tomfive, IndianaJim, Levi and 7 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    I started reading this thread yesterday and I didn't know what I would write. We are private people too, and we don't mind showing good friends some of our stuff, but it is always on our terms, at a time convenient to us. We don't like strangers in our home and worry about letting them know what we have ... giving out information for a possible future break-in, because now they know what security we have, what we own, and where it is in the house.

Maybe we're a little paranoid, and maybe we watch too much TV, but I grew up in NYC and though it's a nice city, we always locked our doors when out and before going to bed. Whenever we had repair people in our house, we'd watch them constantly.

This reminds me of an incident my brother had many, many years ago. They had a crew come in to put French drains in their basement, probably took about a week, so they were not watched constantly. No one in his family drinks alcohol, and being an MD, they used to get a lot of gifts of liquor during the holidays, which they stored in their basement. Flash forward to sometime in the future when they threw a party and brought up some of their liquor gifts ... All the liquor bottles were empty, most were in gift boxes, bottles were inside, caps/corks in place, and placed neatly back on the shelves. Either the crew had a "happy" time working, or they filled their thermos bottles every day with expensive booze. Never did they suspect anything while the crew was there.

So to answer the OP's original question, if you're not comfortable, then politely decline and maybe a brief reason why. Don't insinuate anything about the neighbor's friends or brother, just decline.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    At least he asked and did not show up with someone expecting the nickel tour. I would tell him, sorry I don't want strangers here. I would NEVER offer to show off any of my friends equipment.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks

Not for me

I wouldn't be comfortable having anyone inside my house or garage to see my stuff. Outside the house, maybe but not inside. Years ago we had a cleaning team come into the house. They were recommended, supposedly background checked, insured etc. It was the day before we were to leave on vacation. When they left, so did my wife's ring which she didn't miss until we were loading up to leave the next day. It turns out a "new" person on the crew had some drug issues but the company said we had to prove she had taken it. Good luck with that. Fortunately, we did have an insurance rider that covered it but that was not a happy time.

Now if someone comes in the house, I either know them or watch pretty carefully. We had a cable guy come in the house who I think would have pilfered anything he could except I was watching. I told the company not to send him again. I was enough larger that I guess he figured if he took something I might just pick him up by the ankles and shake to see what fell out of his pockets. Alas, I couldn't do that now- age has some consequences and not all of them are good.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, IndianaJim, Levi and 7 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Iíd just say no I donít like strangers knowing what I have. Call me paranoid but it would bug me, so please donít bring people to look around.

If your neighbor gets upset about that it wasnít worth trying to get along in the first place. Respecting others, their stuff, and their feelings is basic decency, and a requirement to anyone I call a friend, or invite over.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast