• 1 Post By MowJoe
  • 1 Post By Levi

Thread: Tire choice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-25-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

Tire choice

I'm getting my mind right on several issues thanks to you good and knowledgeable folks. On a different thread you had me consider the average type of usage to help select a tractor model, but now I'm wondering if the turf tires would make more sense over the industrials. 75% mowing-25% chores. The chores would include 200' gravel driveway maintenance (snow plowing as well). My current machine has turfs and the one before that did also. Always used weights and chains though but never has 4x4. Only ever 2x with traction lock on both. I take that back. My 1978 JD316 did not have traction lock. It had turning brakes. Anyhow.....can I live out my days with turf tires on a 1025R ?? Are the R4s that rough on grass ? I'll bet lots of you do a lot of mowing with R4s.
    Levi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-05-2018 @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    I do all my mowing with industrial tires and it hasn't damaged my lawn, that being said, for your described usage turf would most likely be preferable, unless you plan on taxing the front loader wieght wise, that's when I think the increased sidewall strength of the industrials is required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Id say turfs would probably be your best bet.

Been a while since I looked at what turfs were offered on the 1025R, but it would sure be nice to have something like the Galaxy Garden Pros offered on the larger tractors. That tire looks like a cross between a turf and an AG tire.

Ive got R4s on my 2025, and while they dont tear up the yard when its dry, my yard stays fairly damp. They will leave imprints through most of Spring. If I get too crazy, it will tear up the grass.
    This time of year though, I doubt seriously that Deeres old 855B crawler would tear up the ground much.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    For your uses described I would without doubt go with turf or HDAP tread. You will quickly discover every rough spot in your lawn riding on R4 industrial tires. The JD I currently own is my first tractor purchase with R4's, all previous tractors had R1's. The day I removed the R4's to bolt on new tires was one heck of a happy day. I was more excited getting rid of the R4's than I was when I hauled the tractor home after purchasing.
    Levi and Herminator like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks
    I will echo what most have already said, mine has the R4 tires and I really wish I had got turfs. The R4 rides rougher and imprints a damp yard. I would trade for turfs in a heartbeat!

‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower
    ky_shawn likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-25-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

tire choice

OK thanks. Will 4x4 be enough to plow snow or will the turfs need to be chained up. Nothing very steep here for me.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkinsondom View Post
    I do all my mowing with industrial tires and it hasn't damaged my lawn, that being said, for your described usage turf would most likely be preferable, unless you plan on taxing the front loader wieght wise, that's when I think the increased sidewall strength of the industrials is required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Another way to deal with the extra front end weight with turf tires is to increase the tire pressure. When I had my Simplicity I would put the 48" 2-stage blower on an increase tire pressure to 20-25 pounds. That I think helped the turfs deal with the added weight.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Just my .02 cents worth. I stayed with the R-4's when I traded for my current 1026R. I now wish I'd have had them put the HDAP tires on it that I had on the 2210 I traded. I need side bite and the R-4's don't have it. When these R-4's wear out enough to warrant getting new I'll be getting the HDAP type with the same or better ply rating that the R-4's have. I've entertained the idea of getting the AG tires but they don't have side bite either. I can't always go up or down on our hills and have to go side to side so side bite is important. I have to admit that the R-4's do a better job then turfs when going sideways on a hill and want to turn up hill.
    ky_shawn likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements