Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Dented my grill

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks

Dented my grill

I decided to share this hoping it might help someone else. A month ago, I mustered up the gusto to clean up some debris around the yard that was bugging me and the wife. I pushed back some brush that was imposing on our trails from the winter. We also pulled out a huge burning bush, roots and all (yes, using the drawbar). Everything was then grappled out to a brush pile at the back of the property, altogether a few hours work. At some point later, I was mortified to find that the grill had somehow been mashed in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orig_dam_BG_closed.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	637518

Name:	Orig_dam_BG_open.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	637520

Upon a quick inspection, I could see that although the dent wasn't massive, the damage to the grill components was and the hood was going to have to come off just to determine what was needed. Unfortunately, it appears the junior cubicle jockeys at Deere saw fit to construct this grill out of several intricate little bits and pieces instead of basic and robust parts. I guess this is necessary to get the style and appearance of the model line. There are tons of tiny 3mm screws, rivets, and pricey fancy rubber backed washers.

Name:	Orig_dam_BG_backside.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	637524

Name:	Orig_dam_BG_fasteners.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	637526

So after all is said and done, this adds up to just south of $450 worth of damage. Replacing the whole hood would have been around $1400. This tractor has just over 100 hours on the clock so there's no way I can leave it like that. So there she sits, waiting for the replacements to arrive. Thankfully, I don't have any needs for it right now so it's no big deal.

Name:	Tractor_no_hood.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	637528

Name:	Hood_disassembled_end.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	637530

Name:	Hood_disasembled_side.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	637532

Having owned both 1000 series and 2000 series tractors, I can confidently say that one of the things I enjoy the least about this size tractor is the tremendous dead spot of visibility in front of them. And I know that it only gets worse and worse as you go up in size. I say this as something to consider for anyone dreaming of jumping into a larger tractor. Two other downsides I would mention while on the subject would be the higher center of gravity (tippiness) and the much less sensitive loader joystick controls (due to the use of cables instead of a direct connection to the SCV). But, until recently, if you wanted a Deere with a cab, the 3000R's were it.

With regard to the damage to my grill, for those thinking I should have had the add-on brush guard from Deere installed, it would not have helped. This particular piece of debris somehow snaked under the lowest cross bar of the brush guard and the add-on Deere unit doesn't cover that area.

Chris - 3720 TLB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mods, please feel free to rotate my vertical images and delete this.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    That's a bummer. I was just pushing into a brush pile this morning with my 2720. My guard is like yours and is pretty much useless at protecting the grill from protruding objects. I see they make an add-on screen for your 3-series loader. I wish they had something similar for the 200CX loaders.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brush_guard2.jpg  
    Levi, JKR, keane and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

C-Range (07-28-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Man, I'm sorry for your troubles and like you, I couldn't leave my tractor like that either. I am amazed I have not had the same damage occur to my 3520 yet. You are spot on regarding the tremendous dead spot in visibility. This is my first tractor with a cab and although it's great for doing work that doesn't require attention to detail such a driving across fields bushhogging, the cab stinks for those tasks you really need to see what your doing. The tippiness is also another issue that I underestimated the true extent of when I decided to purchase a cab tractor. The first two years of ownership I was unable to operate the 3520 in some areas that I had always maintained with the previous tractors I owned. The cab was a big factor but the narrow wheel base the R4's created was another huge factor. I finally purchased R1's and wheels that allow for various tread widths and can honestly say it was the best money I have spent on the tractor yet. The stability the tractor now has is great! I would suggest anyone owning a cab 3 series who is experiencing regular pucker moments to look into wheel spacers or switching to R1's and wheels that allow for various tread widths. Having a wider stance on my tractor has made it a completely different machine!
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Zebrafive, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This is also the first tractor I've had that was also tip-sensitive fore and aft. I crested a hill top with the backhoe mounted and just my Artillian forks on front. When the front wheels reached the crest of the hill, the front of the tractor just kept driving skyward. Luckily, letting jerkishly off the pedal was just enough to bring the wheels back down after a second or so. If that hadn't worked, I'd have been helpless and rolled it straight backward, and then likely to one side or another.

If that didn't kill me, my wife would have. She was about 50 feet away.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Project complete. All together, it took about 7-8 hours to perform. The hardest part was guessing what order things had to be put back and in some cases, where exactly they went.

With a job like this where you have no instructions other than a screen shot of the John Deere parts exploded view web page, it's tough to guess the assembly order on the first try. Therefore, there was a lot of "one step forward and two steps back". This especially stinks when some of the parts get riveted together using special JD rivets. Fortunately, when all was said and done, we had no leftover fasteners. And due to some confusingly redundant part ordering, the final cost was reduced to around $275.

I hope this doesn't happen to too many others!

Name:	20180728_163140.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	744.5 KB 
ID:	640620

Name:	20180728_163159.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	759.1 KB 
ID:	640622

Name:	20180728_163232.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	694.5 KB 
ID:	640624
    Chris - 3720 TLB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Range For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (07-28-2018)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    That looks GREATc Chris!!

You are obviously much more anal about stuff like that than I am. I put a dent in my grill the first year I had my tractor. It's still there.
    Kennyd, Zebrafive, pappa and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    That looks GREATc Chris!!

You are obviously much more anal about stuff like that than I am. I put a dent in my grill the first year I had my tractor. It's still there.
    Yeah..a bit LOL
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Yeah..a bit LOL
    Now I've heard it all. Look at the pot calling the kettle black!

Mark, I considered leaving it but with such low hours on this tractor and a strong likelihood that it will be going up for sale in the not too distant future, I just couldn't leave it with that black eye.

Plus, the 3720 Cab has sort of been my dream tractor for years, not to sound silly, but now that I actually have one, it does get treated like a bit of a prize. In fact, my new truck sits outside, ha ha.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks

Damaged Grill

Well, yesterday I decided to do a small amount of brush removal/take down and wasn't paying attention ....... Guess I need to get those grill guards mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2624.jpg   IMG_2625.jpg   IMG_2626.jpg  
    2017 JD 2038R, 220R Loader Heavy Bucket, Single Point Hydro
    60" MMM w/ Mulching Kit, JD iMatch, Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar,
    Custom Deck Dolly, Titan Forks, Strongway Plug Aerator,
    ECHO 58V Trimmer, Blower & Chainsaw, Ford F250,
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, 92 American Skier, 18 Lamar Tilt
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast