Gotta be something to work on...
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepjeff
  • 2 Post By mark02tj
  • 5 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By RodW
  • 1 Post By jeepjeff

Thread: Gotta be something to work on...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks

Gotta be something to work on...

A couple weeks ago I got the 2nd JD of my life, a 1999 LT155 for mowing the lawn (3 city lots). Always regretted selling my 1st JD about a dozen years ago, a 1960's 110 that looked and ran great. Been using a couple Craftsman tractors since then because I have a snowblower for them. I now retired my Craftsman to snow duty only and that will be at my parents house because their driveway is huge while mine is quite short. Anyway to my point for this post.

Just like with my Jeeps I seem to be finding things not quite right on my JD so I will have to work on it. When I say "seem to be finding" I mean I purposely make excuses to work on the thing even though all is well and she is running fine. Like with my Jeeps it simply feels right when I am tinkering with it. I thoroughly enjoy wrenching or painting or tweaking on the JD. I've repainted the top half of the hood after I noticed a small crack so I used some epoxy glue and drywall tape (the type that's a sticky mesh-like material) on the back side to fix it, changed the oil/filter, fuel filter, spark plug, drive and deck belts, power washed the entire mower including the underneath, and properly inflated all the tires. Then yesterday I decided to re-install the battery side leads for the battery tender and routed it down the inside of the dashboard housing and out the bottom so all that is visible is the actual fitting that connects to the charger's leads. Then I came inside and bought a used steering wheel that is in great shape for $17 including shipping, they wanted $14 + shipping and I offered $10 + shipping and was surprised when they accepted because the wheel is like new. My steering wheel has cracks and is in rough shape. I felt so good about it that I ordered a spare carburetor and fuel filter shipped to my door for $18.01. Good thing they don't make lift kits, armour, and other custom goodies that I know of - yet! Not bad for owning the thing for about two weeks but I'm sure something else will pop up......
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Funny - I had to work on my Jeep a LOT more than I have to work on my tractor!
    89420 and Robnik like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

I got over it

Funny, I used to enjoy tinkering much more than I do now. I still do what's necessary but it's just not as much fun as it used to be. Now, I just want to use tractors to get work done. . .

Whatever time you spend with your tractor that gives you joy is a good thing. Heck, if sitting in your garage looking at it makes you happy, go for it. Just tell your wife that you have a complicated project that you are thinking about.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
    I'm sure something else will pop up......
    We'll, if you've fully "tweaked" the tractor itself, you could build a few accessories...
    (The link in my signature block may provide some ideas.)
    Robnik likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rodw, you've got it bad dude! But quite creative and I like that...

Treefarmer,

Mark02tj, I had a 4cyl 02TJ for about a year and sold it to get my 06 Rubi unlimited (the last year with metal fenders and two door unlimiteds). Regarding working on the Jeep she don't get neglected either, I am headed to Romeo, MI today to pick up some parts I am purchasing from a Craigslist ad. They will keep me going until my JD parts get here. This is my 6th Jeep! Only vehicle I have ever driven where I enjoy driving it every time I buckle up.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    I have an '02 TJ (hence my handle ) hat I bought in 2007. Had a lot of fun with it, but probably putting it up for sale soon. The '06 Rubi LJ is probably the best Jeep there is! Super capable with the extra interior room to make it a useful daily driver.

I have a Tuffy storage drawer, a Tuffy storage box, a set of adjustable control arms and some other Jeep stuff that I'm putting up for sale. PM me if you're interested and maybe we can work out a deal.

Romeo, MI? You must be up around my sister. She lives in Shelby Twp, north of Detroit.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You can see my 06 Rubi LJ in my avatar picture, but the top is painted black now. I think I just spent my budget for a while but will keep you in mind if I find something that needs to be fixed on it. Ended up getting four tires with rims on top of what I went there for so needless to say that she who must be obeyed is not happy and has laid down the law. This after I even sold some full length 3" diameter rocker guards and cloth + windows from a LJ soft top. Check out the site www.jeepforum.com and join us in the rubi club. BTW, I had to drive 1.5 hours southeast to get to Romeo.
    Last edited by jeepjeff; 07-14-2018 at 12:43 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements