Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: How much light is too much?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks

Question How much light is too much?

I keep thinking about adding more lighting to the tractor, in particular for the nighttime after-work snow clearing that seems to happen a few times a year. Iím out in the boonies with no roadside lighting or city light pollution to help illuminate things. I need more forward lighting to really see and need back lighting so I can stop using the backhoe as an indicator of when to stop. (Bump. ďI guess thatís far enough.Ē)

So Iíve looked a bit at some light bars. How much do I need 27 watt? 120 watt? 240 watt? I donít know if 240 is overkill. The stock headlights (50w x2) and the work lights (37.5w x2) = 170 watts... but thatís not lumen. How many lumen does that push out? I need more, but how much?

Iíve seen lots of people adding the smaller round or square 27-35 watt LED lights. (Which is actually x2 output with two of them.) But is that enough? Doubling distance requires 4x the power to light, so...

Any feedback appreciated.
    Robnik likes this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Keep in mind that as a slow moving vehicle you don't really need to illuminate 100 yards out in front of the tractor. Likewise with behind the tractor. You are better off with lights that have a broader pattern.
    mjncad, tj1, danwolfgang and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    I mounted 3 LED lights on my ROPS. 2 facing forward, 1 facing rearward. Each LED light is 18 watt/1260 lumens.

When I flip all 3 of those on while clearing snow it's like daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. The OEM headlamp bulbs for the 1025R are 37.5 watt/910 lumen "Type 862" bulbs. (JD Part # AXE16948)
    mjncad, keane, tj1 and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

goat704!†(07-17-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Thanks
    I have 4 of those LED Lights and love them. 2 Forward and 2 Reversed at the top of my roll bar.
    mjncad, tj1, danwolfgang and 4 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    I have a small light bar mounted to sunshade from in front and small round mounted in back. Both a cheapies from Tractor Supply. They do an awesome job. The front light being high and forward really gets out in front of the snow Pusher.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	49B47AED-24FA-4687-B924-5D0945F531D9.jpg†
Views:	57†
Size:	61.5 KB†
ID:	638956
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	77F45296-E4AE-4524-A62A-2EDD848DB303.jpg†
Views:	53†
Size:	39.6 KB†
ID:	638958
    tj1, danwolfgang, ky_shawn and 3 others like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60Ē Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks
    You probably want to decide on how you will be powering them. If you use the stock work light circuit look up how many amps that can provide. On a 2032/38r that was 20 amps. The other option is trigger a relay off that circuit to get more power. I ended up up putting ~240 watts worth of LEDs on mine basically maxing the circuit (I didnít even think to check before). Itís plenty of light IMHO.

2032R/2038R ROPS lights
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72Ē MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    tj1, danwolfgang, ky_shawn and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Keep in mind that as a slow moving vehicle you don't really need to illuminate 100 yards out in front of the tractor. Likewise with behind the tractor. You are better off with lights that have a broader pattern.
    This right here is what I would have said as well. You don't need to see very far as fast as these tractors are, I have floods on mine and it lights up about 50-60 ft in front and behind me like a football field under the lights.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm not yet set on how to power the lights, as I'm not sure if I want to add some extra switches to control them or not. If I want the existing work lights on, I would probably want the additional lights I'm thinking about adding, too. So then they don't need an extra switch. But, the flexibility of turning on/off what I need could be useful... If the draw is small enough I could just plug into the stock harness, which sounds easy, but I'm not opposed to running some new wire. Really, I just want to do this once and in my mind that means I need to figure out how much lighting I need to be comfortable seeing.

I don't need to see far, you're right. Forward, I'm not sure I need to see any further at all, in fact. But I think adding some lights higher-up will prove far more useful than the headlights just because the loader or snowblower won't be in the way. Also, light from a different angle should help add dimension to the ground in front of me even if it's just helping to make the glassy texture of the snow come through. (My photography experience comes through here: am I adding some fill or a new key light? )

Keep the comments coming!
    Last edited by danwolfgang; 07-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Old Cajun and Robnik like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldnít bother adding additional switches. Iíve never found that I wanted any thing between the two stock light settings. Easier to just tie into the stock work light circuit thatís already nicely switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72Ē MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    ejb69, Old Cajun and danwolfgang like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danwolfgang View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm not yet set on how to power the lights, as I'm not sure if I want to add some extra switches to control them or not. If I want the existing work lights on, I would probably want the additional lights I'm thinking about adding, too. So then they don't need an extra switch. But, the flexibility of turning on/off what I need could be useful... If the draw is small enough I could just plug into the stock harness, which sounds easy, but I'm not opposed to running some new wire. Really, I just want to do this once and in my mind that means I need to figure out how much lighting I need to be comfortable seeing.

I don't need to see far, you're right. Forward, I'm not sure I need to see any further at all, in fact. But I think adding some lights higher-up will prove far more useful than the headlights just because the loader or snowblower won't be in the way. Also, light from a different angle should help add dimension to the ground in front of me even if it's just helping to make the glassy texture of the snow come through. (My photography experience comes through here: am I adding some fill or a new key light? )

Keep the comments coming!
    Not a SCUT, but a Z Trak that had no factory lights.

Added 4 LED flood lights (10,060 Lumens total light output) to it.

Two 2880 Lumen flood lights on the ROP. (3.17 Amp/48 Watt each)
    Two 2150 Lumen flood lights up front, low. (1.98 Amp/ 27 Watt each)

10.3 Amps total current draw, all lights on.

The Yanmar diesel on the ZT has a 40 Amp alternator so 10.3 Amps is no problem and
    the light output is awesome for mowing at night.

Just to give you an idea about Watt versus Lumen comparison an example of light output and a rough conversion chart:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails night mowing.jpg conversion chart.jpg
    tj1, danwolfgang, ky_shawn and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast