Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Diesel Exhaust Fluid questions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks

Diesel Exhaust Fluid questions

I see products in the oil and lubricants aisle labeled Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Please help an uneducated on diesel person understand what it is and what it does. I assume it has something to do with making the exhaust less toxic or stinky but am not sure. Does it get added to the fuel? I've never heard of it until the last year or so. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Its only used in newer diesel engines with a DEF fluid tank. You do NOT add it to the fuel.

Basically its purpose is to reduce emissions.
    Robnik, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

jeepjeff(07-25-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    DON'T ADD IT TO YOUR FUEL! EXTREME DAMAGE WILL OCCUR!

Some diesel engine systems utilize diesel exhaust fluid to meet EPA emissions criteria. Typically there is an additional tank that holds the Exhaust fluid and from there it is injected into the exhaust system not pistons/motor. Hence the name Diesel Exhaust Fluid.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

jeepjeff(07-25-2018), Zebrafive(07-25-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    DEF is one of the ways manufacturer's found to meet the Tier 4 emissions standards for diesel vehicles. If you need it, your vehicle will have a separate DEF tank that gets filled. The DEF gets injected into the exhaust stream and produces ammonia. The ammonia combines with the NOx in the exhaust vapors and converts NOx in to Nitrogen and Water.

NOx = bad.
    Nitrogen = good
    Water = good!

Obviously, that's the short and sweet version.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

jeepjeff(07-25-2018), Zebrafive(07-25-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I don't own a diesel but have always been a curious sort of soul and appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Being DEF produces nitrogen I can see why it wouldn't be good for the combustion cycle in the cylinder(s). Inert atmospheres prevent boom or bang or poof.........
    Robnik likes this.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-10-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    x2 on all the previous posts, plus a little more information about diesel additives...

I have a 2017 3038e. If you have a Tier 4 diesel engine in your tractor, see below:

I'd suggest avoiding diesel additives unless they are specific to Tier 4 engines-- products like Lucas fuel additive and others can cause the "regen" process to happen earlier due to increased soot levels from adding the product.

Unless it is a specific JD additive to reduce fuel gelling or a biocide-- I'd say avoid it....

Older diesel engines:

These are different! (Hurray!)- The new "low sulfur" diesel is hard on the engine's injector pumps and older mechanical injectors. Quality additives from Stanadyne that add "lubricity" to help the pump and injectors. These older diesel engines used the diesel as lubricant for the pump and injectors.

Good luck!
    Tomfive, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to placer For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive(07-25-2018)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placer View Post
    x2 on all the previous posts, plus a little more information about diesel additives...

I have a 2017 3038e. If you have a Tier 4 diesel engine in your tractor, see below:

I'd suggest avoiding diesel additives unless they are specific to Tier 4 engines-- products like Lucas fuel additive and others can cause the "regen" process to happen earlier due to increased soot levels from adding the product.

Unless it is a specific JD additive to reduce fuel gelling or a biocide-- I'd say avoid it....

Older diesel engines:

These are different! (Hurray!)- The new "low sulfur" diesel is hard on the engine's injector pumps and older mechanical injectors. Quality additives from Stanadyne that add "lubricity" to help the pump and injectors. These older diesel engines used the diesel as lubricant for the pump and injectors.

Good luck!
    You can't go wrong using the JD diesel fuel additive product. It comes in both summer formula and winter formula but if you live in the snow belt you can just use the winter formula all year round.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel_protect.jpg
    Robnik, kadorken and placer like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You can't go wrong using the JD diesel fuel additive product. It comes in both summer formula and winter formula but if you live in the snow belt you can just use the winter formula all year round.

Is there a cost difference? If winter works for both winter and summer, I wonder if it costs more??
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks

The blue colored DEF tank cap can be seen below the green diesel cap midway down the side of the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img (5).jpg
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

jeepjeff(07-26-2018)

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    DEF is urea and deionized water. More water than urea. It will not do harm to an engine, at least not a gasoline engine if by "harm" you don't include "the engine will not run".

Putting in the public record something I would normally never acknowledge doing:

I once put DEF into the fuel tank of a rental car on my way back to Berlin from Poznan Poland. Everything was in Polish and real men don't ask for help. When I paid for the "fuel", I was a little surprised at how cheap the gas was when I did the mental conversion from złotys to dollars. That surprise turned to understanding after a 1 klick drive down the Autostrada and the car died. Took 6 hours for someone from Hertz Poland to fetch the car and drop me off at an auto dealer where everyone was very helpful but no one spoke a word of English.

Since I was never billed for damage to the car I have to assume that the repair consisted only of draining and refilling the tank.

A few weeks later on my next trip, the guy at the Hertz counter at the Berlin Tegel airport reminded me after looking at his screen that the car I was getting used petrol, not diesel. I got the hint.

Al
    Tomfive and Robnik like this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast