Tractor tipping over, any experience?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Tractor tipping over, any experience?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks

Tractor tipping over, any experience?

Can you steer into the same direction you feel your tractor tilting, to stop a roll over, or does it happen way too fast? I haven't experienced, but would like any advice to hopefully keep from facing the ground? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    I know there are SEVERAL members here who have experienced this. Iím glad Iím not one of them. I can tell you this. It happens now. Not slow, not medium, but now. You only have one shot at this thing called life. Why risk it all? Iíd be willing to bet we have a few members who who canít post about their experiences here anymore. Know what I mean?

Iím sure other will chime in.

I moved this to the General forum where more will see and add to this conversation.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have not rolled a tractor but have came extremely close a few times. From the experiences I had, there was no time to steer towards anything and I'm not sure it would have mattered. What I did to stop the roll over from occurring a couple of times was dropping the loader rapidly which was my instinct considering my hand was on the lever already and the weight on the loader was the cause for my trouble. There has been other occasions when my only instinct was to grab hold of the ROPS and hang on for a ride, luckily the tractor settled down on those occasions and didn't go over.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Get that loader now NOW

Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I have not rolled a tractor but have came extremely close a few times. From the experiences I had, there was no time to steer towards anything and I'm not sure it would have mattered. What I did to stop the roll over from occurring a couple of times was dropping the loader rapidly which was my instinct considering my hand was on the lever already and the weight on the loader was the cause for my trouble. There has been other occasions when my only instinct was to grab hold of the ROPS and hang on for a ride, luckily the tractor settled down on those occasions and didn't go over.
    I'm in the same boat-never yet rolled one but definitely had some close calls. I'm guessing that if you are sliding down a hill sideways you MIGHT be able to save it by steering straight down the hill. I think once you leave the ground on a slide it's too late.

With the loader causing the issue you can save it, particularly if you are lifting or moving slowly. You want to ease into a potential problem and hurry out.

The best practice is to plan ahead enough so you don't have to correct a dangerous situation. That includes knowing the ground you are on as well as the capabilities of your equipment and, your own capabilities. I've seen people baling hay on slopes that I want no part of but they knew exactly what they could do without a problem.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    I have not rolled my 2032R, but, Iíve come close. If my land was just a tad hilly, chances are, I would have rolled her. Gentlemen, if you are doing any type of work, especially with your loader, on any increase in grade, go slow or better, skip it.
    Levi, OxPath, Treefarmer and 4 others like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5í King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off and have a bunch of luck you donít get under a rolling machine.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    There are way to many ways to tip a tractor to say what would or wouldn't work. It might work in some circumstances and not in others. My own *guess* is that if you have a wheel come up off the ground then no amount of steering is going to save you. At that point you've already shifted the center of gravity far enough that steering won't fix it. If you're lucky you'd have the presence of mind to drop whatever implements you have available to lower that center of gravity in a hurry.

Then you can go change out your undies, grab a beer and have a story to tell about "the time I almost rolled the tractor...".
    Doug, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks

Should have mentioned not using a FEL

Should have mentioned not using a FEL, but mowing a right of way near highway. I've read you should mow back and forth instead of mowing with the direction of traffic, but it's a state highway, and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving onto the shoulder numerous times with a 300 foot road frontage, lots of traffic! The salesman didn't think I would have any trouble, but that leaves room for doubt. I cannot find any information about degrees of incline before a tip would occur, I'm sure a lot of variables are at play? Thanks for your replies.
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    I cannot find any information about degrees of incline before a tip would occur, I'm sure a lot of variables are at play? Thanks for your replies.
    You will not find such info published, way to many variables as you stated, from what implement is attached to the operators weight.
    Levi, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    Should have mentioned not using a FEL, but mowing a right of way near highway. I've read you should mow back and forth instead of mowing with the direction of traffic, but it's a state highway, and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving onto the shoulder numerous times with a 300 foot road frontage, lots of traffic! The salesman didn't think I would have any trouble, but that leaves room for doubt. I cannot find any information about degrees of incline before a tip would occur, I'm sure a lot of variables are at play? Thanks for your replies.
    Actually, not having a FEL helps keep the center of gravity lower. Do you plan to have loaded tires or rear wheel weights?

What is the approximate incline of the bank you will be mowing? It should be easy to easy to estimate with a smart phone or even using a string.
    Levi, Robnik, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast