Seeking Assitance: I need a Custom Steering Spinner, Ball & Socket Cup, Wrist Brace
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Seeking Assitance: I need a Custom Steering Spinner, Ball & Socket Cup, Wrist Brace

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Seeking Assitance: I need a Custom Steering Spinner, Ball & Socket Cup, Wrist Brace

I'm not sure where to begin. I have a left hand disability, and can't really "grab" a steering/spinner/suicide/brodie knob without also using my forearm to hold the steering wheel of my tractor. It's frustrating not being able to operate the steering smoothly. I've looked into steering aid devices for handicapped, and there's nothing suitable to fit my situation. I'm sure something could be made up if I went into a place where my hand/wrist could be measured, but I'm also sure the cost of it all would be very expensive.

Here's the idea in my head.
    The steering knob I'm wanting would have a (lets say) large single ball bearing (stainless?) as the post. My hand (with a wrist brace?) would have either a metal (something like UHMW would be better) socket, or "cup" that sits over the "ball" on the post. Just loose enough in tolerance that the ball and socket are not sloppy. In many ways similar, like the way a replacement hip joint is designed to function.

I'm wondering if there are members here that have design experience in creating something like what I need. CAD perhaps, is a thought. Just flowing thoughts off my tongue, if the right person hones in on my idea, they too will pick up on the concept I'm wanting have as a steering device. Maybe that someone could make something for me. I would gladly pay for a solid design that would help me operate my tractor controls efficiently.

Thanks for your time.
    fdmars, Levi, Jep and 1 others like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    My wife is an Occupational Therapist, and used to work with braces like this, well, not for anything other than support. My point of that was, assuming a well made brace, one could attach the required parts to that.
    The steering wheel ball is a piece of cake.

I would say though that for comfort, you would probably want to be fitted for something like this. It shouldnt be too expensive, depending on the material used. There is a very lightweight plastic they use for quite a few braces thats cheap and softens with hot water.

I wonder too if you could use one of the elastic type braces that slips over your hand. I believe its more of a wrist brace, but it has a metal support running its length that would be easy to attach something to.

You might be able to use the ball from Ram Mounts (just thinking off the top of my head), as its fairly large, and has several mounting options already. They are used to mount items to motorcycles and other things, but I dont know how well it would hold up to what you are doing.

Id think to that you wouldnt want a fit that required any effort to remove, as that wouldnt be too safe if you ever had to make a quick exit.
    Maybe a stainless steel ball with either a stainless sleeve that would slip over it, or like you said, a UHMW sleeve. I dont think a minor amount of play would be bad, but Im thinking clearances in the 100ths of an inch, nothing youd notice much in actual use.

I know a couple guys on here (or at least I thought) use CAD. Im one. I can try to draw up whatever you might want. If I cant manage it, Im sure we can get it figured out if you need it. I also do a bit of fabrication work too, so if I can help there, Id be happy to. I do not have machining capabilities, but with these items, there wouldnt be much of that anyway. My guess is that you could, once you know the exact sizes of the parts, order everything mostly finished. Lots of places do custom UHMW parts, so that should be fairly easy. Heck, motorcycle sliders are pretty close to what you want already, but probably a bit on the large size.
    DRobinson, fdmars, Tomfive and 3 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Have you tried it without the spinner thing?

I find those things ridiculous - these tractors have power steering. You donít even have to grasp the wheel - just palm it.

I donít know the extent of the disability in your hand. I have a nasty case of RA and canít hold onto anything for any period of time. Using a screw driver causes me a lot of pain and canít use one for more than 30 seconds without losing all my grip.

I can spend only 1 hour at most in my tractor at one time. I steer with just the palm of my hand on the wheel and alternate hands as much as possible if I am not using the loader control.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Have you tried it without the spinner thing?

I find those things ridiculous - these tractors have power steering. You don’t even have to grasp the wheel - just palm it.

I don’t know the extent of the disability in your hand. I have a nasty case of RA and can’t hold onto anything for any period of time. Using a screw driver causes me a lot of pain and can’t use one for more than 30 seconds without losing all my grip.

I can spend only 1 hour at most in my tractor at one time. I steer with just the palm of my hand on the wheel and alternate hands as much as possible if I am not using the loader control.
    Ha. I think I remember you was the sole hater of those spinners in a thread a while back. Maybe a “what’s your favorite add on or most used item for your tractor” lol.
    I love my spinner! I think I bought that hour 1 of owning the 1025 and not sure I’ve ever touched the wheel since then. I’m sure it’s super simple with no spinner. Just that much more simpler .

Now to the topic on hand. Can you possible say, attach like a small cup on a band/strap that slips on your hand/arm where you can just cup a steering wheel spinner? Pictures are to just give a visual
    After re reading your post. I think that’s exactly what you had in mind.
    Maybe you can make something out of wood to get a concept idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B24D0561-BE0D-495F-A7B8-39FD55E3FA5D.jpeg C2AA7A85-9AF8-4797-AB65-D8D940E6620A.jpeg
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 08-12-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Tomfive, Levi and wildbranch2007 like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    Ha. I think I remember you was the sole hater of those spinners in a thread a while back. Maybe a ďwhatís your favorite add on or most used item for your tractorĒ lol.
    I love my spinner! I think I bought that hour 1 of owning the 1025 and not sure Iíve ever touched the wheel since then. Iím sure itís super simple with no spinner. Just that much more simpler .

Now to the topic on hand. Can you possible say, attach like a small cup on a band/strap that slips on your hand where you can just cup a steering wheel spinner? Pictures are to just give a visual
    Thats a good idea.
    The spinner already has the mount and bearing and all. Something could be made to simply slip over the spinner.

By the way, I found this too, not sure if it would allow you to do that, or maybe youve already seen it.
    https://www.sportaid.com/sure-grip-t...yABEgL2rPD_BwE
    Tomfive, Superglidesport and Levi like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Thats a good idea.
    The spinner already has the mount and bearing and all. Something could be made to simply slip over the spinner.

By the way, I found this too, not sure if it would allow you to do that, or maybe youve already seen it.
    https://www.sportaid.com/sure-grip-t...yABEgL2rPD_BwE
    Yep. Wish he was close. I could make something like that in probably 10 minutes out of wood just to get an idea. 12” or so long wood, a strong plastic cup screwed to the wood and some duck tape(or maybe straps lol)
    If it works then build off of that

I like what you linked there also. If only you could extend it to be longer
    Levi likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    WOW, I did not expect the amount of response. The many return replies will take some effort to reply. Bare with me. I'm a bit overwhelmed

Three plus years ago my entire left hand (between the 2nd & 3rd knuckles) was closed in a semi-truck ( Brand New to drive 2015 Freightliner) when I stopped at the scales. I stopped to get the drop axle (pressure) dialed in. The gauge being in the dash, the valve near the drop-axle on the frame. I was hanging onto the non-hinged side (back) of the door opening and leaning back to adjust air pressure. Each time I adjusted the valve, I pulled myself back upright and looked in at the dash gauge. I had to do this several times. The door hinge detents (spring) that hold the door open (or should have) were weak. A breeze come up and slammed the door closed. Too the 2nd click on the lock mechanism, but it did not "lock" the door. Long story short, a lump, half the long width of a chicken egg developed in my palm behind the 3rd knuckle, under #2, #3, #4 fingers. Five months later I was unable to drive because of it. It takes two hands to drive a Semi-Truck. And Trailer.
    I had surgery to remove the mass, which over time my hand developed RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Disorder). Also referred to as - CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) Please don't ask me to explain what it is. I am Stage 2.5+. Since surgery, the symptoms have traveled to my right hand and both legs (calves & feet) legs. The condition went mis- (un) diagnosed for near two years before any preventative treatment began. IF you really want to know, best I can tell you is read. http://rsds.org/
    Last edited by Boonie; 08-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Levi and Herminator like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    My wife is an Occupational Therapist, and used to work with braces like this, well, not for anything other than support. My point of that was, assuming a well made brace, one could attach the required parts to that.
    The steering wheel ball is a piece of cake.

I would say though that for comfort, you would probably want to be fitted for something like this. It shouldnt be too expensive, depending on the material used. There is a very lightweight plastic they use for quite a few braces thats cheap and softens with hot water.

I wonder too if you could use one of the elastic type braces that slips over your hand. I believe its more of a wrist brace, but it has a metal support running its length that would be easy to attach something to.

You might be able to use the ball from Ram Mounts (just thinking off the top of my head), as its fairly large, and has several mounting options already. They are used to mount items to motorcycles and other things, but I dont know how well it would hold up to what you are doing.

Id think to that you wouldnt want a fit that required any effort to remove, as that wouldnt be too safe if you ever had to make a quick exit.
    Maybe a stainless steel ball with either a stainless sleeve that would slip over it, or like you said, a UHMW sleeve. I dont think a minor amount of play would be bad, but Im thinking clearances in the 100ths of an inch, nothing youd notice much in actual use.

I know a couple guys on here (or at least I thought) use CAD. Im one. I can try to draw up whatever you might want. If I cant manage it, Im sure we can get it figured out if you need it. I also do a bit of fabrication work too, so if I can help there, Id be happy to. I do not have machining capabilities, but with these items, there wouldnt be much of that anyway. My guess is that you could, once you know the exact sizes of the parts, order everything mostly finished. Lots of places do custom UHMW parts, so that should be fairly easy. Heck, motorcycle sliders are pretty close to what you want already, but probably a bit on the large size.
    If I had the use of both hands, My need would be a piece of cake to design. Here's a drawing of a "palm-down rest" I was running through my head. Since you and others have replied, my idea is far too complex for the need/use. Bare with me on responding further. We have company coming today. I will return!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180812_114249.jpg
    Levi and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    The actual tractor that you are trying to steer has a LOT to do with it,,, also,,

My SIL is used to the power steering on the 855 JD, which is pretty typical force required.
    He came over, jumped on my 4105 JD, which is at least 3X larger than the 855,,

The 4105 literally requires almost zero effort to move the steering wheel.
    My SIL was shocked how little force is needed to move the wheel.

Also, the front air pressure in the tires can change the steering force required,, by a LOT!!

If you are just mowing, simply changing to a smooth tire like on a golf cart might be the answer.
    Levi likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Thanks
    How about adapting a cuff from crutches that use them to a spinner (not that kind of spinner )?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PF04774_PRI01.jpg
    Herminator likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast