• 3 Post By osbornk

Thread: Disillusioned with Green?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-07-2019 @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks

Disillusioned with Green?

Hi all!

Recently bought my first John Deere, mostly due to friend's recommendations and their always telling me how easy it is to find parts and repair the tractors, not that they ever *need* repair, mind you ;)
    I bought a 445, thinking that it should last the rest of my life, since I'm getting up there. I've been pretty disappointed in the lack of dealer support for this tractor, however! They did have a PTO switch, I guess because they sell a ton of them (?), but nothing for the rear 540 PTO, 3-point hitch, etc.. No wiring harnesses that I need for the rear PTO are available anymore. I *have* found a couple of bearings and seals, which was a pleasant surprise, tho.

Now, being an old dirt biker, I've grown up riding Hondas and Suzukis, and the dealers have always told me that the company policy is to make parts available for 25 years and after that it's hit or miss. This always seemed like a reasonable length of time to support something that was quite costly to begin with. I haven't been able to get a number out of John Deere of the years the company will support their products, but knowing that my 445 is a 1994 (24 years old) and I'm seeing posts dating back 10 years in some of the forums, saying how difficult it is to find some of the parts I'm now looking for, I'm thinking John Deere's parts support policy must be a LOT less than 25 years?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwivhobbit View Post
    Hi all!

Recently bought my first John Deere, mostly due to friend's recommendations and their always telling me how easy it is to find parts and repair the tractors, not that they ever *need* repair, mind you ;)
    I bought a 445, thinking that it should last the rest of my life, since I'm getting up there. I've been pretty disappointed in the lack of dealer support for this tractor, however! They did have a PTO switch, I guess because they sell a ton of them (?), but nothing for the rear 540 PTO, 3-point hitch, etc.. No wiring harnesses that I need for the rear PTO are available anymore. I *have* found a couple of bearings and seals, which was a pleasant surprise, tho.

Now, being an old dirt biker, I've grown up riding Hondas and Suzukis, and the dealers have always told me that the company policy is to make parts available for 25 years and after that it's hit or miss. This always seemed like a reasonable length of time to support something that was quite costly to begin with. I haven't been able to get a number out of John Deere of the years the company will support their products, but knowing that my 445 is a 1994 (24 years old) and I'm seeing posts dating back 10 years in some of the forums, saying how difficult it is to find some of the parts I'm now looking for, I'm thinking John Deere's parts support policy must be a LOT less than 25 years?
    The way my local JD parts manager put it to me....

JD will normally maintain a good parts stream for as long as there is a good demand. If you look at the 4020’s, there is still an outstanding amount of parts support from John Deere, and they are well beyond the 25 year mark...more like 50.
    Things like wiring harnesses I think are the first to go, probably because they can be field fabricated or repaired by the dealer.
    I’ve found that a good dealer will rarely leave you hanging. They will find or fabricate what you need to keep you going.—-of course to pay for such service
    Levi, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I can't tell you where to get parts, but parts are available. If the dealer can't get you what you need, generally there is a 3rd party option. Wiring harness's are available. and they're build to be factory right down to the connections. Someone is bound to chime in here with the information you need to get you headed in the right direction. If not on this forum, try Weekend Freedom Machines forum, or My Tractor Forum.
    Levi, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    go to yesterdays tractor.com the guys there have or make everything and anything
    Levi and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    Manufacturers will supply parts for as long as there is a demand for them and they have to provide parts for warranty issues. Now, do they have to stock these parts, no. Even under warranty or recall parts do not have to be stocked.

Now, is it in the best interest of the manufacturer to provide continued parts, yes, although, they are not going to maintain a parts inventory for parts that are not in demand.

A 455 is getting older and the parts that you are looking for for the 455, e.g. 540 PTO and 3 point lift parts, were optional components on these tractors so demand is almost none existent.

I'm assuming you are trying to install a rear PTO and 3 point on a 455 that did not have one so you are trying to access all of the components to do this. This could be a challenge. You will most likely have to go aftermarket.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Keep your eyes out for others for sale, that age there maybe "junkers" available that can serve for spare parts.

My biggest disillusionment with green is the cost of parts.
    I looked at buying just one of the rod-ends for a top link and it was over $100.
    For $40-$50 I'd bought the part just so I could save the existing stuff rather than scrap it out.
    I bought a new complete top link for under $30 at the local Fleet store.

And some of the replacement parts are made in China to top it off.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    For the 445 getting parts like pto and 3pt hitch are tough due to there wasn't many people that owned them had or added those options.My X595 certain parts/accessories are getting less available. Some cross over to the x7xx series but I add the pto before it was NLA.
    A x485 or x495 will be old enough to be in a comfortable price range yet have certain accessories still available.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-27-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    My biggest disillusionment with green is the cost of parts.
    I looked at buying just one of the rod-ends for a top link and it was over $100.
    For $40-$50 I'd bought the part just so I could save the existing stuff rather than scrap it out.
    I bought a new complete top link for under $30 at the local Fleet store.
    My brother was upset with the cost of John Deere parts cost so he bought a Kubota. He found out parts are cheap for a John Deere when he compared them to the cost of Kubota parts. He went back to John Deere and almost everything he has needed has been available aftermarket. When he needs a part, he calls me and I search for it on my computer and I can find them considerably cheaper than OEM parts. Parts are more widely available aftermarket for John Deere than any other brand.
    keane, TJR345 and bfloyd4445 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    My brother was upset with the cost of John Deere parts cost so he bought a Kubota. He found out parts are cheap for a John Deere when he compared them to the cost of Kubota parts. He went back to John Deere and almost everything he has needed has been available aftermarket. When he needs a part, he calls me and I search for it on my computer and I can find them considerably cheaper than OEM parts. Parts are more widely available aftermarket for John Deere than any other brand.
    one of the reasons my newest tractor is a Deere, that and parts availability

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements