Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Batteries

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks

Batteries

Just heard thru the JD grape vine that Deere will no longer offer the dealers "dry batteries ". We used to sell a dry battery, when you buy it, we added acid and charged it. No more. Exide will no longer ship dry batteries under the JD name. A route truck will now deliver batteries wet. Up to the dealer to float charge batteries and keep in stock. Exide will rotate out old stock for fresh batteries. Deere is working to get Exide on a regular schedule to supply dealers with needed stock. We used to be able to order and stock wet and dry.. No more.. Wet only.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

blue87fj60†(09-17-2018), etcallhome†(09-14-2018), Gizmo2†(10-19-2018), Herminator†(09-16-2018), Levi†(09-14-2018), Marlin†(09-14-2018), PaDave†(09-16-2018), Roger47†(09-14-2018), Treefarmer†(09-14-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    That's probably good news since the dry batteries were more expensive compared to the wet-charged counterpart. Take a look at the 2-series battery below. $148.26 for the dry battery and $115.47 for the wet (not counting core credit). Pity the folks that just walked in and bought the dry battery not knowing there was a wet equivalent.

Part Number: TY26498
    Part Price: 148.26 USD
    Core Value: (18.00 USD)
    End Price With Core Return: 130.26 USD
    On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
    Description: Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

Part Number: TY26498A
    Part Price: 115.47 USD
    Core Value: (18.00 USD)
    End Price With Core Return: 97.47 USD
    On Hand: 3 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
    Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Roger47†(09-14-2018)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Does anybody know if they sell a jell cell battery for our tractors?
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Just heard thru the JD grape vine that Deere will no longer offer the dealers "dry batteries ". We used to sell a dry battery, when you buy it, we added acid and charged it. No more. Exide will no longer ship dry batteries under the JD name. A route truck will now deliver batteries wet. Up to the dealer to float charge batteries and keep in stock. Exide will rotate out old stock for fresh batteries. Deere is working to get Exide on a regular schedule to supply dealers with needed stock. We used to be able to order and stock wet and dry.. No more.. Wet only.

I'm trying to make sense of this. I suppose there are liability issues, and employee training and certification, that were part of the decision to drop selling dry batteries that were filled in stores by store employees. That said, all the in store batteries I have ever bought came off the shelf with electrolyte already in them. I've never seen a dry battery being filled at time of purchase.

And, once a dry battery is filled, how long does the store take to charge it to capacity before they install it or let you walk out of the door with it?

Also, I've never seen any off the shelf batteries being charged in a store. Do stores actully have these batteries on a monitored recharge cycle before they are sold, or do they just depend on turnover to omit this? I do check date of manufacture before I buy an off the shelf wet battery, and I have seen some that were over a year old.

Just wondering.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Yes, there are AGM batteries that fit, if that's what you mean.

The stock 1-series battery, Part Number LV15187 is rated at 500CCA and 600CA. It is a Group 22NF battery, and I have not been able to locate an AGM battery in that group with a better or even close rating. Most 22NF batteries are deep cycle batteries for things like wheel chairs.

But Group 51R batteries are the same size and are drop-in replacements for the stock battery. There are a lot of Group 51R batteries that pretty well match the Deere stock numbers, but they are not AGM batteries. There are several Group 51R AGM batteries, but they tend to have slightly less cranking amp ratings than the non-AGM counterparts, typically in the mid 400 CCA range. They are also more expensive than the stock lead-acid Deere battery. The exception is the Rural King RK-AGM51R at $124.99.

Autocraft, Exide, Duralast, Duracell, and Bosch all have Group 51R AGM batteries. I cannot find an Interstate or Optima battery in the correct size. There is an Optima yellow top, but thats a deep cycle battery.

If you want more than stock battery cranking power, the only AGM one I've found so far is the the XS Power AGM 5100R which is sold by Summit Racing. But it's the most expensive, at $250. It has a 745 cranking amp rating.

When my replacement time comes, I'm going with one of the slightly less power than stock AGM batteries, since I live in an area where freezing is not common.
    Levi, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 3 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks

I put an AGM battery in my 4066R summer of 2017...... Only way to go.

Dave
    Levi, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 3 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I ditched the small JD 500cca battery and its hold down bracket that limits you to their battery. Fabricated a simple hold down for a larger 750cca battery.Click image for larger version.†

Name:	4763D591-0C03-43BA-81C9-EB60D7FA01F4.jpeg†
Views:	10†
Size:	3.23 MB†
ID:	648282
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61Ē Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7í
    CountyLine Box Blade 6í
    CountyLine York Rake 6í

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    I've never seen a dry battery being filled at time of purchase.

And, once a dry battery is filled, how long does the store take to charge it to capacity before they install it or let you walk out of the door with it?

Also, I've never seen any off the shelf batteries being charged in a store. Do stores actully have these batteries on a monitored recharge cycle before they are sold, or do they just depend on turnover to omit this? I do check date of manufacture before I buy an off the shelf wet battery, and I have seen some that were over a year old.

They are fully charged the moment they are filled

My dealer has always filled them at the time of order, but I didnít really like it too much...they always had electrolyte on top, and I always washed them off with baking soda.
    The upside is they are always fresh.

JD is actually selling a few AGMís now, and Iím sure the list will keep growing. Itís the wave of the futureókinda. Iím thinking Li technology may eclipse lead acid in the not too distant future.
    Levi, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 2 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc†(09-14-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post

Are you sure itís still Excide that makes the strongbox?
    I came accords this mini article, on the Johnson Controls employee portal. There are so many acronyms, I canít figure out what they are talking about
    I know the strongbox spiral wound AGMs are Johnson Controls Optimas...They have an unmistakable look.
    It seems like they play their cards close to the vest when it comes to who makes them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A36E8E78-C6CC-4984-9884-096932AB8C92.jpg
    Levi and Herminator like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Yes, there are AGM batteries that fit, if that's what you mean.

The stock 1-series battery, Part Number LV15187 is rated at 500CCA and 600CA. It is a Group 22NF battery, and I have not been able to locate an AGM battery in that group with a better or even close rating. Most 22NF batteries are deep cycle batteries for things like wheel chairs.

But Group 51R batteries are the same size and are drop-in replacements for the stock battery. There are a lot of Group 51R batteries that pretty well match the Deere stock numbers, but they are not AGM batteries. There are several Group 51R AGM batteries, but they tend to have slightly less cranking amp ratings than the non-AGM counterparts, typically in the mid 400 CCA range. They are also more expensive than the stock lead-acid Deere battery. The exception is the Rural King RK-AGM51R at $124.99.

Autocraft, Exide, Duralast, Duracell, and Bosch all have Group 51R AGM batteries. I cannot find an Interstate or Optima battery in the correct size. There is an Optima yellow top, but thats a deep cycle battery.

If you want more than stock battery cranking power, the only AGM one I've found so far is the the XS Power AGM 5100R which is sold by Summit Racing. But it's the most expensive, at $250. It has a 745 cranking amp rating.

When my replacement time comes, I'm going with one of the slightly less power than stock AGM batteries, since I live in an area where freezing is not common.
    There is an Optima 51R available.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast