Deere Recommendation on Tire Filling
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Deere Recommendation on Tire Filling

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    05-17-2019 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Houston, TX and Romance, MO
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Deere Recommendation on Tire Filling

    Was reading my owner's manual last night and it said don't use "alcohol"...use calcium chloride.

    I thought pretty much everyone was getting away from CaCl due to the potential corrosion issues?

    I understand the specific gravity of the CaCl solution is killer high, but....per Deere you have to fill the tire pretty full to make sure the wheel stays wet (no air contact to promote that corrosion).

    Seems like windshield washer fluid or even a 30% propylene glycol solution would be safer for the wheels and allow you to fill to any level you want?

    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,782
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post
    Was reading my owner's manual last night and it said don't use "alcohol"...use calcium chloride.

    I thought pretty much everyone was getting away from CaCl due to the potential corrosion issues?

    I understand the specific gravity of the CaCl solution is killer high, but....per Deere you have to fill the tire pretty full to make sure the wheel stays wet (no air contact to promote that corrosion).

    Seems like windshield washer fluid or even a 30% propylene glycol solution would be safer for the wheels and allow you to fill to any level you want?

    Yeah, the owner's manuals are still pretty much old school when it comes to liquid ballast. My dealer uses windshield washer fluid 90% of the time unless someone specifically asks for Rim Guard (beet juice). I would not use Calcium at this stage of the game.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. Top | #3
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,173
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked 597 Times in 523 Posts
    Both of my large AG tractor ( bought used) came with CaCl filled rears. I wish they had used RimGuard (beet juice).
    Given enough time you will have corrosion with CaCl. It's heavy and low cost are the main reasons it's still widely used.
    My guess is JD does not recommend alcohol is danger/liability. Hit a broken off "TEE post", puncture a rear tire, and alcohol sprays on your hot engine and you have a fire to deal with.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    Im no expert on the tire fluid issue, and thats mostly due to me avoiding filling tires due to the calcium chloride corrosion issues.
    Its real, and its bad. There is no way to avoid having air in the tire with the calcium. Its been said that using tubes mitigates the corrosion issue, but it doesnt.
    The exact reason is unknown, though its been speculated that some chemicals can leech through the rubber tube, and while I dont know about that, I do know that when checking the tire pressure, which needs to be done once in a while, some of that will escape and get on the wheel. One there, it will eat through the paint or powdercoat and rust the wheel.

    Some fluids contain chemicals that can attack the rubber, which wouldnt be good obviously. I cant recall which ones do that.

    I also know that you either fill the tire or you dont. There really isnt a half way on that. There is a proper fluid level and then theres everything else.

    Others can give you much more specific answers Im sure as to why it should be done that way.
    All the variables are why I stick to cast iron for weight.
    That and the fact that I need to remove it once in a while, which is impossible to do with fluid filled tires. At least not without a lot of time, effort and maybe mess.
    BigJim55, TJR345 and Herminator like this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  7. Top | #5
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,782
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    All the variables are why I stick to cast iron for weight.
    That and the fact that I need to remove it once in a while, which is impossible to do with fluid filled tires. At least not without a lot of time, effort and maybe mess.
    Remove the tire or remove the ballast?
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,485
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 812 Times in 529 Posts

    Methanol solution

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Both of my large AG tractor ( bought used) came with CaCl filled rears. I wish they had used RimGuard (beet juice).
    Given enough time you will have corrosion with CaCl. It's heavy and low cost are the main reasons it's still widely used.
    My guess is JD does not recommend alcohol is danger/liability. Hit a broken off "TEE post", puncture a rear tire, and alcohol sprays on your hot engine and you have a fire to deal with.
    The product recommended for rear tractor tires is a methanol solution. I was talking with one of the guys at a warehouse where it's stored. They poured some out on concrete one day and tried to light it- said they had a heck of a time getting it to burn. Evidently there's both some water and some retardant in it as well as pure methanol. I won't say it can't burn but evidently it's not as flammable as you might think.

    Treefarmer
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

    Zebrafive†(09-23-2018)

  10. Top | #7
    GSM
    GSM is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Location
    Massachu$etts
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
    It's a little more expensive at around $3.00/gal, but I've had very good success with non-toxic RV antifreeze. Just check the label carefully as there are some flammable versions starting to be sold at some stores.
    BigJim55, JimR and Herminator like this.
    Glenn

    Deere 1025R, w/120R loader & 260B backhoe
    Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Innovative Tractor Attachments Grapple
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

  11. Top | #8
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,782
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post
    It's a little more expensive at around $3.00/gal, but I've had very good success with non-toxic RV antifreeze. Just check the label carefully as there are some flammable versions starting to be sold at some stores.
    When I bought my 2720 the dealer charged $100 to fill both rear tires with washer fluid.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  12. Top | #9
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Remove the tire or remove the ballast?
    The weight.
    Filled tires are easy to remove.
    jgayman and BigJim55 like this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  13. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 218 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    The product recommended for rear tractor tires is a methanol solution. I was talking with one of the guys at a warehouse where it's stored. They poured some out on concrete one day and tried to light it- said they had a heck of a time getting it to burn. Evidently there's both some water and some retardant in it as well as pure methanol. I won't say it can't burn but evidently it's not as flammable as you might think.

    Treefarmer
    I know your referring to a specific tire fill solution but I just wanted to point out a fact.

    Alcohol was mentioned above, the spirit that most people think of when thinking alcohol is ethyl alcohol or ethanol the stuff being made from corn now and added to our gasoline and the key component on alcoholic drinks. The Methanol you mentioned is just another form of alcohol, methyl alcohol. Typically distilled from wood, and commonly know an wood alcohol, itís the toxic stuff that can cause blindness in large enough doses.

    Alcoholís are many and varied, ethyl and methyl being just two common ones. Without specifics on the type being incorporated into whatever solution thatís being discussed itís impossible to know itís potential effects or dangers.
    2004-L130

    2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts