Using the tractor as a generator?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Using the tractor as a generator?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    03-25-2019 @ 02:26 PM
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Question Using the tractor as a generator?

    Last weekend, we had two tornados rip through the area. It's not a common occurrence for us to get them, but it did happen. Fortunately, my house did not sustain any damage. Unfortunately, the storms knocked out hydro for several days.

    My question is this: has anyone ever used their tractor as a backup generator? I'm thinking of purchasing a 4000w inverter and connecting it to my 2017 1023e and using the tractor to power my basic hydro requirements for the house until hydro is fully restored.

    Has anyone done this before?

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    John Deere 1025R TLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Location
    Scranton, PA Area
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 169 Times in 157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinmini View Post
    Last weekend, we had two tornados rip through the area. It's not a common occurrence for us to get them, but it did happen. Fortunately, my house did not sustain any damage. Unfortunately, the storms knocked out hydro for several days.

    My question is this: has anyone ever used their tractor as a backup generator? I'm thinking of purchasing a 4000w inverter and connecting it to my 2017 1023e and using the tractor to power my basic hydro requirements for the house until hydro is fully restored.

    Has anyone done this before?

    Thanks!
    An Inverter? No way. 4000 w PTO generator maybe. I have a 10kw generator for that duty.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

  4. Top | #3
    12dbsinad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    I've thought about doing just that but didn't find it practical. Too much set up time, and to darn loud with the constant drone for hours on end.

    I ended up with a Honda EU7000I fuel injected. Can barely hear it, no carb/fuel problems, fast and portable. Works great for me.
    BarryNWa and JD4044M like this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    03-25-2019 @ 02:26 PM
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    An Inverter? No way. 4000 w PTO generator maybe. I have a 10kw generator for that duty.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    That's a great idea! I'm trying to stay away from adding another motor to my list of motors to maintain. However, if the PTO generator costs more than a regular generator, then I'll bite the bullet and buy a generator.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    03-25-2019 @ 02:26 PM
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    I've thought about doing just that but didn't find it practical. Too much set up time, and to darn loud with the constant drone for hours on end.

    I ended up with a Honda EU7000I fuel injected. Can barely hear it, no carb/fuel problems, fast and portable. Works great for me.
    I might do just that. Honda makes excellent equipment (I'm biased as I have a 2005 Honda 1300VTX) and I know that it will be there when I need it most (you'll NEVER find an unreliable Tecumseh in my toolshed).

    Thanks!
    BarryNWa and 12dbsinad like this.

  8. Top | #6
    J3 Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Location
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Posts
    2,219
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 428 Times in 245 Posts
    You could buy this.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    wildbranch2007 and racerx like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

    If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

  9. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,803
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    I've thought about doing just that but didn't find it practical. Too much set up time, and to darn loud with the constant drone for hours on end.

    I ended up with a Honda EU7000I fuel injected. Can barely hear it, no carb/fuel problems, fast and portable. Works great for me.
    Same here except I have the previous model EU6500. There are TONS of threads discussing the pros and cons of using the tractor with a PTO generator. You have to really think through the setup process of establishing emergency power. In the middle of a bad storm or other disaster you need to have your tractor sitting outside, basically screaming running wide-open for the duration of the outage. Keep in mind the consistency of the engine RPM is going to dictate the consistency of your power. You need to take steps to make your PTO generator weather resistant because chances are it is going to be running during a heavy rain or ice storm. You need to have AC feed cables long enough to reach from the breaker box to wherever the tractor will be parked while running. And it goes without saying that the tractor will not be available to perform any other storm related cleanup duties while it is being used to generate power.

    While using the tractor to drive a PTO generator sounds exciting, in the end it really isn't all that practical. For portable power out in the field somewhere - yes. Powering the house in times of need - no.

    A portable standby generator has lots of pros all over the tractor route. You can get clean perfect sine wave power from the inverter based generators and units like the Honda are so quiet you can barely hear them 20 feet away. And with Econo-throttle they idle down when the consumption drops allowing them to sip fuel. They can be deployed and run for days on end while the tractor remains available for other duties like cleanup - and the tractor remains safely tucked away in the garage for simple extended power outages.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  10. Top | #8
    12dbsinad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    You could buy this.

    I'll consider if it includes the coffee can rain cap..
    steveontheridge2 likes this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

  11. Top | #9
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,803
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinmini View Post
    I might do just that. Honda makes excellent equipment (I'm biased as I have a 2005 Honda 1300VTX) and I know that it will be there when I need it most (you'll NEVER find an unreliable Tecumseh in my toolshed).
    That's what I thought too until this past winter when our power failed in the pre-dawn hours and the temperature was zero degrees F. BOTH of my Honda generators refused to start (EU6500 and EU3000). Meanwhile my Ariens riding mower with the el-cheapo Briggs & Stratton single cylinder 17HP engine started right up in zero degrees like it was summer time.

    Me and Honda were no longer buds after that morning. I'm still a fan of Honda equipment but I now keep a can of starting fluid on hand in case we get another outage during extremely cold weather.
    JD4044M, Austinmini and Deker like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  12. Top | #10
    12dbsinad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Same here except I have the previous model EU6500. There are TONS of threads discussing the pros and cons of using the tractor with a PTO generator. You have to really think through the setup process of establishing emergency power. In the middle of a bad storm or other disaster you need to have your tractor sitting outside, basically screaming running wide-open for the duration of the outage. Keep in mind the consistency of the engine RPM is going to dictate the consistency of your power. You need to take steps to make your PTO generator weather resistant because chances are it is going to be running during a heavy rain or ice storm. You need to have AC feed cables long enough to reach from the breaker box to wherever the tractor will be parked while running. And it goes without saying that the tractor will not be available to perform any other storm related cleanup duties while it is being used to generate power.

    While using the tractor to drive a PTO generator sounds exciting, in the end it really isn't all that practical. For portable power out in the field somewhere - yes. Powering the house in times of need - no.

    A portable standby generator has lots of pros all over the tractor route. You can get clean perfect sine wave power from the inverter based generators and units like the Honda are so quiet you can barely hear them 20 feet away. And with Econo-throttle they idle down when the consumption drops allowing them to sip fuel. They can be deployed and run for days on end while the tractor remains available for other duties like cleanup - and the tractor remains safely tucked away in the garage for simple extended power outages.
    Took the words right out of my mouth... my thoughts exactly.

    I will add, spend the money on a GOOD inverter unit like the Honda. DON'T buy a modified sin-wave El cheapo unit, carbureted, let it sit for a year and a half, wheel it outside and try to start it. It probably won't. You need to exercise and cycle the fuel. I run mine occasionally, it's so quiet that it isn't a nuisance to do so.

    I had the El cheapo unit before and you could tell it was dirty power. It didn't like to start certain things and my CFL's used to ficker. Anything electrical sensitive was iffy at best. I said the heck with it, spend the money now and be done with it!
    Last edited by 12dbsinad; 09-25-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Austinmini likes this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •