Looking for advice and thoughts...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Looking for advice and thoughts...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks

Looking for advice and thoughts...

So I am new here, been lurking for a year or so but I have a 1025R TLB, with a 54" snow blower, Artillian forks, 60" mower, 60" Woods roto-tiller, and a 60" rear blade. I bought the tractor 3 years ago, and used it on our 1.5 acre property with the intention that we would be moving and it would be useful to buy bigger than a lawn tractor for the next house.

Well we just moved into the next house and its on 153 acres, its a 200 yr old farm house that all the fields grew up starting in the 1930's. We now have about 3 acres to mow, a 200' long drive to clear and grade, and a half acre garden. I know the 1025 is perfect for this work, but getting into the back 150 acres is where I am thinking that something bigger would be better. The woods are 65% hardwood, with a mix of softwood remaining, and decent woods roads to access most of the land. I would like to cut my own wood off the property each year, and possibly some to have milled into lumber for future project.

My dilemma is I own the 1025R which is great, but I am debating on adding a 3046R or 4044R to the stable for big tractor work, or selling the 1025R and all of the attachments and get everything on a larger scale? I have the room for two tractors, and the wife offered to pay for a cab on the next tractor, as she doesn't like to run the tractor in the winter.

Currently we are thinking a 3 or 4 series with a loader and grapples would be perfect start. A flail mower or bush hog in the next year or two, as well as a logging trailer also. I am hoping to only by the tractor for this property once.
    Whats everyone's thoughts and experience?
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-26-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krackle_959 View Post
    So I am new here, been lurking for a year or so but I have a 1025R TLB, with a 54" snow blower, Artillian forks, 60" mower, 60" Woods roto-tiller, and a 60" rear blade. I bought the tractor 3 years ago, and used it on our 1.5 acre property with the intention that we would be moving and it would be useful to buy bigger than a lawn tractor for the next house.

Well we just moved into the next house and its on 153 acres, its a 200 yr old farm house that all the fields grew up starting in the 1930's. We now have about 3 acres to mow, a 200' long drive to clear and grade, and a half acre garden. I know the 1025 is perfect for this work, but getting into the back 150 acres is where I am thinking that something bigger would be better. The woods are 65% hardwood, with a mix of softwood remaining, and decent woods roads to access most of the land. I would like to cut my own wood off the property each year, and possibly some to have milled into lumber for future project.

My dilemma is I own the 1025R which is great, but I am debating on adding a 3046R or 4044R to the stable for big tractor work, or selling the 1025R and all of the attachments and get everything on a larger scale? I have the room for two tractors, and the wife offered to pay for a cab on the next tractor, as she doesn't like to run the tractor in the winter.

Currently we are thinking a 3 or 4 series with a loader and grapples would be perfect start. A flail mower or bush hog in the next year or two, as well as a logging trailer also. I am hoping to only by the tractor for this property once.
    First of all, welcome! Congrats on the new property/house. Pics please!!!!

IMO, if adding a machine to the stable is an option, that's the way I would go. My 2032r is perfect for what I need it to do (mow, woods work, driveway work) but I have a lot less property (24 acres) and I mow about 6 acres regularly. The rest is wooded. I can tell you with certainty that if I had more land in the equivalent ratios, I'd be looking for another tractor; one for mowing/doing menial work and another for the harder work. Plus, if one happens to go down for whatever reason, you won't be totally out of a capable machine.

Whatever you decide, it'll be right for you.... it's always easier spending someone else's money.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krackle_959 View Post

I can tell you right now that if you go with a 3 series, you will soon be looking for a bigger tractor. Go bigger now and save the headache. I would not have a problem using my 4066R with that many acres. You may want to even go with a 5 series, but I would not recommend the E models. It may come down to your tranny preferences. Hydro is not available above the 4 series and I much prefer the hydro.

The guy that bales the hay in my area was really impressed this summer with my 4066R when I was loading the big round bales for him. He has a 76HP Ford/New Holland that would compare to a 6 series JD, so he only has 10 more HP than I do. If you go with the 4 series, go with the 4066 for the most HP. You will need it. I believe the 4044 will leave you wanting for HP. I run a 110 inch RFM and a 10ft Rhino brush hog with mine. I am not sure I could run the same big round baler he does, but I am not looking for one as they are just way too expensive. A square baler would be no problem, nor would any other haying equipment. I have a 2 bottom plow as I did not feel my R4 tires would give me enough traction for anything bigger. That brings up another point:: you may want to consider R1 ag tires for your use in the fields, but the R4 tires will give you a greater usage. You can mow the yard in the morning and mow the field in the afternoon with R4 tires.

Dave
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Thanks
    If you own 2 tractors, you will spend a lot less time changing implements. You'll also spend more time doing tractor maintenance. Sometimes it is easier to support a tractor if you have another tractor to lift heavy things on the first tractor. If I could have 2 tractors, I would have 2. I'm also in favor of a cab on at least one of them.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    Yes pictures please. It sounds like a beautiful place!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    Well you have a dilemma for sure. But, what a nice dilemma to have!

From my vantage point in a recliner, it's an easy choice. 1025R for yard work and 4066R for field and woods work. I'd keep the loader, mowing deck, tiller and maybe the snowblower for the 1025R and use any other implements with the 4066R, including a 375A or 385A backhoe that will cost twice what you can recover by selling the 260 backhoe.

Unless you can justify over $13,000 for a loader mounted snowblower for a 4 Series tractor, you are limited to a rear mounted blower. Maybe your neck can handle all the backing required to clear a 200' driveway with a rear-mount blower, but it's not something I would want to do. That said, I would outfit the 4 Series with a front blade or snow pusher and use the 1025R for cleanup around the house and buildings once the storms pass and it warms up. On the other hand, a 3 Series tractor can be outfitted to use your 59 snowblower. Dilemma.

ddinham mentioned it and it's worth repeating. Whatever tractor your choose, in the woods, you'll be best served by R1 tires. R4's are nice for a lawn, but not in the same league as R1s for working in loose dirt, wet fields or mud.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted.
    Levi, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I can tell you right now that if you go with a 3 series, you will soon be looking for a bigger tractor. Go bigger now and save the headache. I would not have a problem using my 4066R with that many acres. You may want to even go with a 5 series, but I would not recommend the E models. It may come down to your tranny preferences. Hydro is not available above the 4 series and I much prefer the hydro.

The guy that bales the hay in my area was really impressed this summer with my 4066R when I was loading the big round bales for him. He has a 76HP Ford/New Holland that would compare to a 6 series JD, so he only has 10 more HP than I do. If you go with the 4 series, go with the 4066 for the most HP. You will need it. I believe the 4044 will leave you wanting for HP. I run a 110 inch RFM and a 10ft Rhino brush hog with mine. I am not sure I could run the same big round baler he does, but I am not looking for one as they are just way too expensive. A square baler would be no problem, nor would any other haying equipment. I have a 2 bottom plow as I did not feel my R4 tires would give me enough traction for anything bigger. That brings up another point:: you may want to consider R1 ag tires for your use in the fields, but the R4 tires will give you a greater usage. You can mow the yard in the morning and mow the field in the afternoon with R4 tires.

Dave
    Thanks for the advice. I have had that thought as well, that a 3 series might not be big enough in the long run. We are planning on clearing 10-20 acres to get the fields back, but its going to take some time as I will be the tree cutter by hand. A 4066 would have more power for towing a logging trailer, and for a flail mower once it gets to that point. I don't plan on haying the property, but we would like to restore the fields to what they once were.
    As for tires, there is no choice for me R1's are the way to go, I grew up on a farm and was using the old Ford 8N as soon as I could reach all of the controls. I will also be getting chains for them for winter usage in the woods, as it makes life way easier.
    Levi, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Well you have a dilemma for sure. But, what a nice dilemma to have!

From my vantage point in a recliner, it's an easy choice. 1025R for yard work and 4066R for field and woods work. I'd keep the loader, mowing deck, tiller and maybe the snowblower for the 1025R and use any other implements with the 4066R, including a 375A or 385A backhoe that will cost twice what you can recover by selling the 260 backhoe.

Unless you can justify over $13,000 for a loader mounted snowblower for a 4 Series tractor, you are limited to a rear mounted blower. Maybe your neck can handle all the backing required to clear a 200' driveway with a rear-mount blower, but it's not something I would want to do. That said, I would outfit the 4 Series with a front blade or snow pusher and use the 1025R for cleanup around the house and buildings once the storms pass and it warms up. On the other hand, a 3 Series tractor can be outfitted to use your 59 snowblower. Dilemma.

ddinham mentioned it and it's worth repeating. Whatever tractor your choose, in the woods, you'll be best served by R1 tires. R4's are nice for a lawn, but not in the same league as R1s for working in loose dirt, wet fields or mud.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted.
    It is a nice dilemma to have, and one that keeps me up at night as we have big plans for the property, and I want to get it right the first time.

I am leaning towards keeping the 1025R with all of the attachments for use around the house, and garden area. The larger tractor would be primarily used for moving logs, hauling firewood, a wood chipper, and mowing the fields when we get them built. Maybe a front blade would be helpful if we get a blizzard, but I cannot do a rear mounted snow blower, my neck won't like that. The old house had a similar sized driveway, so I am use to snow removal with the 1025R.

The backhoe works for what i need it for, small drainage ditches, and removing pesky rocks in the lawn or driveway areas. I don't think the expense of a backhoe for the 4 series is worth it to me. I do have access to a fleet of heavy equipment from the company I work for, from a 19,000 LB mini all the way up to 175,000 LB excavator, and the same with dozer's a D3 up to a D8T. I have already told my boss that I will need a CAT 335 and D6K for a week once the trees are down for stumping and grading out the field areas.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenhills1952 View Post
    Yes pictures please. It sounds like a beautiful place!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    I will get some pictures of the property as well as the little tractor over the weekend.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast