John Deere is OUTRAGEOUS on parts.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: John Deere is OUTRAGEOUS on parts.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks

John Deere is OUTRAGEOUS on parts.

So my 2720's tach/hour meter stopped working.
    I tear it apart and it seems that the tach mechanism turns very hard. The gear on the back of the tach has a been stripped of the teeth in one spot.
    I can attach a drill and run the tach over and it works altho it does not drop to zero all the time.
    You can turn the gear on the back by hand but it is very hard.
    I can attach the cable and put the drill on the engine side of the cable and when I try the drill it just spins the cable into a pretzel.
    For some reason the tach is very hard to turn.

Now All I need is a new tach, I can take the instrument cluster apart and get it out.
    BUT NO. JD only sells the instrument cluster as an assembly, and guess what the price of the cluster is, $775.

I can afford the new cluster but getting raped does not sit well with me.
    Gotta decide if I'm even gonna bother fixing it.
    Only need the tach when running the mower on the 3 pt.
    I wish I could find a used one, I'd go for that.

Rant over.
    BigJim55, spferdil, Jep and 4 others like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I’d mount an after market digital tach if I was in your shoes.
    jgayman, OxPath, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,211 Posts
    I can certainly sympathize. I've looked up many parts and swore the price has to be a mistake. If it's any consolation, you can save yourself around $50 by ordering the part from site sponsor http://www.greenfarmparts.com. Use discount code GTT.
    glc, OxPath, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    This is the second thread of recent weeks to name John Deere as price gougers, it is far from an isolation to just them. Go to your Ford, Chevy or Dodge dealer and buy their genuine parts. Or go to you Kabota or CaseIH dealer for their parts. It's just the American way, but you my friend can vote for change.

Today as a matter of fact.
    Kennyd, glc, fdmars and 8 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks
    I agree on the prices but also appreciate I can get parts easier and faster for Deere than anything else out there even for very old equipment. Expensive stinks, not available is worse.
    Kennyd, glc, IndianaJim and 7 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    I agree on the prices but also appreciate I can get parts easier and faster for Deere than anything else out there even for very old equipment. Expensive stinks, not available is worse.
    Ditto
    glc, IndianaJim, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    This is the second thread of recent weeks to name John Deere as price gougers, it is far from an isolation to just them. Go to your Ford, Chevy or Dodge dealer and buy their genuine parts. Or go to you Kabota or CaseIH dealer for their parts. It's just the American way, but you my friend can vote for change.

Exactly. Im not sure why this keeps coming up. Maybe cabin fever is setting in early this year.
    Its not news to anyone who has ever worked on anything over the last 15 years, let alone anyone who has paid for service on any kind of vehicle or equipment. My neighbor paid almost $500 for a new alternator on his F150. Its 8 years old. That same alternator can be purchased online, or locally, for just a hair over $100. He could have gotten the best quality money could buy for less than $200. That price only included an hour labor. Thats an insane cost.
    We want the latest and greatest, and complain when new things look antiquated, so we get all in one clusters and modern designs, and we complain more when we have to replace those parts because they cost way more than the old ones did.
    Id personally prefer to have all my instruments and indicator lights separate so they could easily be changed out, but we are way beyond that these days.

While I sympathize with the feeling that it is an expensive fix, there are ways around it if you search long enough.
    Find out who made the panel. They are likely still making them. Can they sell you the parts you need?
    In this day and age, if we look long enough, we all know someone who knows someone with a 3D printer. Those small plastic gears are a piece of cake to "print" on one of those.
    If you can get in that far, you should be able to replace it for next to nothing if you can find someone who will draw it and replicate it for you.
    I would go that route before spending $700 on a new cluster.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 11-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    glc, coaltrain, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Couldn't get my Mac to link them but a quick google for mechanical tachometer repair yielded many results.
    Also conversion from mechanical to electric into the old gage face.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post

I drive a 12 year old BMW, the parts are reasonably priced. I bought a latch for the rear tailgate about a year ago.
    a little over $90. And it has an electric solenoid in it that pulls the hatch tight after closing.

Also I bought a headlight assembly this spring. $1200. But it was the complete plastic housing with the xenon lights and it was the assembly that turns with the steering wheel left to right. Much more complicated than this gage cluster.

No, I'll gladly buy parts for a BMW over a JD.
    Old Cajun and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post

In this day and age, if we look long enough, we all know someone who knows someone with a 3D printer. Those small plastic gears are a piece of cake to "print" on one of those.
    If you can get in that far, you should be able to replace it for next to nothing if you can find someone who will draw it and replicate it for you.
    I would go that route before spending $700 on a new cluster.
    Its not only the gear that needs replacement but the shaft for the needle/pointer does not turn easily which is the real problem here.
    a new gear would just end up like the old gear in a short time.

I owned a Tool shop at one point. I have made gage clusters for older cars. They looked like stock when done.
    Its alot of work.
    If a mass produced part is more expensive than a one off custom made part what does that tell you about the pricing?
    Old Cajun and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast