• 9 Post By 356
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17

Thread: John Deere in Europe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks

John Deere in Europe

Between 2002 and 2011, I traveled twice per year to Europe leading study tours, which took us off the autobahns and onto the back roads. Having grown up in an AG family, I've always taken notice of farming practices.

In the past seven years, I've only made a few trips, but observed some interesting changes.

1) John Deere, as a brand, is popular. The nicer farms seem to all have John Deere tractors--especially 5 and 6 series cab tractors. The popularity of John Deere can be seen in the stores, which often feature John Deere branded clothing, hats, toys and mugs.
    2) Europeans still tend to "get by" with the smallest tractor possible, whereas in the US, it is not unusual to see overkill when it comes to tractor size/needs.
    3) For the first time, I did not see many carts pulled by donkey's/mules in Romania and Hungary. I did see lots of old and very used Kubota and similar compact and subcompact tractors pulling the same carts.
    4) The less modern, smaller farms tended to have Massy-Fergason, Ford and AC tractors. Apparently the market for very used tractors is brisk.
    5) I saw two John Deere dealerships (both, very modern, but not well stocked) and several John Deere billboards.

As always, it is interesting to see how other parts of the world embrace US brands. John Deere is truly an icon among tractors.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Thanks

JD in IE?

My friends in SE Ireland (IE) don't use JD tractors because they must pay extra for brakes, whereas New Holland tractors have brakes standard. In hilly country brakes are needed. JD costs more, so .... Not so popular.
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements