Tire questions
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By IndianaJim
  • 3 Post By ddinham
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By wardlake
  • 1 Post By IndianaJim

Thread: Tire questions

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts

    Tire questions

    I have a set of tires that have not been off my 855 in thirty years. I tried to do some research here but it gets confusing.
    On the front I have Goodyear turf tires 23 x 8.5 -12 & on the rear Goodyear 33 x 12.5-15 SofTrac turf tire.

    The tractor is mainly used on 4.5 acres to mow grass (more like heavy duty weed chopping). And in between I use it for post hole work & box blade for grading & leveling. The entire area is good old red clay. The tires after thirty years are most likely dried out but they show no signs of dry rot. The tread is still in good on the front but rears half worn down. & it is hard. If I push down on a tread it has no give at all.

    Operationally when pulling the box blade I can get a lot of tire slip & stalling especially on damp or wet grass/weeds. If I'm pushing in reverse I get better traction but when your box blading you need to go forward to engage the claws to break up the ground so slipping is a problem.

    So I would like to get tires that will give me more grip & pulling but still be able to perform the major function which is weed cutting I'm thinking a Bar Type tire or what was called a lug tire. Now here is where I get lost. I see bar or lug type where the bars are at about 45 degrees. Then I see another type that looks like a half bar made up on an angle & then comes across the face of the tire straight. Is that what they call R type?

    How stiff of a ride will I get? Turf tires don't exactly give you that Lincoln Town car ride either. but I would not want to get much more stiffer than I have already. Tractors have zero suspension unless you consider two lame cheap springs under the seat a suspension system.

    Brands. I have looked at Carlisle & Kendra. Boht about the same price point. I haven't found any Goodyear as of yet but I would have no problem with the brand. And Firestone does not appear to have the front tire size I need with a matching tread for the rears which brings me to my other question. Does anyone ever mix the tread style between front & rear tires?

    While I really am not too concerned over it, I hear a lot of objections on running lug or bar treads on grass. The stuff I have would never qualify as grass, but on the other hand I don't want to be tearing out what green weed coverage I already have. I have enough red ant volcanoes all over the place & I hate the color combination of red clay, fire ants & green weeds. So if anyone can offer some suggestions I would be grateful.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    I actually looked some time back at tires and types for a 955 I was borrowing, when I was considering buying it. I didnt, but anyway, some of this I already knew, some I learned.

    R1 generally designates an Ag type tire. Very aggressive lugs. What you see on big farm tractors.
    R3 generally designates a turf tire.
    R4 is an industrial type tread, which appears similar to the R1, though not as aggressive. They are usually rated for higher loads than both of the other types.

    For turf work, turf tires are best. In dry conditions, they work well off road too.
    For all around use, R4 or industrial are a good compromise, though they can tear up turf if you get over zealous or if its wet.
    For maximum traction, R1 or Ag tires are king. These WILL tear up your yard. If its wet, well, stay off the lawn. The 955 I had for a while had this type. They were great in the woods, but they did a number on the yard. The R4s on my 2025 work just as well in the conditions I work in, but dont tear up the yard nearly as bad.
    It stays fairly wet in parts of it, and as long as I stay off of those areas, I have no problems. I think in my situation, turfs would do damage too, but overall, on jobs where Ive used the different styles, I much prefer the R4 for all around use.
    Basically, I keep my yard pretty nice, and am always trying to make it look better, and have no issues driving over it with the R4s as long as its not soggy.

    Now, to throw a wrench in the works, there is now an R3+ or Radial Turf. Galaxy Garden Pro.
    These look, to me, to be a compromise between the R3 and R4. Less aggressive than the R4, but more so than the R3. Someone on here recently posted about using them in the snow, and that they were superior to the R4.
    If they werent so darn expensive, Id have an extra set for my 2025. If it wouldnt have taken 3 months, Id have just ordered a 2025 with them instead of buying the one on the lot...but I like the R4s too.

    As to brand, well, thats a more personal choice. Carlisle is a great company, and while Kenda used to be thought of as a low end tire company, they are making much better tires now than they used to.
    I dont believe Goodyear makes these type tires anymore.
    I mentioned them above, but Galaxy is another brand to look at. Beyond those 3, I dont know too much about the others.
    Robnik and Emeribd like this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

    Maddog (11-14-2018)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,604
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    Doh! Somehow I deleted my own post!

    Anyway, check out the image in the very 1st post in this thread:

    Tires Tires Tires R1,R2,R4
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    ddinham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    3,549
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    I have had both turf tires (R3) and Industrial tires (R4). You can figure that 90% of he compact tractors come with R4 tires. The R4 tires are the best combination tire. You can mow the lawn in the morning and mow the field in the afternoon. Then hook up the box blade and do some blading. You might save some money and just put chains on your R3 tires when doing the heavy duty work. As to the hardness of the tires, I suspect one or both of two things. You have filled rear tires or they have too much air pressure. I run 10 PSI on my rears (R4) and 40 PSI on the front tires due to the loader. Just in case your rears are filled, make sure the valve steam is at the top position before checking air pressure. When I got the tractor, it had around 40 PSI on all the tires and rode like a lumber wagon.

    Dave
    dieselshadow, Maddog and Robnik like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

  8. Top | #5
    Herminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    1,734
    Thanked 842 Times in 631 Posts
    Someone help me here. I would strongly suggest the ATV type tires for his application but I can’t remember the name.
    Welcome to Intermission.

    2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,604
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Someone help me here. I would strongly suggest the ATV type tires for his application but I can’t remember the name.
    Do you mean the HDAP tires?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51ol2doognL.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	656614
    Herminator likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    Herminator (11-12-2018)

  11. Top | #7
    Herminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    1,734
    Thanked 842 Times in 631 Posts
    I did. Thank you. Now that I relook I see it is an 855. I was think it was a 5 size garden tractor for some reason. I don’t think they make HDAP’s that big.
    Last edited by Herminator; 11-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

    2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

  12. Top | #8
    wardlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Location
    North West Wisconsin
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    A little different R4

    I just bought a 3033R that has R4 tires. The newer R4's from JD anyway, maybe everybody's have a more rounded curve to the bars, dealer said they are much easier on turf. I don't mow at all as I am mainly set up for dirt work. R1's are not what you want, they will tear up the lawn. Guys like the turf tires for your type of work. Neighbor has them on 3320 and he wouldn't touch my R4's.

    It's a personal preference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tire.png  
    Maddog likes this.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to wardlake For This Useful Post:

    Maddog (11-14-2018)

  14. Top | #9
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wardlake View Post
    I just bought a 3033R that has R4 tires. The newer R4's from JD anyway, maybe everybody's have a more rounded curve to the bars, dealer said they are much easier on turf. I don't mow at all as I am mainly set up for dirt work. R1's are not what you want, they will tear up the lawn. Guys like the turf tires for your type of work. Neighbor has them on 3320 and he wouldn't touch my R4's.

    It's a personal preference.
    Most R4s have a similar pattern, but there are a few coming out with that rounded bar pattern.
    I believe the ones on your tractor are made by Galaxy.
    Thats whats on the 3 series at my local dealer.
    If ever I wear out the R4 Carlisles I have now, Ill look into them. I too have heard/read they are a bit easier on turf than the "old" design.
    Herminator likes this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  15. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I actually looked some time back at tires and types for a 955 I was borrowing, when I was considering buying it. I didnt, but anyway, some of this I already knew, some I learned.

    R1 generally designates an Ag type tire. Very aggressive lugs. What you see on big farm tractors.
    R3 generally designates a turf tire.
    R4 is an industrial type tread, which appears similar to the R1, though not as aggressive. They are usually rated for higher loads than both of the other types.

    For turf work, turf tires are best. In dry conditions, they work well off road too.
    For all around use, R4 or industrial are a good compromise, though they can tear up turf if you get over zealous or if its wet.
    For maximum traction, R1 or Ag tires are king. These WILL tear up your yard. If its wet, well, stay off the lawn. The 955 I had for a while had this type. They were great in the woods, but they did a number on the yard. The R4s on my 2025 work just as well in the conditions I work in, but dont tear up the yard nearly as bad.
    It stays fairly wet in parts of it, and as long as I stay off of those areas, I have no problems. I think in my situation, turfs would do damage too, but overall, on jobs where Ive used the different styles, I much prefer the R4 for all around use.
    Basically, I keep my yard pretty nice, and am always trying to make it look better, and have no issues driving over it with the R4s as long as its not soggy.

    Now, to throw a wrench in the works, there is now an R3+ or Radial Turf. Galaxy Garden Pro.
    These look, to me, to be a compromise between the R3 and R4. Less aggressive than the R4, but more so than the R3. Someone on here recently posted about using them in the snow, and that they were superior to the R4.
    If they werent so darn expensive, Id have an extra set for my 2025. If it wouldnt have taken 3 months, Id have just ordered a 2025 with them instead of buying the one on the lot...but I like the R4s too.

    As to brand, well, thats a more personal choice. Carlisle is a great company, and while Kenda used to be thought of as a low end tire company, they are making much better tires now than they used to.
    I dont believe Goodyear makes these type tires anymore.
    I mentioned them above, but Galaxy is another brand to look at. Beyond those 3, I dont know too much about the others.
    Thanks ! Found your reply to my original post very helpful. I think I will probably end up with R4's. I'm sure they will work best in my situation. Thanks.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •