• 1 Post By martincom
  • 2 Post By martincom

Thread: Adding Intermittent Wipe Feature

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks

Adding Intermittent Wipe Feature

I have a Cozy Cab mounted on a 1025R. When blowing snow, I find the wiper switch, mounted in the wiper motor enclosure, is not very handy. Moreover, most of the time a short wipe sequence would be preferred, to clear snow blown back on the windshield, rather than having the wiper motor run continuously. As such, I decided to research incorporating the intermittent wipe feature.

While this thread is specific to the Cozy Cab supplied wiper motor, it can be readily adapted to other cabs and wiper motors.

My first thoughts were to construct a timer circuit. While designing the circuit to accomplish that is easy enough, constructing the circuitry to withstand the vibration/environment, mounting the circuit board, controls for the delay interval, etc are all issues that can get involved. Next, I considered utilizing a pre-built timer module. Again, mounting this where the control panel would be accessible had its issues not to mention it wouldn't be convenient to adjust the delay, especially while blowing snow.

So rather than re-invent the wheel, I decided to utilize an off-the-shelf wiper intermittent delay controller/switch. I selected a Cole Hersee unit (Cole Hersee was acquired by Littelfuse a few years ago.) They are commonly found in school buses, custom cab industrial vehicles, and step vans. I had previous experience with these controls as we utilize step vans for our business service vehicles.

This unit more than fulfilled my expectations. The initial goal was just to add the intermittent wipe feature. Additionally, the Cole Hersee unit also supports the "wash" function. While I don't have a washer system nor do I see the need, when simply pushing in on the control knob for the wash function, it also cycles the wiper two or three times, doubling as a mist function. I find this is the function I utilize the most.

Cole Hersee manufactures several different models. They are pretty much the same, with the difference being the type of wiring connector and/or the number of wiper motors they'll control. I've attached the engineering drawing which details the differences as well dimensions, wiring color codes, connector pin outs, etc.

I removed the wiring from the existing wiper housing switch. I left the switch in place to fill the hole. I routed new wiring from the wiper motor to the Cole Hersee wiper switch mounting location in the overhead console. Four wires are required: ground, low speed, high speed, and park. #18 awg wire is more than adequate, as the wiper motor was fused for 7.5 amps. The wiper motor in the Cozy Cab had 1/4 male flag terminals for all but the ground connection. These accept the generic 1/4" female flag terminals, such as the red or blue insulated crimp terminals. The ground wire connects to a wiper motor cover screw. You'll want to identify the functions of each terminal with a jumper wire connected to +12V.

In the overhead console, I installed a Molex disconnect plug on the four wires from the wiper motor to provide a means to disconnect the motor easily for service.

The best price I could find on the Cole Hersee controller was $66.72 from an Amazon third party seller, Crimp Supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a dual wiper motor controller. I just utilized the functions for wiper motor #1. Overkill, yes. However, it was less money than the single motor controllers/switches.

I decided to retain the connector that was part of the switch as it would simplify replacement if never need be. I sourced the mating connector shell and contacts from "Terminals & Connectors":
    https://www.terminalsandconnectors.c...roduct/2965977
    https://www.terminalsandconnectors.c...roduct/2965510

I utilized the original wiper motor power and ground wiring to supply the Cole Hersee unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0461.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	656936

Name:	DSCN0462.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	6.34 MB 
ID:	656938

Name:	DSCN0464.JPG 
Size:	5.71 MB 
ID:	656940

Name:	DSCN0465.JPG 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	656942
    Kennyd, OxPath, jdforever and 1 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

JEKO56 (11-15-2018), lost in wisconsin (11-16-2018), mopeman (11-15-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks
    Great idea and nice write-up! Now, all I need is a cab. From the looks of that reel rack, I'm guessing this isn't your first attempt at a wiring job.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Excellent information

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Very clean instal. Filing this one away for when I aquire a cab.

Have you considered adding a second wiper to the rear? You have the controller if you ever do. My previous cozy cab back window would always get snowed up for some reason. Perhapse the heater in your cab negates this issue. Just curious.
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybats View Post
    Very clean instal. Filing this one away for when I aquire a cab.

Have you considered adding a second wiper to the rear? You have the controller if you ever do. My previous cozy cab back window would always get snowed up for some reason. Perhapse the heater in your cab negates this issue. Just curious.
    Yes, the wiper controller does support two wiper motors and I could install a second in the rear glass. It probably wouldn't do much. The rear glass was split to provide clearance for the seat back when fully rearward and is somewhat narrow, as it sits inside the ROPS. So the wiper blade would be fairly short.

Name:	DSCN0470.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	6.31 MB 
ID:	657192

I really haven't had much of an issue with rear glass becoming ice or snow covered. The heater would never melt it off it did. While the heater WILL cook me out of the cab, as it is not blowing on the rear glass, I doubt if it would get the glass warm enough to melt snow. Here, in MN, it is usually bitterly cold when out blowing snow, the low teens and commonly below zero.

Believe it or not, I'm often attempting to get the windshield glass cold, instead of warm. The tractor is stored in a heated garage, so when I first go out, the glass is warm. So any snow that blows on to it, melts, and then freezes as ice in a matter of seconds. So when I first start, I'm trying to get the glass cooled down quickly, so the snow just blows or wipes off. It is not uncommon that I have to stop once or twice, when I first start, and use a hand scraper to clear the ice from the windshield. The heater will blow heat on the right side of the glass and warm it so that side melts, but the top and left of the glass will either not get that warm or if it does, it is cooking me out. So I usually have the heater outlets turned away from the glass, to keep it cold.

My previous tractors were 455s with the John Deere (Femco) cabs. I didn't have a heater in either one and for the most was quite comfortable unless i was out for more than two hours in sub-zero cold. The big thing a cab does is keep the wind off and foremost, the discharge snow from being blown back on you. At first, I wasn't going to add the heater option to the Cozy. However, once these cabs go out of production, parts and accessory support follows quickly. So it became a now or never decision.

I have an interior rear view mirror in the Cozy now. I didn't opt for the exterior mirrors as the bride often has to blow snow at the other home and from time to time the 1025Rs get swapped between homes. Mirrors, tree branches, garage doors and my bride don't go together well. Moreover, the Cozy exterior mirror option was rather pricey. If rear visibility becomes an issue, I may add some golf cart mirrors to the Cozy. They're affordable and I think they would mount without to much trouble.
    OxPath likes this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Great idea and nice write-up! Now, all I need is a cab. From the looks of that reel rack, I'm guessing this isn't your first attempt at a wiring job.
    I built the reel rack/dolly 30+ years ago. At the time, we were doing a number of emergency vehicle outfitting, particularly squad cars. So it was a lot of wire to pull in and much of it at the same time. So it soon became apparent we needed an efficient method to unreel wire and many at once. So necessity was again the mother of invention.

From time to time, there was also a need to be able to take this to a job site, such as a firehall for fire truck work. That is why the rack has pneumatic tires and the tall handle. The rack can be tipped back on the two pneumatic wheels and rolled across uneven ground and over some obstacles. Additionally, I could load the rack myself into the back of our step van service trucks. I would open the rear doors and with the rack tipped back, roll it to the rear of the truck and then tip the rack front casters down on to the floor of the truck. I would then lift the back of it up and on to the truck. It was heavy, but manageable.

We actually had and have more spools of wire of different gauges/colors than would fit on the rack. A second would have been nice, but it does take up a fair amount of space. As we don't utilize wire that is not on the rack very often, we just just dispensed it off the loose spool. If I had more space, I would have built another.

Name:	DSCN0478.JPG 
Size:	6.15 MB 
ID:	657256

Name:	DSCN0479.JPG 
Size:	5.68 MB 
ID:	657258

Name:	DSCN0480.JPG 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	657260

Name:	DSCN0482.JPG 
Size:	6.53 MB 
ID:	657262
    Kennyd and OxPath like this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

10. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

OxPath (11-17-2018)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements