• 2 Post By coaltrain

Thread: 2720 Snow blower / chains guy slips over to the dark side

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts

2720 Snow blower / chains guy slips over to the dark side

Just came in from outside in the rain and sleet and just had to comment...

So for the past 5 years I've been doing snow removal with my 2720 with chains on all four tires, 54" blower in front and a 60" rear blade. It has done everything I've ask, plowed through 5-foot drifts and never got stuck. My driveway is gravel and on a hill but the two neighbors are paved.

I'm embarrassed to admit that today's snow storm caught me a little with my pants down. I didn't have time to rig up the snow blower and chains but I did have time to throw my Edge Tamers on the bucket and hook up the rear blade. The forecast called for 3-7 inches and I figured I should be able to easily handle that with the bucket and blade.

We ended up getting every bit of 7" and then it started to sleet / rain on top of it. So out I go after dark to do some preliminary cleanup on my driveway and two neighbors. I've enjoyed reading all the debates about snow blower vs. plow vs. bucket and chains vs. no chains and was actually kind of anxious to see just how my 2720 with R4 tires would do sans chains in the snow. I do have loaded rear tires but I have never once tried clearing snow without chains.

Well... immediately upon backing out of the garage it was apparent that this lightweight can't plow it's way out of a paper bag with chainless R4 tires. I almost got stuck immediately. I had the diff lock engaged and 3 tires spinning and I hadn't even started to push any snow. Ugh!

I was out for a little over two hours and all I can say is if I had to clear snow with the loader and bucket I think I would sell the tractor and go back to my 33" MTD walk-behind. Talk about slow! Scrape - scoop - travel - dump... over and over and over. With the snow blower you make a few passes and you're pretty much done. Even when using the rear blade I can angle it to clean the driveway completely in a few passes. But with the bucket... not so much. You always end up with these huge piles of snow wherever you stop and it's almost impossible to clean them up. Thank goodness for the Edge Tamers at least I didn't tear up the gravel. The one neighbor with the flat paved driveway wasn't too bad as I didn't have many traction problems. But the second neighbor has a long paved driveway that goes up a hill. Without chains I could get UP the driveway with three tires spinning all the way but there was no way I could move any snow. I had to do all snow removal while coming down hill. During previous winters I was able to actually plow snow while going up the hill.

I got the job done but it took twice as long, was twice as exhausting and I wasn't able to get surfaces quite as clean as I normally do.

All I could think of was when I bought the tractor and how the salesman was telling me that with 4WD you wouldn't need tire chains. AH YEAH!

Needless to say I'll be mounting up the 'ole chains at my earliest convenience. The experiment is over and chains rule! :-)
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, ejb69 and 9 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Heh. I bought chains for my 2032R 4 years ago and have never used them. I've plowed and run my 3pt blower with just the nekid R4s.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, jgayman and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    OK, I may have to reconsider!

I spent 3 hours out there plowing 6" of slop this morning. Got stuck 3 or 4 times and every time I got stuck I thought about those chains sitting in the garage.

Maybe I'll put them on before the next storm...
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    We get a lot of snow like you describe - mixed with sleet and/or freezing rain. I have a pretty steep grade up to the road - plus where my driveway meets the road the snow is at least twice as deep from the plow trucks. Without chains even not pushing snow - just driving up to plow downhill - I canít make it to the top without chains.

I canít afford a snowblower so I have been using my bucket only (now with Edge Tamers) for 12 years now with this tractor. Yeah, it takes some time but I have it down to a science now. 800í of driveway with a large intersection takes me about 1.5 hours with a heavy snow like we have now.

Time I have plenty of - money for a snowblower I donít. I just take my time and take breaks if need be.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Iím up on a hill along with the cattle barn. Made a Fel plow several years ago for my 790. Went to front chains and last two years chains on all 4. Cut my plowing time in half along with my frustration.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    jgayman, I'm a chain guy, always have been. Sure/Maybe you can get the job done without them but.........
    Back in 1988, 12+ inches of snow, I got stuck twice trying to get our JD650 out of the shed.
    As for a further comment. It is amazing how much winter traction is lost as the R4's wear down.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

I spent 3 hours out there plowing 6" of slop this morning. Got stuck 3 or 4 times and every time I got stuck I thought about those chains sitting in the garage.

I wouldnít attempt to get up my steep driveway without chains even though the R3ís do better than previous R4ís.

We got 10Ē over here about 1/2 mile from Nashoba Valley Ski Area. Wondered why they put that place over there and now I know why............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

Sorry to hear that but you brought it on yourself with that "never needed them" comment. You should have at least knocked on wood!!
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Just did my driveway this morning. I measured 9” of heavy wet stuff - the kind that packs instantly. I spun going up the driveway some with chains on the rear - and that is without plowing - bucket in the air. Without chains I wouldn’t have made it 1/4 of the way up.

#chainsrule

And the Edge Tamers saved the day for sure. The ground is still super saturated from all the rain the past couple months. Never picked up one piece of sod even doing trails across the lawn to the wood shed and pavillion.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	3FAECD3E-2B08-4F39-8043-6A4952BFD793.jpeg†
Views:	5†
Size:	2.08 MB†
ID:	656990
    Last edited by coaltrain; 11-16-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Gizmo2 and HydroHarold like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements