Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Extended warranty being offered by my dealership

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts

Extended warranty being offered by my dealership

So my dealer has come out with an extended warranty program, it extends the comprehensive from 2 yr/2000 hr to 4 yr and the power train from 6 yr/2000 hr to 10 years. The only catch is that the dealer MUST perform the scheduled maintenance i.e., 200 hr, 400 hr, 600 hr, 800 hr and so on, or annually if your hours are less than 200 per year. This is at an expense to the owner of around $400 for the simple lube, oil and filter changes, obviously more for the service intervals that require something more as you get higher up in hours. You have jump on by February 28th 2019 and I think it covers any tractor purchased after January 1st of 2018 but not sure about that, other than I know my 2025R would be covered.

So here are my thoughts for now.

Maybe do it for now, the 4 year comprehensive sounds pretty alluring because it covers everything that was originally purchased with the tractor. In my case that would the FEL and 60D mower deck, you can jump off at anytime by simply not having them perform a scheduled maintenance.

I have no problem and actually enjoy working on my tractor myself but I keep thinking back to the FEL leak down that my 1023 had, replacing cylinder seals and SCV are a little beyond what I am capable of, or doing in my garage. My only hang up is I sometimes have trust issues, when I do a service I know for a fact that everything has been done, and done right. I have no reason to not trust my dealer, they have been more than good to me, but I'm looking for a little feedback from others as to how they would view this program.

Thanks in advance
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Maybe I missed it but how much is the extended warranty itself?
    OxPath, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    If I understand this is through your dealer. I have gotten a couple notices from John Deere to extend mine by 1,2,3 or 4 years. The price has come down a little bit each time they have sent it and there is not much difference in price between one more year and two. I think I am going to take advantage of it for two years but I need to look at the fine print because I do not believe I need to take it to the dealer for any maintenance.

I am thinking the two years was around $800 which is not bad for full coverage. Honestly I do not expect any problems and it has been absolutely trouble free but if I am right the price they are asking isnít much when it comes to parts or labor if I had to spend it.
    pcabe5, OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Maybe I missed it but how much is the extended warranty itself?
    There is not cost other than scheduled maintenance, that's why it almost seems too east of a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    If I understand this is through your dealer. I have gotten a couple notices from John Deere to extend mine by 1,2,3 or 4 years. The price has come down a little bit each time they have sent it and there is not much difference in price between one more year and two. I think I am going to take advantage of it for two years but I need to look at the fine print because I do not believe I need to take it to the dealer for any maintenance.

I am thinking the two years was around $800 which is not bad for full coverage. Honestly I do not expect any problems and it has been absolutely trouble free but if I am right the price they are asking isnít much when it comes to parts or labor if I had to spend it.
    Yes, this is something that my dealer is doing, a % of all scheduled maintenance done in this program goes into a slush fund to pay for warranty issues that may/will arise. Price wise it is the same as you and I talked about, $800 for two years vs. the cost of an annual service $400. I'm seriously considering the 4 year comprehensive at a minimum.
    pcabe5, OxPath and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have two schools of thoughts on extended warranties.

One is if you would take that money - letís say the $800 herminator suggests - plus add the cost of the dealership doing the service - $400. So thatís $1600 for 2 years. If you took that $1600 and put it away you may come out ahead using that money for repairs. That is without a catastrophic event.

With that said however - I have never bought an extended warranty for anything in all my life - up until this past spring when I bought a 3 year old F150 Lariat. It is loaded with electronics and fancy stuff. I was still in the window to purchase an extended warranty through Ford for $1050. That is for another 5 years and up to 60k miles which I calculated out to be the mileage I will have at 8 years old when I will replace it.

$1050 spread over 5 years is $210 per year. I kept records from my last F150 and spent $2350 in out of warranty repairs in the 6 years it was out of the regular warranty. That comes to $392 a year. And that was without anything major happening - just nickel and dime stuff. So thatís how I justified the expense of the extended warranty.

Now with my tractor which is now about 12 years old I have yet to have a repair. An extended warranty on that would have been a total waste of money.

The consensus is that extended warranties are big money makers for the dealerships. I agree with that unless you are getting a very good price on it.

For Pat who I know likes doing his own work I really donít see the point. Take that money and put it aside and use that for any repairs. I have a lot of trust in our Deere equipment but mine was built 12 years ago - maybe things have changed and they arenít as good as they used to be?
    pcabe5, OxPath, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    There is not cost other than scheduled maintenance, that's why it almost seems too east of a decision.

Yes, this is something that my dealer is doing, a % of all scheduled maintenance done in this program goes into a slush fund to pay for warranty issues that may/will arise. Price wise it is the same as you and I talked about, $800 for two years vs. the cost of an annual service $400. I'm seriously considering the 4 year comprehensive at a minimum.
    Well you are basically paying for an extended warranty at $400 per year minus the cost of the service. Just more trickery in my opinion as far as the way they are marketing it.
    IndianaJim, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Im with Coaltrain on this one.
    Im a "do my own maintenance" kind of guy. If I could perform the required maintenance, even having to buy the stuff from my dealer to do it, and still be covered, Id likely look a bit harder at it. As it is, I dont want them doing the maintenance, especially at their prices. My local dealer doesnt even stock the oil I want, Deeers 0w40 Plus 50. They say they have to buy a lot to get a little, and dont think it will sell well, so they dont do it. Ill still buy it, as Im down by Reynolds quite often, and they stock it.
    Anyway, I guess Ill take the chance on the warranty I have now with no extensions.
    jdforever, keane and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Iím confused....but I think itís just me ;-)

Do you pay the $800, plus the ~$400 for each service....or is it ~$400 per service and as long as all servicing is done with them, you are enrolled in the program?

How much do you estimate each servicing will cost? If itís in the $200 ball park and you donít have to pay the $800, Iíd say do it.
    If you have to pay the $800 plus approx. $200 for their labour, Iíd pass.

p.s. Doesnít a movie star get a discount
    PJR832 likes this.
    3320 w/ Imatch, 300CX, 375 BH, 5' box blade, b box
    X748 w/ 62C & 54C deck, 47" blower w/quick hitch
    2025R w/Imatch, R120, RC2048, 60D w/ind. lift, 54" blade w/quick hitch, Frontier grapple
    590M w/winch, maxxis, roof

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by North585 View Post
    Iím confused....but I think itís just me ;-)

Do you pay the $800, plus the ~$400 for each service....or is it ~$400 per service and as long as all servicing is done with them, you are enrolled in the program?

How much do you estimate each servicing will cost? If itís in the $200 ball park and you donít have to pay the $800, Iíd say do it.
    If you have to pay the $800 plus approx. $200 for their labour, Iíd pass.

p.s. Doesnít a movie star get a discount
    No discount for me, the only cost of the warranty is the dealer performing the scheduled maintenance, about $400 annually. That is my biggest hang up, not only do I prefer to do my own maintenance but I actually enjoy doing it.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    No discount for me, the only cost of the warranty is the dealer performing the scheduled maintenance, about $400 annually. That is my biggest hang up, not only do I prefer to do my own maintenance but I actually enjoy doing it.
    Just some further thought in this....again about my Ford dealership as comparison as I have no Deere dealer experience...

For the past few years Iíve been getting my truck serviced at the dealership. Canít beat the price of $39 plus $3 for the extra quart of oil. This includes tire rotation, battery load test, and a bunch of other checks.

This is great - but....my new truck has a special oil change procedure. Long story short the oil has to drain for at least 15 minutes after running - 30 minutes is better. The first day I had the truck home the oil level was way above the high mark on the dipstick. Once I drained enough out I found it to be 1.5 quarts over. I honestly believe an oil overfill is just as bad as an underfill.

My point - I am going to do it myself from now on. The dealership - which has always been great to me - just wonít take the time to so the oil change properly. I understand this - they have to get them in and out as quickly as possible.

I am OCD about stuff like this. What good is the great price on the service if I have to crawl under the truck afterwards anyway to drain off some oil. Unfortunately oil extractors will not work in these engines from the top.

I understand your wanting the extended warranty. I just find this kind of a weird way to go about it. The extended warranty on my truck does not require me to have them service the truck.

Another question - who pays for the transportation of the tractor to the dealership for these services?
    pcabe5, OxPath, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast