Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Off-Road Dyed Diesel in PA

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks

Off-Road Dyed Diesel in PA

Can anyone in PA buy off-road Dyed Diesel or do you need a license or be a farm or something? I was under the impression anyone could buy it, but someone just told me you need a license to buy it.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA / LoadNGo /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashxx View Post
    Can anyone in PA buy off-road Dyed Diesel or do you need a license or be a farm or something? I was under the impression anyone could buy it, but someone just told me you need a license to buy it.
    Anyone can buy it.

I buy it in bulk and have it delivered when I get my home heating fuel. You have to pay PA sales tax on it unless you are a farm and have the proper paperwork.

You can buy it at a lot of mini marts and gas stations around here - just fill your jugs like you would anything else.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    As Coaltrain said, anyone can buy it. There is a Turkey Hill not far from here that has off road diesel available at one of their pumps.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Hmmm... I don't live in PA and hopefully one of our PA members knows the exact answer but, according to The PA Dept. Of Revenue page, everyone pays the tax when buying off-road fuel. People who have a valid qualifying business can then claim a reimbursement of the tax for fuel purchased.

What is the Motor Fuels Dyed Fuel Program?

So it sounds like anyone should be able to buy it. But there doesn't seem to be any point in buying it for anyone that doesn't have a qualifying business.
    OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Hmmm... I don't live in PA and hopefully one of our PA members knows the exact answer but, according to The PA Dept. Of Revenue page, everyone pays the tax when buying off-road fuel. People who have a valid qualifying business can then claim a reimbursement of the tax for fuel purchased.

What is the Motor Fuels Dyed Fuel Program?

So it sounds like anyone should be able to buy it. But there doesn't seem to be any point in buying it for anyone that doesn't have a qualifying business.
    Hmmm... not quite sure what they would be referring to. Perhaps they mean a farmer can get reimbursed for taxes paid on road diesel. At the Turkey Hill mentioned above the diesel at the "off road" pump is significantly less expensive than the "on road" diesel pump located just 30 yards away.

The ONLY point in buying it is because of the cheaper price due to no road use tax. As you know, here in PA we have the highest gas taxes in the nation.
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-26-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    As you know, here in PA we have the highest gas taxes in the nation.
    Huh! And all this time I thought Michigan had that honor ...

G
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    I use Off Road Diesel it saves me about $0.70 a gallon in Road and Federal Taxes in Washington State. I have 150 gals in my shop to use this winter!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2256.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	663860
    etcallhome, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Hmmm... not quite sure what they would be referring to. Perhaps they mean a farmer can get reimbursed for taxes paid on road diesel. At the Turkey Hill mentioned above the diesel at the "off road" pump is significantly less expensive than the "on road" diesel pump located just 30 yards away.

The ONLY point in buying it is because of the cheaper price due to no road use tax. As you know, here in PA we have the highest gas taxes in the nation.
    Off-road fuels are exempt from the federal excise tax, which is 24.4 cents per gallon of diesel. Any exemption from local sales and use taxes is on a state-by-state basis. If the use is exempt from these local taxes (the rules are really complicated and of course vary by state), then you either present a tax exempt certificate to the vendor (a futile exercise at 99% of fuel retailers) to avoid paying the tax at sale time, or claim a credit for the expense on your state tax return at tax filing time.

Al

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    Ok, thank you all! I can only find one place near me that is in Clinton, PA. It a little out of the way though. Then I was just told you need a license to buy it and that wasn't my understanding. But they make stuff so confusing to me on that PA page that someone else linked. But that got me thinking about the tax. It being federally less may be why it is then cheaper at the pump than regular diesel. Then greedy PA still get their tax and the farmers/etc have the option to claim it during taxes. That makes sense to me but I'm surprised the federal government doesn't do the same thing!

I never stopped by to see what the price was or how it compared to regular diesel. I just called them a couple of months ago when I first started looking at subcompacts and they are the only ones I can find with off-road diesel and just assumed everyone could buy it with very little tax. I don't want to pay regular diesel tax as I believe its like $3.30 or so. Regular gas at the moment is $2.49 or $2.59 I seen.
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA / LoadNGo /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cashxx View Post
    Ok, thank you all! I can only find one place near me that is in Clinton, PA. It a little out of the way though. Then I was just told you need a license to buy it and that wasn't my understanding. But they make stuff so confusing to me on that PA page that someone else linked. But that got me thinking about the tax. It being federally less may be why it is then cheaper at the pump than regular diesel. Then greedy PA still get their tax and the farmers/etc have the option to claim it during taxes. That makes sense to me but I'm surprised the federal government doesn't do the same thing!

I never stopped by to see what the price was or how it compared to regular diesel. I just called them a couple of months ago when I first started looking at subcompacts and they are the only ones I can find with off-road diesel and just assumed everyone could buy it with very little tax. I don't want to pay regular diesel tax as I believe its like $3.30 or so. Regular gas at the moment is $2.49 or $2.59 I seen.
    I'll offer a counter point. How much diesel fuel do you think you will use annually? Myself, since I don't use my tractor for mowing grass I find I only use about 10 gallons a year if I'm lucky. As such, even though there is a station nearby that sells off-road fuel I choose to use on-road diesel from a convenience store station that is only 5-miles from me. Unlike the off-road station, this station has very high car and truck volume and I've never had issues even in the dead of winter with dirt or water in my fuel. I'm sure if I was burning 100+ gallons a year I would probably consider other sources but for my uses the readily available on-road juice fills the bill.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast