Intro and advice sought on 1 series snow removal attachments
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Intro and advice sought on 1 series snow removal attachments

  1. Top | #1
    DanW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts

    Intro and advice sought on 1 series snow removal attachments

    Hello all. First post. My apologies if this gets long winded.

    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1 series. Time to upgrade my tired LX186 and TRX26 walk behind blower.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LX186.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	664294

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRX26.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	664296

    I had just about decided on the X758 until I saw the special $8599 base price on the 1023E. I didn't really think I had use for a FEL but I have a little over 3 acres with maybe 1/4 of that wooded and realized it would be nice to cut a few trails into there to haul firewood out. Not to mention clean up some areas I've allowed to get overgrown. So... Upgrade now justified, I need a little help deciding on snow removal attachments.

    I have about 200' of driveway with a slight slope (see snowblower pic) and about a 30'x40' parking area at the top. I now use the LX186/plow for anything up to around 5", above that I use the snowblower. Winters vary. One I may not use the blower at all, the next it sees 5-6 storms, and every now and then it has to chew its way through 24+ inches of the stuff, not counting drifts. For the big 16"+ snows, it can take me 2-3 hours and 2+ tanks of gas with the TRX26. I'm getting old enough to see that it won't be long before I'll need an easier solution. For example-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driveway1.24.16.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	760.4 KB 
ID:	664336

    Plan A is basically what I was going to do with the X758, a 54" QH blade, which will probably let me handle snows up to 8"-10"(correct me if I'm wrong), then swap out to the 54" QH blower for the bigger stuff. Some things I dislike about this setup. First, I plan to get the 7-iron deck with auto PTO connect. Seems Deere can't engineer a front PTO that connects to the auto connect bracket so whenever I take off the deck I also have to remove the auto PTO connect bracket from the tractor to attach the front PTO (makes me question if I want auto PTO connect at all). The other problem is just having to swap out the blade for blower and back as there are some area (near garage doors, porch, etc) where I can "trim" better with the blade. Also, I understand the Quick Hitch is somewhat limited with how high it can lift the attachment.

    Plan B is a loader mount front blade like the Frontier AF10F with the SB1154 hanging on the rear 3PH. I like that the blade and blower will both be available, no changing tools based on the storm. And this does seem to be the least labor intensive regarding changeover (something I'll no doubt appreciate as age increases and back weakens) and it also eliminates the limited lift height with the Quick Hitch. When the big ones hit 4'+ drifts are not uncommon. I like the way the blower on the 3PH can be raised to let me chew down through the drift as opposed to cutting away at the bottom and letting it collapse. Being able to raise the front blade will allow me to push back any piles that develop. One thing I'm not sure about is can I get the hydraulics to control the angling of the AF10F without sacrificing curl on the loader? The big down side of this is driving in reverse when I do need the blower.

    Plan C is a basically Plan B but use the front loader bucket as a pusher instead of a blade. This has cost as a plus but I know I'd miss not being able to angle the blade as I have to angle off and dump as the bucket fills, meaning I'd probably find myself driving backward with the blower more than if I had a blade, a minus. But another plus is this can also be upgraded to Plan B at a later date.

    Am I overestimating my modest needs and/or underestimating the abilities of the attachments? Should I just get the QH mount 54" blower and use it for anything that falls and forget about blades? Can the blower be basically used like a pusher for those 1-3" nuisance snows? Or is Plan B really a good idea?

    No doubt someone will bring it up but I've looked hard at the 1023E vs 1025R and just not sure I can justify the $3500+ price difference with this offer. Although I have yet to get actual prices from a dealer so I'm not sure just how much the price difference will be. If I go with the SB1154 on the 3PH that's pretty much the only use the 3PH will see. If I go with a front mount blower the 3PH won't be used at all. In either case the 3PH position control of the 1025R isn't an issue. I don't go in a straight line long enough to need cruise control. Likewise I'll probably be banging my elbows on the arm wrests turning the wheel more than they'll be used to support my arms. I'm semi-retired and work from home so no need for the fender lights to clear snow in the dark so I can get to work in the morning. All that said, if anyone still feels the have a compelling reason to go with the R, nothing's been signed yet...

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Dan
    glc, Gizmo2, OxPath and 2 others like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,595
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 866 Times in 661 Posts
    I have a slightly larger machine but essentially I do your "Option B". I have the 54" Deere blade (which is smaller than the AF10) mounte don my loader and the SB1164 blower for the back. I only put the blower on the back end when big storms are forecast. For most of the winter I leave my back blade on the back end. I use that to back up to garage doors and pull snow away from the garage. If you have the room to run sideways across any garage doorways that may not be an issue for you.

    As far as using the curl function for angling the blade on a loader, many (most?) people install a diverter in the curl hydraulic circuit. That allows you to press a button on the loader joystick and divert hydro fluid from the curl function to the angle function. When you release the button you get your curl function back.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    DanW (12-30-2018)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 52 Times in 41 Posts
    If you're going the blade route I'd suggest going for the CTA 66" blade instead. I just sold the 54" blade I had for my x758. Technically I sold my 54" blade, that I had recently put the 9" extension kit on making it 72". The fitment was horrendous and it was aesthetically ugly as sin. It's like JD and the 3rd party vendor never spoke about certain details. 54" isn't wide enough for full angling as snow can and will fall out and you'll run it over.

    66" Snow Plow For John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments
    buckteeth445 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nastorino For This Useful Post:

    DanW (12-30-2018), Drifterbike (12-30-2018)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Changing between the Blower and Blade is very easy with the quick Hitch. You Can leave You Mid to front PTO shaft Mounted when using the Blade. I didn't Notice any height issue with the quick Hitch That has been Mentioned By some users.

    Last year I started winter with the 47inch Blower On and a few time I changed over to the Blade which was about a 5 minute change over Just because You Have to disconnect two Hydraulic Hoses then re-connect two other Hydraulic Hose for angle cylinder and Pull 1 Pin(which allows the quick hitch to angle again) disconnect Blower drive shaft from Mid to front drive shaft. then Just reverse the Process if You want to put the Blower Back on

    Removing the auto-connect is about a 10 Minute Job the first time You do it. It's actually easier to do one the 1 series than the 2025R(Gen II) which you actually have to UN-bolt that Auto-Connect Which You Just UN-pin 4 pins On the 1 series and drop drive shaft It would Just be a twice a year thing to remove and re-Install

    This year I have a 2025R(Gen II) and we Just Haven't been Getting snow so I have the quick Hitch Blade Mounted On my Loader 54 Plow Products I also Have a diverter Kit Hydraulic Products You would need one for the 1023E. But as soon as My Tektite Cab arrives I Might go Back to the Blower and quick Hitch On the 2025R. For this year I Currently have my 47inch blower mounted on a front quick-hitch on My X748(older version of X758) So I say don't Get rid of your Lawn Tractor and Front Blade Then You Can have Both a Blade and a Blower Mounted Because it Looks Like the Lawn Tractor and Blade Have worked so far for You.

    I personally have never Liked Rear Mount Blowers Which we used On the Family Farm Because I Hated to drive Backwards down the Road My neck always Hurt Later On. But It does allow you to have a quick Change Over as Other Have stated

    Personally I Prefer a front Mounted Blower.

    Deere is going to start offering the Front 3 Point Hitch for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) here In North America weather or Not There Going to Have a front Blade and Blower for it has yet to Be announced. Because they also Offering a Front PTO bracket adapter for the Front 3point Hitch. So I am Guessing some time Next year they will have a Blower & Blade for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) Front 3 Point Hitch But I bet it will be Introduced In the spring when Most of Use won't Need those Implements

    wildbranch2007, PJR832 and xsrdx like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

    DanW (12-30-2018)

  10. Top | #5
    Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Location
    Toddville, IA
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 75 Times in 64 Posts
    Not sure where you are located but option B sounds good. If you would go with the Artillan kit and use the CTA blade on the FEL you could roll your arms all the way back and strap them down and just run two long hoses for the tilt on the CTA blade and it would would ok without the diverter kit. some one the forum has alread done this. Then you could lift your blade when making your piles of snow.
    54 Plow Products

    Doug
    PJR832 likes this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

    DanW (12-30-2018)

  12. Top | #6
    DanW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    If you're going the blade route I'd suggest going for the CTA 66" blade instead. I just sold the 54" blade I had for my x758. Technically I sold my 54" blade, that I had recently put the 9" extension kit on making it 72". The fitment was horrendous and it was aesthetically ugly as sin. It's like JD and the 3rd party vendor never spoke about certain details. 54" isn't wide enough for full angling as snow can and will fall out and you'll run it over.

    66" Snow Plow For John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments
    Thanks. I was planning to put the extension kit on the 54" blade but sounds like going straight to a 66" might be the better choice. I'll keep that in mind whether I go with a loader mount of QH blade.
    PJR832 likes this.

  13. Top | #7
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    1,073
    Thanked 317 Times in 278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    If you're going the blade route I'd suggest going for the CTA 66" blade instead. I just sold the 54" blade I had for my x758. Technically I sold my 54" blade, that I had recently put the 9" extension kit on making it 72". The fitment was horrendous and it was aesthetically ugly as sin. It's like JD and the 3rd party vendor never spoke about certain details. 54" isn't wide enough for full angling as snow can and will fall out and you'll run it over.

    66" Snow Plow For John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments
    I went with the 60" CTA blade. I like the design and it hooks up to the John Deere quick hitch. I have had it three seasons and it still looks new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    PJR832 and DanW like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  14. Top | #8
    PJR832's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    11,124
    Thanks
    1,880
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post

    Deere is going to start offering the Front 3 Point Hitch for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) here In North America weather or Not There Going to Have a front Blade and Blower for it has yet to Be announced. Because they also Offering a Front PTO bracket adapter for the Front 3point Hitch. So I am Guessing some time Next year they will have a Blower & Blade for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) Front 3 Point Hitch But I bet it will be Introduced In the spring when Most of Use won't Need those Implements

    Wouldn't this work
    John Deere 366 Front Blade | Mutton Power Equipment Fort Wayne
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

  15. Top | #9
    DanW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Changing between the Blower and Blade is very easy with the quick Hitch. You Can leave You Mid to front PTO shaft Mounted when using the Blade. I didn't Notice any height issue with the quick Hitch That has been Mentioned By some users.

    Last year I started winter with the 47inch Blower On and a few time I changed over to the Blade which was about a 5 minute change over Just because You Have to disconnect two Hydraulic Hoses then re-connect two other Hydraulic Hose for angle cylinder and Pull 1 Pin(which allows the quick hitch to angle again) disconnect Blower drive shaft from Mid to front drive shaft. then Just reverse the Process if You want to put the Blower Back on

    Removing the auto-connect is about a 10 Minute Job the first time You do it. It's actually easier to do one the 1 series than the 2025R(Gen II) which you actually have to UN-bolt that Auto-Connect Which You Just UN-pin 4 pins On the 1 series and drop drive shaft It would Just be a twice a year thing to remove and re-Install

    This year I have a 2025R(Gen II) and we Just Haven't been Getting snow so I have the quick Hitch Blade Mounted On my Loader 54 Plow Products I also Have a diverter Kit Hydraulic Products You would need one for the 1023E. But as soon as My Tektite Cab arrives I Might go Back to the Blower and quick Hitch On the 2025R. For this year I Currently have my 47inch blower mounted on a front quick-hitch on My X748(older version of X758) So I say don't Get rid of your Lawn Tractor and Front Blade Then You Can have Both a Blade and a Blower Mounted Because it Looks Like the Lawn Tractor and Blade Have worked so far for You.

    I personally have never Liked Rear Mount Blowers Which we used On the Family Farm Because I Hated to drive Backwards down the Road My neck always Hurt Later On. But It does allow you to have a quick Change Over as Other Have stated

    Personally I Prefer a front Mounted Blower.

    Deere is going to start offering the Front 3 Point Hitch for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) here In North America weather or Not There Going to Have a front Blade and Blower for it has yet to Be announced. Because they also Offering a Front PTO bracket adapter for the Front 3point Hitch. So I am Guessing some time Next year they will have a Blower & Blade for the 1 series and 2025R(Gen II) Front 3 Point Hitch But I bet it will be Introduced In the spring when Most of Use won't Need those Implements

    That was one thing I was wondering about the quick hitch. Can I leave the drive shaft needed to run the blower installed while using the blade? Sounds like I can. Thanks.

    Regarding the auto PTO connect, just how hard is it to get to the PTO coupling with the manual disconnect. It looks like the kind of thing where your arm needs to bend in ways it just can't to get around the brackets and get a grip on it, then heaven forbid it sticks. That's why I'm leaning toward the auto-connect then with the deck off removing the bracket from the tractor doesn't look like that much of job, but still something I'd need to practically crawl under the tractor to do, which is what I'm trying to get away from.

    I agree with the driving backwards pains. I went out and sat in the LX186 trying to get a feel for backing and in that it's a non-starter. Biggest problem is I just don't have the leg room to actually sit side saddle (I'm 6'2" 250lbs) and my back/neck just don't like twisting that much. It "may" be easier in a larger tractor but I'd hate to find out after the purchase that it isn't. At least I only have about 200' of driveway. Not the mile or more some people here have to clear. If I had a really long driveway I wouldn't even consider the rear mount blower.

    Another thing that bothers me about the quick hitch is it really doesn't seem all that sturdy, by tractor standards at least. If you notice the blade on my LX186 doesn't quite sit square anymore. I suspect I've tried to push piles that were just a little too much for this tiny tractor and some things bent that weren't supposed to. I'd hate find I deformed my quick hitch. The old 186 is going to go. It's almost 28 years old and while it has done the job, it hasn't always done it well. I suspect with a 1 series I can use the blade for a lot of the snows that now require me to use the blower.

    Wish I knew more about the coming front 3pt hitch. That sounds interesting, but being an early adopter has drawbacks. I could wait until spring, though the 1023E deal expires 1/29.

    Thanks again

  16. Top | #10
    DanW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Not sure where you are located but option B sounds good. If you would go with the Artillan kit and use the CTA blade on the FEL you could roll your arms all the way back and strap them down and just run two long hoses for the tilt on the CTA blade and it would would ok without the diverter kit. some one the forum has alread done this. Then you could lift your blade when making your piles of snow.
    54 Plow Products

    Doug
    Thanks Doug. I updated my profile to show my location. A little west of York, PA. I have very little experience with hydraulics. Looks like that's about to change.
    PJR832 likes this.

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •