• 2 Post By fdmars
  • 1 Post By rtgt

Thread: New tractor purchase advice

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks

New tractor purchase advice

I'm looking to purchase my first new tractor, a 3039R, from a dealer. The dealer has given me a quote and all the prices in the quote match the prices on the Deere website. When buying cars, there is always negotiating room between the MSRP and what the dealer will sell for, but I don't know how this translates to tractor buying. I am wondering what kind of price negotiation/wiggle room any of you have experienced on quoted prices when buying new? And/or any other thoughts and tips you might have. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    When I bought my 2025R my dealer came in almost 3K less than JD build your own price. Where are you located? I know up here this is one of the best times to buy because they are not moving any or very little inventory and are more willing to be flexible with the price.
    rtgt, OxPath and mark02tj like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by testpilot57 View Post
    ...what kind of price negotiation/wiggle room any of you have experienced...
    While I didn't find much wiggle room, when I purchased my tractor my dealer was offering a local promotion (Rodeo Special). You might also see if they work with you local "Farm Bureau" of similar group. I also got a discount for buying multiple implements. Good Luck
    rtgt, OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    George
    Smithville, TEXAS

1960 JD 430
    2010 Kawasaki Mule
    2014 X304 Lawn Tractor
    2018 4044M, 400E Loader
    Frontier Mower RC2072
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Titan forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    NEVER pay listed price on tractors, or much of anything else.
    I found when I was doing some searching prior to my purchase, that the general take on pricing and discounts was that 10% less was a decent price, 15% was a very good price, and 20% is basically unheard of.
    My dealer was very close to 15%.
    As Id never met the salesman before, I cant say that the fact that my family has been buying from them since they opened in the 70s had anything to do with it, but I did tell him Id shopped around a bit already and wanted the absolute best price he could give me right off the bat, and didnt want to haggle anything later. He came back with a very good price. Better than both the "Big" dealers in Indiana, including one mentioned here regularly. As a point of clarification, they may have ultimately beaten it had I asked, but I hate that game, so thats why I tell everyone I want the best price the first time. If its not, they wont hear from me again about it.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    There are dozens of stories about people getting 10%-20% discounts off of the JD "Build Your Own" pricing for 1- and 2-series machines. But I have no idea how that translates to 3-series machines.

In a lot of places 3- and 4-series machines are on 4 to 6 month back orders so dealers may not be willing to haggle much over a machine that they can sell to people willing to wait that kind of time.
    rtgt and OxPath like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    There are dozens of stories about people getting 10%-20% discounts off of the JD "Build Your Own" pricing for 1- and 2-series machines. But I have no idea how that translates to 3-series machines.

In a lot of places 3- and 4-series machines are on 4 to 6 month back orders so dealers may not be willing to haggle much over a machine that they can sell to people willing to wait that kind of time.
    I just bought a 4 series, with FEL, rotary cutter, 3rd SCV, canopy and air ride seat and I paid roughly 10% LESS than the JD price for the tractor and loader on deere.com

I also have the platinum JD thing (military discount) but that was only a few hundred and the JD money for the 4 series was another $1500 and the buy 2 attachments (FEL and rotary cutter) was another $500 off

Basically, after I went thru everything, there is no way I would pay more than 90% of the Deere.com price and you should be able to shop around and probably get 15% fairly easily
    fdmars and rtgt like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Buy Kennyd’s tractor, that is one smoking hot set up
    rtgt and wildbranch2007 like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 796 Posts
    If the tractor is as rare as the OC-4066R, then it will go for list +.

When I purchased my 3039R I paid less than list. How much, I don't know or care.

I went shopping for a 3033R with R1's. Dealer only had 39's & R4's. It took about 3 weeks to get to a final price but we got there.

It sounds like your salesman is not taking you serious. So are you "looking" to buy or are you "going" to buy.

Sit down with him and the quote, let him know you are serious if he wants to be and go from there.

When the dollars are right, Get-R-Done!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements