Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Snow removal

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks

Snow removal

Thanks to everyone that posted my previous subject of 2 family vs 3 family. I still haven’t decided. I needed to take a breather. I was driving my family (and myself) crazy just trying to reason what my needs are vs what will truly get the job done. Now that I’m back into research again, I find myself considering the lower options of a 2025R for its affordability vs the 2032/38R.
    Sergeant, I’d be curious on your current thought with your 2025R (is it the newer 2025R?).

My real reason for THIS post is what does everyone do for snow removal? Blade (front vs rear), bucket, thrower? Is 32HP / 38HP really better than 25HP or do you not notice? My driveway is 600’ paved, down hill or uphill (whatever your perspective). I live in Maryland. Some years no snow (like this year). But usually, once every 5 years, we get huge snowfall of 2 feet.

My purchase will only be the newer 2 family unless my tax return is larger (I know I shouldn’t let Uncle Trump keep my money and I should adjust my taxes so he doesn’t) than expected and I can afford the 3 family. I was planning on a front blade, but definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks for your input.
    ilmo likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,912 Posts
    ilmo likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Lots of reading in the link that Gizmo2 posted.

Snow removal doesn't require a lot of HP, it only requires the right set up for your needs and lots of traction.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and ilmo like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Lots of reading in the link that Gizmo2 posted.

Snow removal doesn't require a lot of HP, it only requires the right set up for your needs and lots of traction.
    I decided to buy a new 2018 2025R because it had the same horsepower as my 770 which handled the heavy snow plowing
    here in upstate New York as well as mowing 4+ acres. The 2025R sits higher than the 1025R but not as high as my 770.
    The new 2025R handled plowing over 1 foot deep snow in November with no problems. I use an old heavy ford back blade.
    The rear 3pt lift handled the weight of the rear blade fine but the height of lift was significantly less than what I expected.

Overall the 2025R meets my needs..It cost around $2000 more than the 1025R but the extra height made plowing a lot
    easier and was worth the extra cost. The higher end 2 series were much more expensive and was much more than what I
    needed.

I hope my experience helps out.
    ilmo and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    For no more snow than we normally get around here, my FEL and 60" back blade is what I use.

We had a lot more than normal year in 2014 and my 1025R handled it just fine. May have taken me a little longer than some that have a front blade mounted, but my bucket got the job done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T9iS3sU.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	666376

And it had no problem stacking the snow into a pile.

Name:	DmxtyW3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1,008.3 KB 
ID:	666378
    Gizmo2, pappa, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    I decided to buy a new 2018 2025R because it had the same horsepower as my 770 which handled the heavy snow plowing
    here in upstate New York as well as mowing 4+ acres. The 2025R sits higher than the 1025R but not as high as my 770.
    The new 2025R handled plowing over 1 foot deep snow in November with no problems. I use an old heavy ford back blade.
    The rear 3pt lift handled the weight of the rear blade fine but the height of lift was significantly less than what I expected.

Overall the 2025R meets my needs..It cost around $2000 more than the 1025R but the extra height made plowing a lot
    easier and was worth the extra cost. The higher end 2 series were much more expensive and was much more than what I
    needed.

I hope my experience helps out.
    I agree, we do get a good amount of snow on an average year, I plowed last year with my 1023 and then all the late March/April snows last year with my 2025. I use a FEL mounted 72" Moose plow on both, but the visibility and traction are so much better on the 2025 it makes it easier for sure. I'm in eastern Otsego County, so we get lake effect and pounded by nor'eaters.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, ilmo and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    This works best for me.1026R front bucket with edge tamers and rear blade with skids. My driveway is 1/2 mile long unpaved. Like you,I’m on a hill. From the house I plow downhill! Depending on the type of snow. I’ve already plowed down and was unable to get the tractor up to the house, so you’ll need tire chains. The reason I use the bucket, its simply. On a hill you will get yourself into a spot where you’ll need the bucket to push off with. Edge tamers are the key! Your bucket will act like a snow pusher! And you’ll still have the ability to move and pile snow where you need it. My hill is steep on the way down I’ll use both the bucket and rear blade. Going up I just drop the blade to clean up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5FD1CE3B-FD08-4E84-B050-10BE9417329E_1547128252433.jpeg  
    ilmo, mike01, HomesteadJoe and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    When I had a 1025R, I used a front snowblower and rear blade. The blade was for cleanup since I'm on a gravel driveway and I couldn't get the blower too low without spitting rocks. Even so, when I traded it in, the housing where the impeller was was down to bare steel. I also used the back blade for light snow when the blower would have been slow and pointless. I prefer a back blade to a front blade because you can just set it and go. With a front blade you have to be careful to not get caught on stuff. Of course a back blade can't handle anywhere near the amount snow a front blade can unless you go backwards with it, but that's what the blower was for.

Name:	325.JPG 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	666380

Here is a video of the blower in action in 3-4ft drifts:

1025r blowing 3+ snow drifts - YouTube

This setup worked great for snow. As you can see from the video, I had no complaints about effectiveness. It took on stuff you'd think you need a much larger tractor for--but you don't. My one complaint was that with the snowblower on the front, I didn't have a loader all winter. Switching was enough of a pain that however convenient it would have been to have a loader or forks, that convenience was far outweighed by the hassle of switching. But I always thought that a rear snowblower would be very uncomfortable to use, so I never gave it too much thought beyond the initial "which to get."

When I got my 2032, I was going to get a front blower. Had it priced and everything. Then I toyed around with the idea of getting a 3032E with a rear blower, and spent an hour driving one around the dealer lot backwards. I realized that if you turn in the seat so that you're sideways, it's pretty comfortable. So when I decided on the 2032, I got one with a rear blower.

This is my current setup. I have the blower in the rear that only comes on for heavy stuff. I use Edge Tamers on the bucket to clear the parking area (where I have 3/4" crushed stone) and the same small back blade from my 1025 for plowing up to 10" or so. It's the RB2060L, and it weighs only about 150lbs. I can pick it up and move it by hand. This is important because it doesn't tear up the driveway, even when it's not frozen. I don't want to grade my driveway while removing snow.

Name:	aaa.jpg 
Size:	5.88 MB 
ID:	666394

The advantages of a rear blower are numerous.

1. It's bigger and handles more/deeper snow (compared to the front 59" blower for the large 2Rs).
    2. It's easily attached and removed (especially with iMatch).
    3. You get to have your loader on all winter.
    4. It's universal...if you need to sell it, anyone can use it. Or if you get a different tractor, you can still use it.

I have rear SCVs, but I haven't gotten the hydraulic rotation/angling kits yet because I haven't seen the need to. The crank works fine and I don't see a need to change the deflector much or at all, but time will tell as we get more snow.

So far I've used the small rear blade and bucket with edge tamers almost exclusively. I've found the split brakes to be really handy for steering, as I'm on a steep hill with ditches on the side of my driveway and sometimes the front tires don't have enough grip to steer effectively. Overall I prefer this setup to the front blower on the 1025R. The rear blower is not a problem at all as long as you're sideways in the seat, but there is some small amount of strain that builds up over time. Nothing worth losing the loader all winter, or giving up the bigger blower.
    DRobinson, ilmo, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Highgear2005 View Post
    This works best for me.1026R front bucket with edge tamers and rear blade with skids. My driveway is 1/2 mile long unpaved. Like you,I’m on a hill. From the house I plow downhill! Depending on the type of snow. I’ve already plowed down and was unable to get the tractor up to the house, so you’ll need tire chains. The reason I use the bucket, its simply. On a hill you will get yourself into a spot where you’ll need the bucket to push off with. Edge tamers are the key! Your bucket will act like a snow pusher! And you’ll still have the ability to move and pile snow where you need it. My hill is steep on the way down I’ll use both the bucket and rear blade. Going up I just drop the blade to clean up.
    How do you get those skids to stay in place? I tightened mine until I thought the bolt would snap and they still turn/spin. I was going to drill a hole and put a pin in to keep them in place but then I just took them off and that worked better.

Do you angle the blade at all? I feel like they might not spin if you keep the blade straight.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo1906 View Post
    Is 32HP / 38HP really better than 25HP or do you not notice? My driveway is 600’ paved, down hill or uphill (whatever your perspective). I live in Maryland. Some years no snow (like this year). But usually, once every 5 years, we get huge snowfall of 2 feet.
    There is snow removal equipment designed to match each of the machines so HP isn't really a big issue there, IMO. A bigger machine just allows you to choose bigger implements. But lots of people would rather have the smaller machine (for any number of reasons!) and spend more time on them.

IMO, the 25HP vs. 32HP vs. 38HP really comes into play with PTO driven implements. The differences in horsepower getting to the PTO can be more significant than engine HP.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast