Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Advise on snow plowing with R4 tires

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks

Post Advise on snow plowing with R4 tires

I have a JD 4510 tractor which I use frequently to move hay rolls out to our cattle. It has a Ballast Box filled with bricks on the 3PH as well as rear fluid filled tires. The tires are R4s with decent tread. The tractor is 4WD. In plowing our recent snowfall of about 10" this past weekend with a bucket, I found that on flat ground I was able to get traction and move the snow, but once the snow was packed, I could not get up even a small incline at the top of the driveway. This left me wondering what, if any, are reasonable options. We live in the northern Virginia area and some years we have zero snow. Chains will not fit on the rear tires in the present configuration and I really don't want to spend the $$ to have the tires reversed or spread out to give enough room for chains. Don't want to spend big money on chains either!
    I was thinking that siping the tires was one reasonable option, and, not an expensive outlay, even for the tool. (Under $100 I think.) Are there some plowing techniques that I might use to help me be a better snow clearer? Our driveway is mostly flat, and maybe 500' long. I also need to move the hay rolls on mostly level ground out to the cattle. Getting really stuck would be bad!

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Can you try chains on the front? Might be the easiest and cheapest fix. Industrial tires are typically bad in the conditions you mention...a trade off for a harder rubber and longer wear.

Hope you can find a low-dollar solution.
    PaDave and mike01 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    Spacers and chains will solve the problem and just take them off when winter is over. Not that big a deal to put them on once a year. Better then getting stuck and they give you more ballast weight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3713.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	667290I could not do winter here with out chains on my 4045M tractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3655.JPG  
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-16-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    PaDave, JKR, keane and 5 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    Spacers and chains will solve the problem and just take them off when winter is over. Not that big a deal to put them on once a year. Better then getting stuck and they give you more ballast weight. I could not do winter here with out chains on my 4045M tractor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3667.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	7.31 MB 
ID:	667298Taken before I built my real cab!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    PaDave, JKR, wentonbrown and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grass Roots Farmer View Post
    Don't want to spend big money on chains either!
    I was thinking that siping the tires was one reasonable option, and, not an expensive outlay, even for the tool. (Under $100 I think.)

Thanks for any ideas.
    My 4105 and R4's do not like the snow,,,

It was all I could do to back into location so I could take this pic,,,

My rear tires are not the issue,, it is the fronts,, the front tires just slide down hill,, whichever direction "down hill" is,,

I am making a set of chains for the front of the 4105 out of a set that I have,, hopefully, that will resolve my needs,,,

The front end is so able to "push" the tires,, I doubt tire grooves would help any at all,,,

Compressed snow is like "ice",, that needs chains,, or, maybe studs,,
    PaDave, BigJim55, mike01 and 3 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I had a 2520 with loaded R4 tires and had no issue loosing traction while plowing snow. But I was using a snow plow not the bucket. I have recently sold that tractor a bought a 2018 3032 with a snow plow. It also has loaded R4 tires but we haven't got any snow yet so I can't give you an answer as to how this tractor pushes snow. I should know more this weekend as we are supposed to be getting 20" in my area.

I'm wondering if the problem you are running into is the surface area of the bucket bottom causing a drag on the snow, which causes you to loose traction. You may need more weight to offset the bucket surface area contacting the snow. A plow only has the snow plow cutting edge contacting the ground which allows you to push the snow. You also clean the area you are driving on, giving you the best traction. Just a thought.
    mike01, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    There really is no technique involved - it is what it is with R4’s on packed wet snow. I just don’t know any other option than chains.

I realize it is quite an investment but you only need to do it once. My chains were only $400 (rears only) and I didn’t need any spacers but I still had to really talk myself into it. But am so glad I did - the difference was outstanding. I was to the point where I couldn’t walk my tractor to the top of my driveway without the bucket down.

The chains I have are very low clearance - maybe they would work for you without spacers?

Aquiline Tire Chains

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98E76324-1538-416F-A83F-994A2676D9D9.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	667310
    North585, ejb69, PaDave and 8 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 3520 with filled R4's. I have chains front and back. I had trouble with control in slick snow on inclines before I put chains on the front.
    -Chuck

Cogito ergo armatum sum

’05 JD 3520 w/300X FEL, 448 backhoe, MX5 brushhog and iMatch

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I had also heard it's not a good idea to run tire chains on the front of 4 wheel drive tractors? Something to do with the front and rear transmissions ratios being different do to tire sizes. If the front tires are spinning it could cause damage to the front transmission? Again I just over heard this in a conversation not sure there is any truth to it?
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Without chains my r4 tires just spin which turns the snow into ice. I agree best way to fix your problem are chains.
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast