Block Heater use - How long is too long?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Block Heater use - How long is too long?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 AM
    Thanks

Block Heater use - How long is too long?

My block heater has stopped working. I had it plugged in for 3+ hrs the other day. (longer than I had planned on) I had got involved with other activities and before I knew it a fair amount of time had gone by.

Oddly enough I felt the engine when I finally remembered and it was stone cold. Unplugged the heater and checked resistance and it was open. So in reality I don't really know at what point the heater stopped working. It clearly had to have been less than 3hrs given the engine had no warmth at all.

Usually I plug in for 1+ hrs maybe. I'm struggling to think the extended time would have been the cause of the fail and instead I think the fail was due to end of life.

Thought I would ask others what their thoughts were. Would an extended period of time of use on this block heater cause a premature fail?

At any rate I did find the heater on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: Zerostart 3100003 Engine Block Immersion Heater for Eagle, Jaquar, Jeep, Renault, Rover, Kubota, Massey, Perkins, Yanmar, 1 NPT Thread Brass Adapter | CSA Approved | 120 Volts | 400 Watts: Automotive

I'm also thinking it might be a good time to install the optional 180 thermostat as well. My coolant was scheduled to be drained anyways as it had been about 2-3 yrs.
    Optional thermostat p/n M812140. I see in the manual that it suggest replacing gasket at same time. Would anyone have that p/n handy? I haven't seen mention of a gasket in any of the post I've read about on the 180 thermostat replacement. Plus in looking up the parts diagram I don't see where it is shown. Odd that they would say to put a new gasket on in the manual but not show it in the diagram.

What have others had to do
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    54D Mowing Deck w/Auto Connect
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    47" QH Snowblower w/linear actuator
    54" QH Blade w/Artillian Rubber Edge
    Heavy Hitch Bracket w/receiver & cart
    HH Quick attach Front Weight Bracket
    Lawn sweeper (left over from 420)
    Dump Cart (left over from 420)
    Loaded Turf Tires with Wheel Weights & Chains
    Most important item - Tech Manual
    Previously, 26yr owner of JD 420 w/mowing deck, & blade
    Tech Manual for 420

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    When I got mine from John Deere (Special Order) it had the rubber gasket as part of the T-Stat already attached to the rim. I don't know what an after market one will come with as there were none available that I could find.
    Tomfive and kylew like this.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    47" Snow Blower, 54" Front Blade, Fits Both Tractors Quick Hitch
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 2,225 Posts
    You can leave them plugged in indefinitely - if you like a crazy electric bill. At work our trucks were plugged in for days at a time but they were on a thermostatic power box.

These heaters will burn out - no different than the elements in a water heater. What will make them burn out instantly is them being turned in dry. They are only meant to be powered when immersed.

Just a quick side story - at work we had all Mack dump trucks. We were having a batch of the block heaters going bad. Long story short - the heaters were installed way up high on the engine above the water pump. The drivers were starting the trucks while they were still plugged in. What was happening is that when the engine started, there would be a moment when there was no coolant covering the heaters on startup which burned them out.

Since then I have bee adamant about not starting any machine while the block heater is plugged in.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

kadorken(01-27-2019), Zebrafive(01-27-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Thanks
    As Stan said, you can run them indefinitely, and they burn out due to age or running them dry. Always disconnect them for a few minutes before starting the engine. The Zerostart 310-0003 is the one I just bought and all info I've found is that is the exact same one JD installs and will sell you for a higher price. You're good to go.

The t-stat doesn't have a housing gasket. As Sundancer mentioned, the seal is made part of the stat. Unbolt the housing, pop out the stat, drop the new one in, re-bolt housing back on. Literally 1 minute. Takes a lot longer to drain the coolant then change the stat, and I only drained the coolant from the radiator.
    rtgt likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I'll plug mine in the night before.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    I was wondering the same thing yesterday. Thanks for starting the thread!
    I have my 1025R in my shop, which is around 50 degrees F if I'm not in it.
    I plugged in my block heater the other night, and thought I should check it the next morning (9 hours later) before I went to work. To my surprise, the top of the block was reading 150 or more, which I thought was a bit too hot. I thought it would have a t-stat switch or something, but no. I'm using a Fluke IR temperature gun.
    So last night, I played around to see how fast it got hot. I started at 55F and in 1/2 hour it was 90F on the valve cover, which I think would be good for starting. From this, one would guess it would get up to a good starting temp in maybe an hour if it were cold, but shielded from wind.
    I have some controllable outlets that are rated for 10A. The heater draws just under 4A when running. It's rated 400W.
    I now have it on my Amazon Alexa system, so I can say "Alexa, turn on tractor" (I named the outlet) a half hour or hour before I start it. I think that will work just fine. I can also set a timer to turn off the outlet in case I forget.
    I'm hoping I didn't shorten the life of my heater by running it too long. Also, I remember hearing it "boiling" very soon after plugging it in last night, so it was probably doing that all night long the first time.
    1025R
    54D MMM
    H120 FEL

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing yesterday. Thanks for starting the thread!
    I have my 1025R in my shop, which is around 50 degrees F if I'm not in it.
    I plugged in my block heater the other night, and thought I should check it the next morning (9 hours later) before I went to work. To my surprise, the top of the block was reading 150 or more, which I thought was a bit too hot. I thought it would have a t-stat switch or something, but no. I'm using a Fluke IR temperature gun.
    Umm... using a block heater at 50-degrees ambient is a total waste of electricity.
    glc, IndianaJim, Ray_PA and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Umm... using a block heater at 50-degrees ambient is a total waste of electricity.
    I was testing for when I move the tractor to my unheated garage.
    1025R
    54D MMM
    H120 FEL

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    At work some of the hard to start equipment stays plugged 24/7 during the colder months when not in use.
    glc likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Went to my part-time job about two weeks ago. One of the guys there had his diesel pickup truck plugged in overnight and it was about 45*. Of course, it is a Dodge truck, so maybe that explains it.

glc and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast