Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What should I do?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks

What should I do?

I currently have a 2012 1026r with about 800 hrs on it. Use it for mowing 3.5 acres, lawn maintenance, blowing snow, and grading lane.

For the winter I have a 54" snow blower, rear blade, and an OTC soft cab w/o heater.

This setup works good if it's sunny, 10 degrees +, and the wind isn't blowing too bad. But if the winds blowing there is too many air leaks, if it's cloudy or at night the windows fog up, and if it's below zero it all happens.

Depending on how big the drifts are it could take up to 4 hrs the clear them. As I get older dealing with the issues isn't fun anymore.

So I have decided that I will have a hard cab with heat before next winter.

Option 1

Buy a Cozy or a Mauser cab and install on my current tractor, then maybe in a couple years buy a new tractor and transfer the cab to the new tractor.

Option 2

Buy a new 1025r with a cab taking advantage of the 0% and other incentives and be good for 7 to 10 years.

Option 1

Pros

One owner and well maintained
    No issues with the 1026r
    Cheaper at this time.

Cons

How many more hrs until issues start?
    Trade in gets less everyday.
    Having to swap cab at a later date.
    Extra $275 for an adapter kit for the Mauser cab.

Option 2

Pros

New tractor
    0% financing and other incentives
    Warranty
    Hopefully will be trouble free
    Beat any future price increases
    Cost of cab spread out over 60 months

Cons

Payments
    Approximately $7000 more
    Transferring lights, QH brackets, weights, etc

I'm leaning towards getting a new tractor, seems like it makes more sense.

What would you do?
    Jep and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LT_JD View Post
    I currently have a 2012 1026r with about 800 hrs on it. Use it for mowing 3.5 acres, lawn maintenance, blowing snow, and grading lane.

For the winter I have a 54" snow blower, rear blade, and an OTC soft cab w/o heater.

This setup works good if it's sunny, 10 degrees +, and the wind isn't blowing too bad. But if the winds blowing there is too many air leaks, if it's cloudy or at night the windows fog up, and if it's below zero it all happens.

Depending on how big the drifts are it could take up to 4 hrs the clear them. As I get older dealing with the issues isn't fun anymore.

Option 1

Buy a Cozy or a Mauser cab and install on my current tractor, then maybe in a couple years buy a new tractor and transfer the cab to the new tractor.

Option 2

Buy a new 1025r with a cab taking advantage of the 0% and other incentives and be good for 7 to 10 years.

Option 1

Pros

No issues with the 1026r
    Cheaper at this time.

Cons

Option 2

Pros

New tractor
    Warranty

Cons

Payments
    Approximately $7000 more

What would you do?
    If you have a good dealer and either get a good trade price or can sell outright, and you're older and can afford it and since you use it a lot, like it, have the attachments...then buy new.
    Why not?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    Robnik likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenhills1952 For This Useful Post:

LT_JD (01-27-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    If your plan is to get a new machine in a few years anyway, then I'd just do it now. You list "payments" as a con but you're going to end up with payments sooner or later anyway so...
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

LT_JD (01-27-2019), Sevenhills1952 (01-28-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    If it were me, I would buy a new one with everything you think you will need or want. The older I get the easier I try to make my life! The way I see it is that I worked my @ss off the first 50 years of my life so I could take it easy for years I have left.....
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robnik For This Useful Post:

Jep (01-28-2019), Sevenhills1952 (01-28-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks

Option 1

Option 2

Option 1

Pros

No issues with the 1026r
    Cheaper at this time.

Cons

Option 2

Pros

New tractor
    Warranty

Cons

Payments
    Approximately $7000 more

What would you do?
    Quick fix order the heater OTC Now Offers 12-Volt Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/ Fan with Swivel Base RPSL681 it actually does work rather well with Keeping the Cab from fogging up as Much
    ColonyPark, jdforever and Robnik like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks

Option 1

You say you have a 1026R, so doesn't that mean you have a backhoe? Mauser will not work with a backhoe.

Option 2

Option 1

Pros

No issues with the 1026r
    Cheaper at this time.

Cons

Option 2

Pros

New tractor
    Warranty

Cons

Payments
    Approximately $7000 more

If money is not the object, buy a new tractor equipped the way you want it. New equals warranty, updated features and daggumit, do you want and deserve it? Then buy it!

What would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Quick fix order the heater OTC Now Offers 12-Volt Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/ Fan with Swivel Base RPSL681 it actually does work rather well with Keeping the Cab from fogging up as Much
    Sergeants suggestion is a viable alternative. I would seriously consider this before a new tractor as it will not cost that much. You will need to upgrade to a 55 amp alternator if you choose this option. Check out the attached link. I would think that if you chose this route, heater, alternator and installation would be less than 1K. You would recoup quit a bit of that down the road if you finally decided to purchase a new tractor.

Alternator Rigmaster Apu Ishikawajima 2004 2005 Up
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    Well I'm in the other camp. I would first see if I could dump maximum heat and air flow into the current soft cab set up and keep the windows clear and me warm, that leaves you with the cost to install a real big heater and not have 5 years of payments.

Next to that I would buy a hard cab and install it on the 2012, with only 800 hours on it, there is a lot of life left in that tractor.

Last choice, for me, would be to buy new. True, you pay now or pay later but I would rather pay later if possible. At least that is my opinion today, I change my mind all the time so maybe tomorrow I'll say to buy a 2032R with a cab, (that's what I would love to have).

ColonyPark, jdforever and Robnik like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Time you get done trying to change cabs and hoping they will fit a future tractor and other considerations I'd say go drive a few new 1-2-3- Series with cabs and see how you feel about it. If money isn't a problem, get it over with and buy a new one. Tell the dealer to bring the one you like out to your place and use it for a week(hopefully a crap cold snowing week)
    Jep and Robnik like this.
    Chris

2019 4052R/Cab, iMatch QH, 440R Loader w/BW16358 Bucket(Got Loops) , Frontier RB5072 Blade, Frontier LP1184 Land Plane, Front moveable fenders, Rear fender extensions, Dual Exterior mirrors,Ballast Box BW15073, Dual rear work lights(LVB24853), JD Hammerstrap, R2 4" Edge Tamers, (coming soon: Weather radar,FLIR,HUD, Chocolate bar & "Manpon" dispensers)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    I going to offer a different take on your thread.

I would order the new tractor with the cab and keep the 1026r you presently have.

I did not order a MMM on my tractor and I can't ever imagine I will add one. I mow with a dedicated professional zero turn and it keeps the tractor with the cab from being driven under trees, etc.

Personally, I would think keeping your 1026R with the mower and using the new 1025r with the cab for duties like winter, etc. is a great compromise. After all, you know the 1026R and obviously like it. Plus, it has been trouble free and well maintained. Not having to use the 1026r in the winter will likely extend it's life and it also keeps you with a back up machine in either case. The amount you are getting for the 1026r is not as much in dollars as the machine has in value to you for mowing, as a second machine and just to make doing the things you need done easier.

I really struggled with ordering my new machine. My wife kept telling me that she didn't care what I did or bought, but she did have two things she would like me to do to make her happy. First, I HAD to buy the Mauser cab if I was getting a new tractor. She and it turns out several neighbor ladies "worry about me being out in the cold and snow for hours" when dealing with snow. It's kind of flattering to know several other women were concerned about me being out in the elements when I was clearing snow in their drives and others......

The second item was she did NOT want me to sell my 455 as it had been such a great machine and so reliable and helpful. She knew how the 455 had actually produced enough money plowing snow and mowing and doing other tasks for neifhbors, that in her words "the 455 doesn't owe you a thing, but you should keep it as you have always been able to count on it." She is 100% correct.

Then, in May of 2017, the steering cylinder on my 455 began leaking severely. For the first time in the 20 plus years I have owned the 455, I was unable to get a part for it. A very long story shortened, I ended up waiting nearly 9 months to get a new steering cylinder because Deere was changing suplier sources, etc. for this item. In the mean time, a friend who owns the local ExMark, Hustler, Echo and many other brands of equipment, dropped off a new 60" Commercial Zero Turn ExMark mower for me to try. I absolutely loved the machine and it cuts incredibly well. I bought it in July (could be June, I would have to look).

I then ended up ordering my 1025r without the MMM and have NEVER regretted it. Now I have the best machine for the task for mowing and the best machine for other tasks like snow plowing, aerating, spraying, etc. I ended up selling several of my old attachments for my 455 like the sprayer, thatcher, spike aerator, my push mowers and several other pieces of equipment and then buying a total of 10 or 11 implements and attachments for the 1025r. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

If you have the room, I would keep your current machine AND order the new one with the cab. I kept my 455 and plan to restore it as it has been such a great machine to me. In fact, my 455 bought and paid for the new machine and all the implements by plowing snow and other things for neighbors.

My advice, Keep what you have AND buy the new machine. Then you will have the best of both worlds. You are not going to want to mow with the cab on unless you remove the doors and open the front and rear window. I have found there are so many other uses for these machines OTHER than mowing. I use it to fertilize, weed sprayer, core aerate, landscape rake, box blade, pallet forks, front end loader, grapple and the list goes on and on. Just imagine having one machine for mowing (the 1026r which has been a great machine) and you can use the other tractor for other tasks simultaneously. It's very handy.

Also, not taking it on trade, your dealer likely can make the price on the 1025r a little better as he doesn't have to build in the margin for dealing with the 1026r on trade. Generally, the dealers will give you about 70% to 75% of what the tractor is worth if its a clean, well maintained trade. The 20% to 25% they build into the deal to put your tractor through the service department to have it checked out and prepared for resale. I think the 1026r is more valuable to you as your mowing tractor than it is on trade on the new deal. If I were in your position, and I had room to store both machines, that's what I would do.

That said, I would also make sure to order your 1025r with the 120r front end loader. Its a great loader and looks great on the tractor with it's sweeping design. I also wouldn't buy a MMM for the 1025r and I would just keep the current tractor. I know this is a different spin on what you were thinking, but I really think you should consider it......

After this past week with -20 degree air temps and -55 wind chills, the Mauser cab has been a life saver.......and made the plowing experience SO MUCH NICER. As you know, I plow a LOT of snow and frankly, the only reason I do and can is because of the cab....

But I also am glad I don't have to mow with my 1025r as I like to keep it from getting scratched under any trees, etc. Also, I like having the very best tool for the job and for mowing, that's the commercial grade zero turn mower. But you already have a mowing machine, so I would order the 1025r to do everything else with the cab........

Don't get me wrong, just because I don't mow with my 1025r doesn't mean I don't put hours on it. Right now, its just under 300 hours in the 15 months I have owned it.

Feel free to contact me via PM with any other questions or thoughts you may have on the cab, tractor or accessories to make it even safer and easier to use.... Glad to do whatever I can to provide insight and assistance to you.

SB
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    My CFO approved checking into a new tractor and my dealer came up with a great deal so I bought a new 1025r today.

Don't get it for a month or so, maybe winter will be done by then.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast