• 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: If you have a 3 point snow blower

1. Top | #1
    JKR
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks

If you have a 3 point snow blower

I order a 64" rear snow blower. I was useing a 7' rear scraper that worked better that my 6' power angle front loader plow.
    I have a large gravel driveway when it's not frozen the plow moves more gravel than snow.
    The power angle plow is hard to get the right angle every time you lift it up to backup and start over again.
    besides I don't like the very big snow piles.
    I had a small walk behind snow blower before and it work well for me. But it took what to long to clean my driveway. ( before I got the tractor )

What do you guys use on the front of the tractor with a snow blower in the rear.
    plow
    bucket
    bucket with snow tamers
    snow pusher.

I can keep my plow and use it for back draging it works good for that. Or trade it in on the snow blower.

I a little undesided what to do.

All I know I want to spend less time out side removing snow.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    If you have a bucket on the front AND a gravel drive, then Edge Tamers are the way to go.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    If you have a bucket on the front AND a gravel drive, then Edge Tamers are the way to go.
    This is what I am running. Two 4Ē tamers on a 61hd bucket.
    Kennyd and Superglidesport like this.
    -3039r Large R4s, H165 61" HD Bucket, Mid PTO, 3rd, 4th, 5th SCV's, 2" Bora Spacers, Fwd lights, Blinders, Woods GSS60, Artillian 42 & 24 Forks, Wicked 54 Grapple, Woods SB74C
    -X380 48" Deck
    -2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700, 26" OG Bighorns, Glideplate, Ricochet Skids, Terra 3500

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    I have a bucket and edge tamers.

I alternate between the blower and a rear scraper, but I have my blower up on big fat skis (custom made skids) and so it doesn't go all the way down. If it did, it would be a gravel spitting machine gun. So after I use the blower on heavy snow, I have to attach the rear blade and finish up.

But this is not ideal, because the tractor goes first and the blade is not offset, so it results in a very narrow area of cleared driveway. I'm actually thinking of picking up a front loader mounted plow.

I'm very happy that I no longer have a front blower though. Not having a loader all winter was not the best.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have a paved driveway so I have different issues. I only use the 3pt blower in heavier storms. My loader-mounted plow is much faster for smaller amounts of snow. So I use the front plow and rear scraper for 80% of my snow removal and then the rear blower and front plow combo for the rest.

But if I had to deal with gravel, I'd probably go with the rear blower and bucket with edge tamers for the majority of snow removal. I'd be very hesitant to get rid of my front plow though. I'd keep it and still use it when the driveway was frozen.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    I know you asked about a 3PH blower but I have the same situation as you but went a different route. I have a long gravel driveway but also clean two paved driveways. I have a 54" snowblower on the front of my 2720 and a 5-foot blade on the back.

The blower is my go-to tool for anything over 6" or so but for all of the smaller cleanups I use the rear blade. Like you, if I plow with the cutting edge it digs up gravel something fierce. But I go backwards pushing against the curved side of the blade. This allows me to skim the snow off the gravel without digging up many stones. I've been plowing this way for 25+ years. First with my old 9N and a rear blade and now with the 2720 and a rear blade.

Having the snow blower on the front and the blade on the back is like having a multi-tool. I can plow up piles of snow and then blow them out of the way. If the snow is packed ice I can carefully plow forward and shave the snow/ice down while feathering the 3PH. This works especially well on pavement. I have a hydraulic angle on my rear blade so I can flip it back and forth manipulating the snow just like I was putting icing on a cake. I only ever had a manual rear blade on my 9N and while I made it work it sure it nice being able to change the blade angle without getting on and off the tractor.

The very first snow of the year I didn't have my blower ready to me installed so I used my backup plan - the loader bucket with Edge Tamers. Don't get me wrong, the Edge Tamers worked great but it was horribly slow. It took me over 3 hours to clean up an area that normally takes one hour. Granted this was my first time using the loader but I hope it was my last.

If I were to try a front plow I would no doubt have the same issue as you. The only other front implement I would try is a snow pusher. Since they have skid shoes similar to a snow blower it would be easier to regulate the height and avoid gathering gravel.
    mike01 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    I have shoes on my front and rear blade. I also have a 3 point blower that I only use for big drifts, it also has skids and I hold it up with the 3 point. My front plow is a loader mount and I set it down a curl it back on the shoes. Still get some gravel especially in wet heavy snow, I have not found a way to avoid some gravel. Last two plows have been lucky as itís been real cold and driveways are solid ice. I have turn my rear blade around so cutting edge donít dig in on wet snow and it glides over most of it, or if it is a small amount of snow I just donít plow. Always a pain when driveways arenít frozen.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I know you asked about a 3PH blower but I have the same situation as you but went a different route. I have a long gravel driveway but also clean two paved driveways. I have a 54" snowblower on the front of my 2720 and a 5-foot blade on the back.

The blower is my go-to tool for anything over 6" or so but for all of the smaller cleanups I use the rear blade. Like you, if I plow with the cutting edge it digs up gravel something fierce. But I go backwards pushing against the curved side of the blade. This allows me to skim the snow off the gravel without digging up many stones. I've been plowing this way for 25+ years. First with my old 9N and a rear blade and now with the 2720 and a rear blade.

Having the snow blower on the front and the blade on the back is like having a multi-tool. I can plow up piles of snow and then blow them out of the way. If the snow is packed ice I can carefully plow forward and shave the snow/ice down while feathering the 3PH. This works especially well on pavement. I have a hydraulic angle on my rear blade so I can flip it back and forth manipulating the snow just like I was putting icing on a cake. I only ever had a manual rear blade on my 9N and while I made it work it sure it nice being able to change the blade angle without getting on and off the tractor.

The very first snow of the year I didn't have my blower ready to me installed so I used my backup plan - the loader bucket with Edge Tamers. Don't get me wrong, the Edge Tamers worked great but it was horribly slow. It took me over 3 hours to clean up an area that normally takes one hour. Granted this was my first time using the loader but I hope it was my last.

If I were to try a front plow I would no doubt have the same issue as you. The only other front implement I would try is a snow pusher. Since they have skid shoes similar to a snow blower it would be easier to regulate the height and avoid gathering gravel.
    That was basically my set up last year with the 1025R. But my back blade didn't damage the driveway because I used a very light one. It's only 150lbs. I can pick it up and move it.

I'm thinking something along the same lines now, but reversed. Snowblower in the back for the really heavy stuff, front plow blade for everything else.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 8' rear blade with hydraulic angle, a 74" 3pt blower, an 8' homebuilt manual angle front blade, and the HD bucket without edge tamers. My driveway is gravel. I haven't really used the front blade much, I might if I ever got around to making it power angle. The rear blade works so well, I prefer it at the moment. I have the skid shoes for the RB, and hydraulic top link.

I get drifts of snow, so I usually have to deal with snow that is several feet deep in some areas and only inches in others. I also have buildings on both sides of my driveway in certain areas, so I can't always just blow the snow off to one side.

I use my bucket every time I move snow, no matter what is on the 3pt. My usual plan involves starting with the RB and bucket, moving the snow into areas where I stack it or an area where I can blow it. Even in the areas I can blow snow off the driveway to either side, I usually use the rear blade to bring the snow into a uniform line, then put on the blower and blow it. My driveway is basically flat, so I have the luxury of leaving a thin layer of snow over my gravel with all my implements. I like the idea of Edge Tamers, but I back drag a lot and I also have just been using an FEL for so many years I don't have a lot of problems. My last clean-up pass is always with the bucket in float mode.

With an iMatch, it takes seconds to switch between the RB and the blower. When I had my 2305 I just had a rear blower and it was ok, but not as good as having a RB and blower.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements