• 1 Post By IndianaJim

Thread: Tractor tire sizes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks

Tractor tire sizes

Hi all.
    So this might be a dumb question, but since Ive been asked it several times in one form or another over the last few weeks/month, I figure maybe I should find out if Im right or wrong.

Backstory...
    Ive got a tire or two for sale. Or they were for sale. None of this involves this forum, and Im pretty sure nobody here would have asked.
    Its a 12-16.5, same tire on the 2320, old and new 2025, older x55 series (some of them), etc. Its a somewhat common size. Its also used on skid steers at higher ply ratings.
    I keep getting guys asking what size it is, even though its clearly listed in the title and body of the ad.
    Some guys ask if they will fit a garden tractor, some ask how tall they are, one guy swore up and down that there should be three numbers associated with the size and that he had tractors and knew this, and that every tire does. One guy also argued that this tire in this ply rating doesnt exist. He should tell Carlisle and Deere, because there are a LOT of them out there.

Anyway, the point of all of this is, its been my understanding for quite some time now that quite a few tractor/construction tires do not have three numbers denoting their size. This was always a given for me, as Ive been around these things for quite a long time. I even used to sell tires at one point way back when, and had someone come in asking for a tractor tire using height, tread width, and rim size, Im not sure we wouldnt have looked at them like they had two heads.

Have I been wrong all this time?
    Even though my Carlisle Trac Chief tires only show 12-16.5, should the size be shown in inches anyway?
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Hi all.
    So this might be a dumb question, but since Ive been asked it several times in one form or another over the last few weeks/month, I figure maybe I should find out if Im right or wrong.

Backstory...
    Ive got a tire or two for sale. Or they were for sale. None of this involves this forum, and Im pretty sure nobody here would have asked.
    Its a 12-16.5, same tire on the 2320, old and new 2025, older x55 series (some of them), etc. Its a somewhat common size. Its also used on skid steers at higher ply ratings.
    I keep getting guys asking what size it is, even though its clearly listed in the title and body of the ad.
    Some guys ask if they will fit a garden tractor, some ask how tall they are, one guy swore up and down that there should be three numbers associated with the size and that he had tractors and knew this, and that every tire does. One guy also argued that this tire in this ply rating doesnt exist. He should tell Carlisle and Deere, because there are a LOT of them out there.

Anyway, the point of all of this is, its been my understanding for quite some time now that quite a few tractor/construction tires do not have three numbers denoting their size. This was always a given for me, as Ive been around these things for quite a long time. I even used to sell tires at one point way back when, and had someone come in asking for a tractor tire using height, tread width, and rim size, Im not sure we wouldnt have looked at them like they had two heads.
    People are morons. I find that if you keep getting questions on things like that, take a pic of the tire size form right off the tire and post that with your ad.

Have I been wrong all this time?
    Nope. There are multiple methods of stating tire sizes over the years. People you are getting questions from are just familiar with the newest standards.

Even though my Carlisle Trac Chief tires only show 12-16.5, should the size be shown in inches anyway?
    The size IS shown in inches. 12-16.5 is a 12" wide tire that fits on a 16.5" diameter rim.
    Last edited by JimR; 02-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    People are morons. I find that if you keep getting questions on things like that, take a pic of the tire size form right off the tire and post that with your ad.
    Ill definitely take a picture of the size and post it next time. Along with a nice disclaimer stating that if you dont recognize the size, it likely wont work for you, and that further information is available from the manufacturers web site.

Nope. There are multiple methods of stating tire sizes over the years. People you are getting questions from are just familiar with the newest standards.
    I noticed on these, they do also have the metric specs, all 3, just not inches. It seems with the people I was dealing with, that was the hang up. I honestly think they were just looking for a completely different size and didnt understand what I had.

The size IS shown in inches. 12-16.5 is a 12" wide tire that fits on a 16.5" diameter rim.
    I know thats in inches, but there is no third number in the tire size. Thats been the big issue. Well, the big issue is guys arguing with me about what I have for sale because they simply arent familiar with it.
    I think they are just more used to smaller tires like 26x12x12, or similar, like some non-metric sized truck tires, 31x10.50x15 and so on. They want all three numbers, and while they can be found on the manufacturers web site with the spec sheet, it isnt listed on the tire itself, except as noted above, in metric terms.

Well, at least Im not completely crazy...yet...
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Tire sizes

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Ill definitely take a picture of the size and post it next time. Along with a nice disclaimer stating that if you dont recognize the size, it likely wont work for you, and that further information is available from the manufacturers web site.

I noticed on these, they do also have the metric specs, all 3, just not inches. It seems with the people I was dealing with, that was the hang up. I honestly think they were just looking for a completely different size and didnt understand what I had.

I know thats in inches, but there is no third number in the tire size. Thats been the big issue. Well, the big issue is guys arguing with me about what I have for sale because they simply arent familiar with it.
    I think they are just more used to smaller tires like 26x12x12, or similar, like some non-metric sized truck tires, 31x10.50x15 and so on. They want all three numbers, and while they can be found on the manufacturers web site with the spec sheet, it isnt listed on the tire itself, except as noted above, in metric terms.

Well, at least Im not completely crazy...yet...
    I've recently had a crash course in tire sizes and you are completely correct but I can understand why someone used to passenger/truck tire sizes and/or metric sizes might want a third number. It's something of a confusing mess with different systems. I like the idea of posting a pic of the sidewall with the info visible. I doubt it will stop all questions though.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Thanks
    My 2025 tires say 305/70-16.5 and then under that it says 12-16.5
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I've recently had a crash course in tire sizes and you are completely correct but I can understand why someone used to passenger/truck tire sizes and/or metric sizes might want a third number. It's something of a confusing mess with different systems. I like the idea of posting a pic of the sidewall with the info visible. I doubt it will stop all questions though.

Treefarmer
    After the one guy insisted there were 3 numbers (in inches) I sent him a picture of the sidewall. He still insisted I was missing one, so no, likely wont stop them all, but you are right, it will probably slow it down considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    My 2025 tires say 305/70-16.5 and then under that it says 12-16.5
    Mine too. But if you go looking for a replacement R4, and tell them you want a 305/70-16.5, it might take some doing to get to the right tire. Carlisle only lists it as a 12-16.5 on their site, which is likely what all the confusion was, assuming the guys I dealt with even knew what size they were after.
    Something else odd, the new optional turf tire Galaxy R3 radials are actually called out by their metric size. Maybe thats the direction they are all trying to go with tire sizes now to sort of standardize the whole tire industry.
    Ive never cared much for the metric measurements. I dont want to have to involve math to figure out how tall a tire is...lol!
    Kinda goes like this: "Lets see, tread width is 305mm, sidewall is 70% of that, fits a 16.5" wheel, convert to inches, carry the...oh the heck with it!"
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements