Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Backup camera

1. Top | #1
    arm
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks

Backup camera

I'm thinking of installing a backup camera on one of my tractors. Seems my neck can no longer stand looking back when using the rear blade or the dirt scoop, old age is setting in I guess. Have any of you tried this?
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arm View Post
    I'm thinking of installing a backup camera on one of my tractors. Seems my neck can no longer stand looking back when using the rear blade or the dirt scoop, old age is setting in I guess. Have any of you tried this?
    Yes and took it off. Found the distorted view could not be trusted for me to use it. Sun had to be just right to see the screen I even shaded it. Maybe in a Cab no reflective light it will?? After I removed mine and put it on my truck for Wal-Mart people walking behind me. I used 2 - 3" x 7" bolt on mirrors to see the hitch and behind me. Then I only have to part way turn to see the hitch or just look up and see behind me thru the other one. My neck is also bad you learn to drive and operate with brail at times I can still see my blade to know it is back there working. You will just find you don't look much when not needed. I look to drive backward near things only
    JKR, jdforever and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    arm
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Yes and took it off. Found the distorted view could not be trusted for me to use it. Sun had to be just right to see the screen I even shaded it. Maybe in a Cab no reflective light it will?? After I removed mine and put it on my truck for Wal-Mart people walking behind me. I used 2 - 3" x 7" bolt on mirrors to see the hitch and behind me. Then I only have to part way turn to see the hitch or just look up and see behind me thru the other one. My neck is also bad you learn to drive and operate with brail at times I can still see my blade to know it is back there working. You will just find you don't look much when not needed. I look to drive backward near things only
    Thank you for the reply. I understand what you wrote about sun washing out the screen. I was thinking mirrors but, it would be difficult to install on a 750 tractor, then is the problem of shake in viewing them. Do you have a lot of shake in the mirror?
    Getting old is not easy....
    mjncad and jdforever like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    I have the cab with outside mirrors on both sides. Absolutely necessary. The mirrors allow me to see what is necessary behind me. I rarely turn around to see behind me any more.

Dave
    JKR, jdforever, hemi225 and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My Mirrors are solid mount and don't shake. May shake a little on a bad road but then so would the camera. You have to get used to mirrors.
    jdforever likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 973 Posts
    Been looking to put a 4 camera wireless system on my tractor, 9" monitor.

One on front bumper for loader bucket/forks view, one on top of cab front view, one on back of cab (rearview) and basically
    extra for future use.

Lots of systems out there, very spotty reviews on dependability.

Have yet to find what I would call a quality system.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:50 PM
    Thanks
    Haven't found the backup camera to be a suitable substitute for turning around and looking. Tried an inexpensive one on my 855 for about an hour before removing it. I had the camera and monitor mounted steady enough but the field of view didn't give me proper depth perception. One problem is they all have a wide field of view. If you could find one with a normal field of view and connect it to a 12" or larger monitor it might work okay.

I recently put a backup camera and 7" monitor in my truck also. The only time I use it is for hooking up the trailer in the shade.
    mjncad and Old Cajun like this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arm View Post
    Yes and I LOVE it......But I also have a cab and will tell you I use the camera 99% of the time when its dark out and the rear mirrors when it's light.

If you have a cab, you will love it in my opinion as long as you get a good camera with a clear resolution. I used a wireless one and it's been excellent.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Yes and I LOVE it......But I also have a cab and will tell you I use the camera 99% of the time when its dark out and the rear mirrors when it's light.

If you have a cab, you will love it in my opinion as long as you get a good camera with a clear resolution. I used a wireless one and it's been excellent.
    When the sun went down my camera worked great too but when the sun was up I could not see the monitor very well. At dusk and night time it worked great but I plow most snow in daylight so it did not help me much. I made a 6 inch shade screen over it and the sun still knocked out the screen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0210.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	671054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0213.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	6.51 MB 
ID:	671056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0217.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.44 MB 
ID:	671058I tried everything to make it work in sunlight. I think a enclosed cab with the monitor mounted at the top of the cab out of the sun would help a lot. Boy at 70+ hours my tractor was nice and shinny still and no cab! I think it is time to give it a bath 2 years later!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, JKR and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Been looking to put a 4 camera wireless system on my tractor, 9" monitor.

One on front bumper for loader bucket/forks view, one on top of cab front view, one on back of cab (rearview) and basically
    extra for future use.

Lots of systems out there, very spotty reviews on dependability.

Have yet to find what I would call a quality system.
    It also depend whether you want to have a wired or wireless system. I see no need to run the coax for each camera as well as the wireless units I have function. There are a bunch of "low cost" systems out there which are low quality. I found several quality systems after extensive looking.

In one test of the system I am using, I was able to take the camera almost 100 feet from the monitor and the picture quality and signal were great. So, for someone who wants a camera on the rear of a trailer, etc. this system works fine. Plus my camera is rated for "extremely wet" operating environments and it has been put to the test and I have had no failures. I think it is Ip68 for the cameras.

How do you plan to "display" these multiple images, in a quad form or on demand per camera? I would suggest on demand or the image size isn't as helpful as it can be.

Also, having used a camera for well over a year for plowing, rear mowing, etc. I have trouble seeing the benefit of a camera on the roof looking forward which basically shares the same view as the operator. It's hard to imagine what might be different about that perspective which would actually be helpful. I do run forward facing camera's (two of them) when plowing snow so if anyone ever claimed I hit a garage door or damaged something, I have recorded images of all the plowing in files by date on the computer. But that camera use is more about the image being reproduced for broadcast or viewing by others, verses the vehicle camera for operator benefit.

For the "Go Pro" camera's, I have one left and one on the right. One thing to keep in mind about those type of camera placements is if you are mounting them inside the cab, you need to place them where the glass is cleared by the wiper, or every image you have on file is looking through a "water spot" covered windshield view as the camera mount on the right was just below the front wiper's reach. Doesn't sound like a big deal but having water spots all over the camera image diminishes the viewing enjoyment of the plowing activity.

Only once in over 200 hours of plowing snow have I had to stop and wipe off the camera lens. I backed into a pine tree branch covered with snow and it buried the monitor on top of the cab. Once I wiped away the small lens, everything was back to normal. The system camera is also surprisingly tolerant of temps without any fogging, etc.

Another area where the camera is incredibly helpful is when driving or backing into a building during the bright daylight. The image in the camera is far better than what you can see in the mirrors and it's even superior to what you can see looking yourself, as the system adjusts the light very efficiently. It looks like the image inside the building it lit its so clear and everything visible. Actually, its pretty amazing the image you can see with or without extra lights, etc.

Use Portable cameras to test permanent camera mounting locations and views.
    The Go Pro camera's are actually very helpful in determining your permanent cab monitor camera locations. The Go Pro knock off units are cheap, you can get a decent camera with various mounts and a couple of batteries, charger, etc. for around $40 on Amazon. Then, simply mount the temporary mounts in different locations and record the use of your operation. You will quickly see which angles and views are helpful to you and which are not. It's very easy to suction cup the Go Pro camera and then activate it (you can use the blue tooth remote or even your flip phone.....well, maybe smart phone anyways....) and use your tractor. See if the image it records and what you can see is helpful and what you want in your permanent camera mounting locations.

Just always use a couple of zip ties as safety tethers for the camera and mount in case you knock the camera off or it separates from the mount. That way the safety tether will permit the camera to be recovered and used another day. I HIGHLY suggest the low cost Go Pro knock off camera approach for testing the permanent camera locations. You can't watch the Go Pro camera image live unless you have the app on your smart phone, but you can replay the video on your computer, etc to see if the camera location is a good one for your cab camera.

Helpful and Useful Images in the Cab Camera
    From extensive use, I find its ideal for easily seeing what's behind you and for backing and attaching to implements, etc. Personally, I could see having a camera on the rear looking right down at the hitch area and also having a camera on the rear which looks out beyond the hitch area. Those are two very helpful and often used perspectives.

It also might be helpful to have a camera out front which shows the bucket angle and surface contact and also for picking up items or lifting things with pallet forks, etc. I can see it either centered on the hood protector or off the corner of the hood protector, etc. That way it can see down directly in front of the tractor where you can't see from the operators seat.

Much of the need depends upon the machine's use. I find it's very handy to watch the rear 3 point mower in the camera with the full rear view and not have to keep turning sideways to see it. You can't really see the mower in the mirrors the way you can with the camera. Also, when you have the loader on and a rear implement, it allows you to keep an eye on the swinging back hoe boom and the loader bucket when backing or positioning into a tight area, without having to keep swiveling the head side to side or front to rear.

I have knocked my monitor around and it has even been dropped on the cement floor several times and it still continues working just fine. I did have a funny thing occur the other day. The first driveway I was plowing has a "S" driveway from the road and also two complete "0" driveway circles, all tied together. Backing when plowing is complex because everything is curved on the driveway.

I started to back and then looked and I was too far to the left. Then I was too far the other way, I thought "What the heck is going on"? Then I noticed in the rear camera monitor that my view had "flipped" and the image in the monitor was backwards to what it actually is. I pushed the control button three times and the image rotated and then was correctly oriented again. The reason I noticed it was I have two different shovels on the rear carry all and I noticed they were switched in location on the image, verses their actual location. I accidentally changed the orientation by bumping the button, it was easy to "fix" but sure tricky to back up when everything is reversed.....
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Old Cajun (02-08-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast