Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Selecting a John Deere Dealer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

Selecting a John Deere Dealer

Hi,

I've spent the last few months considering the purchase of a JD Tractor and have pretty much selected a 4052R. I've been talking and Emailing two different JD Dealers and cost wise they are pretty close with their quotes. So I was wondering what criteria did you use when selecting your JD Dealer? I've never dealt with either dealer before so as far as that goes it's a wash. The only real difference is one dealer will order direct from the factory involving a waiting period (that doesn't bother me) while the other dealer has one sitting on a lot in another state that he will transfer over to his location for me.

Just wondering how you might proceed if you were in my shoes?

FredSG
    Gizmo2, JD4044M and 2018JD like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Is one dealer closer to you than the other?

If neither dealer has a publicly known word of mouth reputation (good or bad) then I would visit each and just have a look around. A lot of dealers will be willing to give you a walk-around if you are thinking of making a purchase from them.

• How friendly do they seem overall?
    • Which dealer seems to cater more to compact tractor customers opposed to large Ag customers?
    • Is one dealer larger than the other? Larger can mean more locations and better access to parts and implements.
    • Which has a nicer parts department?
    • Which has a cleaner and more fully equipped service department?

I'm sure there may be other things to consider.
    JD4044M, Toughsox and Spectre like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    Fred,

I'm in a bit of reverse situation now as my dealer just gave up his franchise here in Savannah, GA. So I need to use another dealer that has about 15 other stores, Not too happy about that, but what am I to do.

Now to your situation and how I handled my purchase. I ordered it. That way I got exactly what I wanted and knew it hadn't been sitting around for a year in the sun, snow and or rain. Advantages and disadvantages to each. With the "dealer trade" you can have your tractor in a couple days or weeks. If you order it, you could wait 6-8 weeks, but you will have a brand spanking new, hardly anyone touched it, new tractor smell, tractor. You will also get "exactly" the options you want. That was important to me, as I ordered the cab as well. Plus my dealer told me that the people that do have cabbed units don't like to give them up because they like to keep them in their stock in case someone wants one.

But I guess it comes down to their service department, parts department and how they have treated you thus far. They going to be around in 10 years. How far are the away from you if you do need filters or parts?

Jeff
    JD4044M likes this.
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't make a choice between Deere dealers, I made a choice between Deere and everyone else. The Deere dealership is 5 miles from my house, everyone else is 50+ miles from my house. I did visit the dealerships in person, talk to sales people, observe their parts counters in action, look at their clientele based off of what they had on the yard. Deere, Kubota and New Holland all were professional, well organized, clean, plenty of stock and all were mostly focused on agriculture. Being most things were similar I chose Deere mostly because they were close.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks

A vs. B

Don't know where you live...but if it is a choice between Ag-Pro and somebody else, pick sombody else.
    JD4044M likes this.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Depending upon the specific model your are seeking, we have seen 6 to 8 weeks turn into 6 to 8 months. Ask GTT member Old Cajun about this.......

Personally, I would visit the dealers and talk to them. Meet the sales people in person, check out the store, talk to the service manager, find out how your tractor's services will be met. Take a look at the stores overall, get an impression for how the business is managed. Are they both clean and organized (very likely)? Does one of the dealers handle other brands that you either want or need or perhaps already own?

If both dealers seem much the same, then it's a matter of the actual time to get the machine. If you have an immediate need, that being within the next 2 to 3 months, perhaps getting a tractor which is in inventory isn't that big of a deal to you. To some, its crucial to get a brand new off the truck tractor. To others, it could be the tractor is a month or two old. Ask the build date on the existing machine and make sure its the latest model, etc. If not, perhaps the deal they offer could make it worthwhile to you. Some customers are very concerned about this, others are not, only you know if it's important to you.

I would think that if you visited both dealers, one would be your preference for some reason, whether it's personalities or just easier to get to from your house. If you have two really good dealers from which to choose, consider yourself lucky as that's not always the case.

More and more dealers are combining into multiple store locations. The dealer I deal with went from being a small local dealer that was just a "residential dealer" for only home owner equipment and tractor's smaller than 35hp to being one of a 15 store group. Actually, the dealer now has much more inventory, significantly more staff members and overall it's been a wonderful improvement for me. So, dealers merging and changes taking place can often improve the customer experience, if the customers just give the new dealers a chance.

Visit them both and meet with them and I would be very surprised if one isn't preferred over the other for reasons which matter to you. Don't be surprised if the two stores aren't under one ownership umbrella organization in the future. That's a common trend as well. Good luck with your purchase transaction.
    JD4044M and Spectre like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks
    Since you say the wait is not a problem I would definitely go for ordering the tractor with everything you want from the factory so that nothing has to be dealer-installed. That way you can get exactly what you want, plus getting one that hasn't set out in the weather for who knows how long, and minimize the possibility of the dealer screwing something up. Every single problem I have had with mine has been due to the dealer. I don't trust them to install or work on anything anymore.

In my case the dealers here are all primarily big-AG dealers and have no one really knowledgeable about the small tractors. Also doesn't much matter about which dealer you choose here, every one within driving distance belongs to the same chain.

Good luck with whichever you decide.
    JD4044M likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,

Appreciate the opinions . . . decisions, decisions, decisions

FredSG
    JD4044M and 2018JD like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FredSG For This Useful Post:

2018JD†(02-15-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredSG View Post
    Hi,

I've spent the last few months considering the purchase of a JD Tractor and have pretty much selected a 4052R. I've been talking and Emailing two different JD Dealers and cost wise they are pretty close with their quotes. So I was wondering what criteria did you use when selecting your JD Dealer? I've never dealt with either dealer before so as far as that goes it's a wash. The only real difference is one dealer will order direct from the factory involving a waiting period (that doesn't bother me) while the other dealer has one sitting on a lot in another state that he will transfer over to his location for me.

Just wondering how you might proceed if you were in my shoes?

FredSG
    Everything SulleyBear has written is true. If the tractor sitting in another state already has the options you want, go for it. I know for a fact it's better to have a loader from the factory(cheaper by a good bit)as opposed to dealer install. If all things are equal after visiting both dealers, if they are still a wash, I'd go with the bigger dealer as they have more "Suck" with the factory when they need stuff to happen.

You could also invite the owners of both dealers to lunch and right in the middle of it ask them why you should buy from them. You will learn a lot in the first 2 minutes.

Cheers & Good Luck
    JD4044M likes this.
    Chris

2019 4052R/Cab, iMatch QH, 440R Loader w/BW16358 Bucket(Got Loops) , Frontier RB5072 Blade, Frontier LP1184 Land Plane, Front moveable fenders, Rear fender extensions, Dual Exterior mirrors,Ballast Box BW15073, Dual rear work lights(LVB24853), JD Hammerstrap, R2 4" Edge Tamers, (coming soon: Weather radar,FLIR,HUD, Chocolate bar & "Manpon" dispensers)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Dr. View Post
    Fred,

I'm in a bit of reverse situation now as my dealer just gave up his franchise here in Savannah, GA. So I need to use another dealer that has about 15 other stores, Not too happy about that, but what am I to do.

But I guess it comes down to their service department, parts department and how they have treated you thus far. They going to be around in 10 years. How far are the away from you if you do need filters or parts?

Jeff
    Jeff,

I have a pretty good idea which dealer you are looking to switch to by your description (Iím guessing Blanchard). I bought my tractor from their dealership in Waynesboro and I was treated very well not only with the purchase, but on a repair as well. I had only used the tractor a few hours and a warning light came up. I called them and they said to bring it back. They checked it and found that it was a sensor that they had replaced within the past year for the previous owner and it was covered under warranty. There is no way I would have known this if they hadnít told me and could have easily charged me. I will do all of my business with them after this. My buddy took his newly acquired used 5001 in for some TLC, and they did him right too. I canít say enough about them. I hope this helps your decision.
    mark02tj likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast