Green Tractor Talk banner

Tractor Insurance Issues - Canada

10K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Skooter 
#1 ·
I was all prepared in January to purchase my new 1025R after spending hours researching and reading hundreds of threads here to help me decide exactly what I wanted/needed. The one issue I did not envision having was insuring the tractor, which has put my purchase on hold until I can find a solution, which I'm hoping one of my Canadian brethren might be able to help with.

I live in Alberta, where my house is located. I recently bought 2.5 acres of raw land in B.C., the province next door. Our plan is to retire in 3 years and then build our house on this property and move. In the mean time, I wanted to buy the tractor and start doing some land work and keeping the grass cut down. Simple enough, or so I thought. In a lot of instances, these compact tractors are insured under a person's home owner's policy. As my home is in one province and the tractor will be stored and used in another province, my insurance company, as well as 3 or 4 others that I have checked with, won't extend insurance to another province. And B.C. insurance companies won't give me a home insurance policy because there is no home there yet. Hopefully this makes sense so far. Also, I can't get farm tractor insurance through any of these companies because I don't have a farming purpose or income. Also, there are insurance companies that specialize in these exact scenarios, insuring an "acreage" tractor, but they are all in Eastern Canada and can't help me out West.

So, I do have a couple of options that don't appeal to me - 1. Buy the tractor and don't insure it and keep my fingers crossed for 3 years until I build my house and can then get insurance. 2. Buy a Kubota because they offer their own insurance

My objections to my options - 1. I'm not that big of a risk taker to spend $27K and then hope nothing happens. 2. I am sure that the Kubota would do everything I wanted and is a very good tractor, there are a couple of things that I like better about JD and, in the end, JD is my personal preference

Does anyone have any suggestions or options for me to try so I can become a real live SCUT owner?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have found myself in a similar situation. I have land on the western side of NC, but no house there yet. I have tried to get insurance to cover the land and everything on it, but I have been unable to find an insurer. The tractor would be covered under my homeowner's policy for my house in eastern NC.

But, in the US, JD does offer insurance to make sure it is covered as long as it is being paid off. I bought that, figuring when I pay it off, I'll figure out how to proceed then. The JD insurance is not available in Canada?

Reactions: BigJim55 and Marlin
#4 ·
Speaking as a retired agent, I've seen this situation frequently. Some companies will consider your equipment as personal property if it is used to maintain your own premises. This is for the normal perils that contents offer which generally doesn't include overturn or collision. Most policies will also exclude liability away from premises and any use of the equipment for business or income purposes. You might get an inland marine floater added to your homeowners which generally includes the depreciated value coverage. However it normally picks up collision or overturn. There is a specific per $100 premium. As the John Deere policy this may be based on the loan balance, not really sure without seeing the language. Maybe you can get your agent to add the other property liability and then add a floater. I can assure you that leaving an unattended tractor at a remote location is inviting a loss. I would recommend trailering it back and forth. I would check with my agent and or company as I would feel there are options..

#5 ·
Here is a insurance company In Canada That Might Insure You tractor In another Province Called CHUBB Chubb Canada
I use them In the states to Insure some Garden tractors that are Not stored on My residential Property But there stored In what they Call a Car condo Home | Iron Gate Motor Condos down hear in the states which is considered commercial Property so it Might be worth Looking Into I linked the Canadian website :bigthumb:

#7 ·
Hi, I got mine through TD Bank. I don't know if they can help you but it's worth the time to call and find out. I do agree with the member who suggested that you trailer the machine. I think you are just asking to make a claim if you leave it unattended for any length of time. As a last resort, see if they will insure the tractor if you can leave it at a neightbor's barn. Good Luck.

Reactions: BigJim55
#9 ·
I will give TD Bank a call. Thank you for the suggestion

As for trailering it. It is an 8 hour drive, one way, and to trailer it every time just isn't an option. Also, I should have added, I am building a 12 x 20 shed for it to reside in, so it will be protected from the elements and will provide some security

#8 ·
Well I have 18 acres 2.5 hrs west Of Me It does Have a shed On it with Power and Pluming. I use to leave a Tractor there Locked Up In it. That is One thing I would suggest If Your Going to leave it there Build a storage Building On the Property or even Buy or Rent a Conex Box I.e Shipping container. I would not leave the Tractor Unprotected Then I do agree with NotYourGrandfathersDeere You are asking for trouble. I had a friend about 35 years ago Get his Ford 2000 stolen of a job site that he was Landscaping they never did recover the tractor:bigthumb:

#11 ·
New Brunswick here.

Your other question is do you plan to license your tractor so that you can use it on public roads?

I did not want to license it so I had my insurance company add a rider to my house insurance to include the tractor and all of the accessories. I am insured everywhere except if I were to drive it on the road. I am insured when trailering it to someone else's property.

Also I am not covered if I am using it for commercial (paid for) work.

My insurance covers liability, theft, fire, vandalism etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: BigJim55
#16 ·
As mentioned, no I am not covered under my homeowners policy because of 2 different provinces in play here. And I am not building a house for 2-3 years

Do you know which companies, in Western Canada, offer commercial policies for SCUTs? I know there are a number in the east but have not found any in the west yet

#19 ·
Update

Just wanted to give those that followed this an update on my insurance issue. Between my wife and I we contacted 9 or 10 different insurance companies and the best that I got was one company willing to insure the tractor for damage but not theft or burglary, which really isn't a solution.

So it appears that I will be purchasing a Kubota 2380BX, which I am positive will be able to do everything I need and will make me very happy! Thank you to everyone that gave me suggestions to try, I really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm still a big fan of greentractortalk and will continue to be a daily reader and occasional poster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.