Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Mouse proofing

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks

Mouse proofing

Saw an ad for this product that (allegedly) helps keep mice out of equipment. They have some cool stuff on their site, and the product is a cool concept. I guess time will tell how well it works.

Mouse Blocker Protecting your vehicle

Robnik likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Saw an ad for this product that (allegedly) helps keep mice out of equipment. They have some cool stuff on their site, and the product is a cool concept. I guess time will tell how well it works.

Mouse Blocker Protecting your vehicle
    I'm curious. Please post if you try it. I bought an ultrasonic system for an under-deck shed several years ago, since the science seemed sound. It was worthless. I also tried capsacin treatments on latticework that squirrels were chewing. That didn't work either (WD-40 did though, so I guess it must taste really bad.).
    Robnik likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. Top | #3
    SRG
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    I use scented dryer sheets, and moth balls. I tuck the dryer sheets up into the dash, and around the battery of the tractor and zero turn. I spread mothballs around the floor, and ground in the barn and shed. Have had a few local farmers tell me they use the same deterrents on, and around their machines.

Always smells so fresh
    Tomfive and Robnik like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    I use scented dryer sheets, and moth balls. I tuck the dryer sheets up into the dash, and around the battery of the tractor and zero turn. I spread mothballs around the floor, and ground in the barn and shed. Have had a few local farmers tell me they use the same deterrents on, and around their machines.

Always smells so fresh
    I've used the ultra sonic things, not the same as in OP's post, they didn't seem to make a difference.
    I use moth balls in confined spaces, like inside a cabinet that mice had decided to take up residence in.
    I use traps, bucket traps with peanut butter for bait.
    Those 2 things seem to do the best.

You have to keep at it, clean them out and some more will move in, its a never ending operation.
    mark02tj and Robnik like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Go here to find out all you need to know about mice traps

https://mousetrapmonday.com/category/mousetrap/

here is his testing of an ultra sonic one

https://mousetrapmonday.com/videos/t...dent-repeller/
    keane and Robnik like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Im always interested in anything that actually works to keep mice away.

I have the most luck with finding entry ways and closing them, along with outdoor bait stations and traps.
    I had mice move into the shed last year, and had not had issues there for several years prior. I tried Fresh Cab, which was the best smell type repellent I could find, and it did nothing. Traps inside the shed didnt work too well either, as they would eventually just avoid them.
    I ended up with a "walk the plank" type bucket trap, and it ended the problem in short order.
    Seems like any mouse that found its way into the shed, found its way into the bucket too.

This Spring Ill be taking the old T111 siding off and replacing it, along with adding a narrow aluminum flashing strip around the bottom to stop them from chewing through the siding.
    Also, for some reason they dont seem to like chewing on painted wood, or at least some dont.
    No matter though, once the siding is done, I have a few other things to do with the shed, including moving it a few feet, and once thats done, more bait stations/traps.

Between the mice getting into and destroying stuff, and chipmunks digging under concrete causing settling, and also getting into everything like the mice do, and the squirrels getting into engine compartments to hide nuts, and groundhogs, Id be fine if the rodents moved away...
    mark02tj, Robnik, goat704! and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks

Rodent Stopper

I've been using this Rodent Repellent spray since fall and haven't had a problem since. A rodent ate some of the fiber covering under the hood under the vent area. I bought the can at Tractor Supply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2379.JPG   IMG_2380.JPG  
    Chris
    2018 1025R TLB, (260b) 60d mmm, HF iMatch, PHD, rear blade, trailer mover, Ken's BoHs, Traveler LED rear and front work lights.
    2018 3046R w/FEL, HF iMatch, 60" Titan tiller, 60" Titan rotary cutter, pallet forks, rear blade, Ken's BoHs, trailer mover, Traveler LED lights.
    1994 F911 Lawnmower 72" deck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CG3315 For This Useful Post:

ChrisR (03-04-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Guess we've been fairly lucky. Seem to have the place fairly well mouse proofed to where they don't get in. We keep nearly a dozen baited traps, plus one of those diving boards into a bucket of water, in the garage. Haven't caught one since early February when it got cold and we shut the doors. January was so nice we left the doors open some in the daytime as it was warmer outside than in. Not very mouse-proof with the doors open. The bucket froze so it is out of the picture now.

I put rodent guards on the weather stripping at the bottoms of the overhead doors. Basically a piece of sheet metal that bends around the bottom 6 or 8 inches to keep the rodents from chewing thru the weather strip. That seemed to be the major thing that helped, along with plugging a couple of holes.

Sometimes I set baited traps outside. Good entertainment as the magpies empty the traps. They are pretty smart birds, but not so much that they'll re-bait and set the traps.
    mark02tj, keane, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    2032R classic, H130 Loader, 46 Backhoe, 54" Snowblower,
    214 (1978), 46 mower with powerflow bagger, 31 tiller, 37A snow thrower
    some other stuff

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    I use bait blocks in the little containers to keep the chickens out. Works OK, but not great. I also sit on a bucket and shoot them with .22 bird shot. Not very efficient, but entertaining enough.
    mark02tj, John R, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-28-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 110 volt ones in the shed, it doesn't work as far as I can tell, I still have mice in there.
    Robnik likes this.
    John

2016 JD 3046 R Cab, With 165 Loader / Power Angle Rear Blade / Brush Hog / Forks / Box Blade / and Tiller.

Previous tractors: 2002 JD 4310 E Hydro, 2006 Kubota 2350, Both gone to new homes.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast