Foam filled front tires and a front end loader. Have you done it?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB
  • 3 Post By theduke
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By theduke
  • 2 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Foam filled front tires and a front end loader. Have you done it?

1. Top | #1
    SRG
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks

Foam filled front tires and a front end loader. Have you done it?

Thinking about having my front tires filled, with the polyurethane product from Arnco. Local shop around here (Moore tire), does this process. I called to get some info, and was quoted $334.76 out the door, for mounting two tires, two tubes, and 75lbs of fill for each front tire (7-14's).
    The research I've done so far, has reviews all over. Some love it, some hate it, some are indifferent. I like that they use tubes, so it's easier to reverse, if I chose.
    If you've done this, have you noticed any extra wear and tear on the front axle components, and or steering components? That's my biggest concern I'd say. I'm not worried about ride quality, since I rarely road the machine. I'm mainly after the extra stability (added weight, and way less tire squish) when using the FEL, and protecting from a blow out while using it.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Thinking about having my front tires filled, with the polyurethane product from Arnco. Local shop around here (Moore tire), does this process. I called to get some info, and was quoted $334.76 out the door, for mounting two tires, two tubes, and 75lbs of fill for each front tire (7-14's).
    The research I've done so far, has reviews all over. Some love it, some hate it, some are indifferent. I like that they use tubes, so it's easier to reverse, if I chose.
    If you've done this, have you noticed any extra wear and tear on the front axle components, and or steering components? That's my biggest concern I'd say. I'm not worried about ride quality, since I rarely road the machine. I'm mainly after the extra stability (added weight, and way less tire squish) when using the FEL, and protecting from a blow out while using it.
    With a tube or not, you will have to cut the tire off I would think. Not my idea of a good time. Don't know if I would ever do that. Maybe on an old wheel barrow tire I'd never change... but not on my tractor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    goat704! and SRG like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    My first 955 had Foam filled fronts.
    They do squish a little which is how I discovered they were foam filled. Tried to add air and realized there was no valve core.
    They are AG tires and were /are worn on the outside edges pretty good.
    Looked like they had been run on pavement which makes sense as both my 955's were rental units.

I'd still run them but prefer the R4's with a bigger footprint.

They did tend to sink a bit but only because they are narrower.

Will likely never use my AG tire set again as My ground is steep and I like the low profile..............

On the other hand...I get lots of sideslip with the R4's that didn't happen with the AG's

Given the cost of a couple flats ....having fluid in a 4 tires....I'd foam fill from the start .

Just bought 2 new fronts about the time I joined here ...couple years ago.
    Had it not been a week wait to get it done I would have but this group of JD fanatics made me want to get busy that day.

Foam gets a A from me.....any future flats will get it.

Still running original Rear tires from 96 or less..tons of life left..I think my new fronts are titan or dico or whoever goodyear sold the mold to...probly mixed that all up but I did finally get the original Correct size OEM R4 fronts...pita

Old age ....Original front R4's were Dico...Titan bought the molds.

Original AG fronts were goodyear...Bought Korean ....and the cracked within a year . Still have them They suck.

Apparently I have 3 complete sets of tires for my remaining 955.

I'm good for Life
    Last edited by theduke; 03-08-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    rtgt, Herminator and SRG like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    SRG
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    With a tube or not, you will have to cut the tire off I would think. Not my idea of a good time. Don't know if I would ever do that. Maybe on an old wheel barrow tire I'd never change... but not on my tractor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Point taken. I guess I was under the impression that since they deal in installing the stuff, that they'd deal in dealing with it, when that time came. I did not ask them about that tho, and something I will keep in mind and ask, when i'm on the phone again.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Good sealant

I'd be much more likely to treat my tires with a sealant like Liquitube than foam. It would cost less and the tire can be dismounted without anything special done to it. It won't totally prevent a blowout as you can always pop a tire with a heavy load and a sharp object but regular Liquitube will seal up to 3/4" in industrial tires. The Extreme version will seal even larger punctures and you can get a version to use with ballasted tires. LiquiTube Tire Sealant - Home Watch the video- I cringe every time the tire goes over the nail board.

Fair notice- I work for a company that sells Liquitube but it's widely available elsewhere, direct from the company, through Amazon, from Kubota dealers etc. It is a good product but there are others on the market that also work.

I'm not knocking foam- it has it's uses but for a tractor I'd go another way. Before we switched to solid tires for our batwing, I might have looked at foam tires for them. Now we have tires built up out of rubber/fabric flaps. No problems with flats but I wouldn't want to ride on them.

Treefarmer
    mark02tj likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    SRG
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    My first 955 had Foam filled fronts.
    They do squish a little which is how I discovered they were foam filled. Tried to add air and realized there was no valve core.
    They are AG tires and were /are worn on the outside edges pretty good.
    Looked like they had been run on pavement which makes sense as both my 955's were rental units.

I'd still run them but prefer the R4's with a bigger footprint.

They did tend to sink a bit but only because they are narrower.

Will likely never use my AG tire set again as My ground is steep and I like the low profile..............

On the other hand...I get lots of sideslip with the R4's that didn't happen with the AG's

Given the cost of a couple flats ....having fluid in a 4 tires....I'd foam fill from the start .

Just bought 2 new fronts about the time I joined here ...couple years ago.
    Had it not been a week wait to get it done I would have but this group of JD fanatics made me want to get busy that day.

Foam gets a A from me.....any future flats will get it.

Still running original Rear tires from 96 or less..tons of life left..I think my new fronts are titan or dico or whoever goodyear sold the mold to...probly mixed that all up but I did finally get the original Correct size OEM R4 fronts...pita

Old age ....Original front R4's were Dico...Titan bought the molds.

Original AG fronts were goodyear...Bought Korean ....and the cracked within a year . Still have them They suck.

Apparently I have 3 complete sets of tires for my remaining 955.

I'm good for Life
    Good to hear a first hand account. Thanks. What size are the tires you have, that are filled? Cracking of the outside of a pair of Titans, is the other reason I'm leaning towards foaming them. No air, no blow out.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'd be much more likely to treat my tires with a sealant like Liquitube than foam. It would cost less and the tire can be dismounted without anything special done to it. It won't totally prevent a blowout as you can always pop a tire with a heavy load and a sharp object but regular Liquitube will seal up to 3/4" in industrial tires. The Extreme version will seal even larger punctures and you can get a version to use with ballasted tires. LiquiTube Tire Sealant - Home Watch the video- I cringe every time the tire goes over the nail board.

Fair notice- I work for a company that sells Liquitube but it's widely available elsewhere, direct from the company, through Amazon, from Kubota dealers etc. It is a good product but there are others on the market that also work.

I'm not knocking foam- it has it's uses but for a tractor I'd go another way. Before we switched to solid tires for our batwing, I might have looked at foam tires for them. Now we have tires built up out of rubber/fabric flaps. No problems with flats but I wouldn't want to ride on them.

Treefarmer
    Watched the video..This stuff looks impressive.

I could use that on my Kubota RTV Front tires that are leaking through the sidewalls...BUT..I have them filled with Beet juice
    to keep the frontend on the ground( long story short I had a reverse rollover event)
    So how can I use your product and still have the weight?
    Is there a way?
    Tires still look like new but evidently are comprimized. The rears just leak air and at a much faster rate.
    Yes I could tube them but You have my interest now.

Unrelated but back on topic:

BTW..As a benifit and to some that may not know. I was shocked when I pulled the first tiny tire off the front and dropped a....They are equally as heavy as liquid filled. I have no clue whats in mine and perhaps there are several options..IDK

My Foam filled tires are extremly heavy..Don't let the word foam make you think marshmellows and unicorns.
    Last edited by theduke; 03-08-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

10. Top | #8
    SRG
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah this isn't foam like in a can, or memory foam mattress. It's dense polyurethane. They guy said a single wheel and tire combo in my size (7-14), would weigh right around 100lbs. Which is more than the 35" wheel and tire combo weighs on my Jeep. That's why my concern was with front axle, and steering components working harder than they have to, with that extra weight.

Google: Arnco foam fill.
    Last edited by SRG; 03-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Good to hear a first hand account. Thanks. What size are the tires you have, that are filled? Cracking of the outside of a pair of Titans, is the other reason I'm leaning towards foaming them. No air, no blow out.

23x 8.50 x 12 are my R4's...AG's are narrower by a couple inches.

The AG's are my filled set...exact size..not sure . That set of tires is down at the other barn.

Had I caught the issue sooner I could have foamed the originals . And been cash ahead.
    One side split the sidewall...patched and tubed it..then got hung up in a metal culvert with the other.
    You can guess the rest.

Previously had mowed next to a metal fence post that wasn't seated deep enough. The pointy spade tip poked a hole.
    Picked up a nail on another occasion.

Add up the cost of the flats tubes Ballast ( I run all 4 loaded)

Easily would be way more money ahead to have filled them from the start with foam.

Now I'm in the same boat with my new tires as Time was an issue so I skipped it.
    They wouldof had to be sent out...and the tire shop is an hour away...didn't want to wait a week and should have
    Last edited by theduke; 03-08-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Sealant in ballasted tires

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Watched the video..This stuff looks impressive.

I could use that on my Kubota RTV Front tires that are leaking through the sidewalls...BUT..I have them filled with Beet juice
    to keep the frontend on the ground( long story short I had a reverse rollover event)
    So how can I use your product and still have the weight?

Is there a way?
    Tires still look like new but evidently are compromised. The rears just leak air and at a much faster rate.
    Yes I could tube them but You have my interest now.

They make a formulation for use with any liquid ballast. The interesting thing is that if you wear out a tire and need to replace it, you can just pump out the liquid ballast and sealant into a clean storage container, change your tire and pump the ballast and sealant into the new tire. Ballast Sealant Archives - Liquitube

I've used the regular sealant and we've sold a lot of it. Knock on wood, we've yet to have a customer tell us it didn't perform as advertised. In most cases, they will buy a gallon or two for a particular use. They try the product and the next time we see them, they want a 5 gallon bucket or larger quantity. I"m sure that somebody, sometime will complain about the product but so far all the comments have been positive. The only negative that I've heard more than once is a customer saying, "I wish I'd known about this stuff before now."

Treefarmer
    mark02tj and theduke like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (03-09-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements