Negotiating at dealer for better price?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Negotiating at dealer for better price?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks

Negotiating at dealer for better price?

Hey all, I am currently buying a few attachments, weights, quick hitch all at the same time. Is negotiating a better price when bundling multiple items together reasonable? How firm are the prices you are quoted by dealers, and what experience do you all have in getting a better price? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    I can't speak for what your dealer's policy is, but here's how my dealer seems to handle things.

A new machine and any attachments purchased with the machine through the sales department are discountable.
    Large attachments (blowers, mowers, box blades, etc., purchased through sales may be discountable.
    Smaller attachments, such as Quick Hitches and weights purchased separate from a machine are purchased through the parts department and are generally not discounted unless you have arrangements to purchase parts at a discount.

Where are you located and what kind of a machine do you have? Your machine information can be put in your signature and your location under your avatar. Add Your Location. This helps us help you.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and JustinHEMI like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    I can't speak for what your dealer's policy is, but here's how my dealer seems to handle things.

A new machine and any attachments purchased with the machine through the sales department are discountable.
    Large attachments (blowers, mowers, box blades, etc., purchased through sales may be discountable.
    Smaller attachments, such as Quick Hitches and weights purchased separate from a machine are purchased through the parts department and are generally not discounted unless you have arrangements to purchase parts at a discount.

Where are you located and what kind of a machine do you have? Your machine information can be put in your signature and your location under your avatar. Add Your Location. This helps us help you.
    I agree with this. Drive Green open houses are coming up soon. Google Deere Drive Green. If your local dealer is hosting one they may be offering discounts. A lot will do 10% Drive Green discount.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    2001 4300 SyncReverser 430 Loader/48 Backhoe
    Walker MC20 Zero Turn

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post

This echos my experience.
    OxPath likes this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    I also agree with OxPath's statement.

Timvolm09, I would ask how much business have you done with your dealership? Discounts IMO are directly related to consumer/dealer relationship, not a one time spending spree.
    I seem to get discounts on almost anything, sometimes even without asking for them. I've been doing business with my dealer (same owner) since 1988 and I've purchased a lot of stuff from them.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    Good way to save money on attachments is to state you will do any assembly yourself. Saved $150 on my HLA snow pusher.
    As the salesmen said, as soon as the shop touches it, $$$$.
    Gizmo2, OxPath and Dr Maphesto like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Just bought tractor and added a few small things. Oxpath’s statement is consistent with my experience.

Sales handles anything big - straight forward here’s your price with discount pricing.

Small stuff, sales guy talked to parts manager. In the end just asked for and received a couple of items tossed in versus discount. Easier to do it that way and the “free” items equaled around 15% of what I bought in parts. I felt that was fair - never hurts to ask.
    Gizmo2 and OxPath like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    On top of what’s stated above it is dealer specific.

Some discount everything and won’t negotiate, some charge over msrp and won’t negotiate. Some negotiate everything, some only negotiate on offseason in stock items. Some only negotiate with customers they like.

I suggest talking to your dealer over looking for better advice here, nobody has a magic bullet, and even at the same dealer different customers get different treatment.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, OxPath and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    It sucks to pay too much, but it's far worse to pay too little. You just might get what you pay for.
    I'm not talking about the actual items that you are buying, I'm referring to your relationship with your dealer.

Do you want to be that guy that when you walk in, everyone is suddenly doing something else to avoid having to interact with you?
    Or would you rather ge that guy that they are happy to work with you?

I sell boats and have several customers that simply tell me what they want without even discussing price. And yes, when they want something, we are very responsive to their needs.
    One customer put it this way regarding the price for his new pontoon... "I'll leave the cookie jar open, take what you need, and a little more, just don't empty it."
    That kind of trust is something only an idiot would abuse.

My point is that there are things that are far more important than a few extra dollars in your pocket.

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,288 Times in 2,580 Posts
    I support my local dealers. I try to keep my money as close as possible to my community. Now I don't want to get ripped, nobody does. So if you don't take care of me, we won't do business. I'd like to think I'm a responsible customer. It's a two way street. Treat me right, give me decent prices, and you'll have a loyal customer.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, arlen and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast