Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Another what tractor do I need?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks

Another what tractor do I need?

Hi total newbie here been poking around the site for a min and went to the JD dealership today to get some info...

Guess here's were I start I purchased 2.5 acres and so did the in laws they don't want to do any work so more like 5 acres for me to deal with. I have an exmark zero turn only 46" deck to handle the around the house stuff. So realistically the fronts will be handled by the exmark but the back 40 as I am going to call it needs the tractor. It was farm land so the terrain is very rutted. There is a small area of brush and large trees that I would like to clean up and reclaim. The driveways are all rock and about 150 ft in length with culverts and small drainage ditch in the front near the road.

So went to JD dealer set on getting a 2025R with a loader, box blade, and bush hog. But the salesman pretty much said I was wasting my money on the R as the only upgrade is lights and the seat? And also advised I didn't get the box blade as most ppl just use the bucket for that? He advised I step up and just get the 3 series. Not trying to bash him as he was a nice guy just was hoping for some more knowledge so I could make a good decision.

My plans with the tractor are to maintain driveways, maintain culvert, bush hog the lets say 3.5 total acres behind the house, one day I would like to get a tiler and till and seed this area, I would like to add a grapple at some point to reclaim the brush area, I would love to have the backhoe attachment at some point but don't need any of this stuff to start.

I am wanting to get this by the end of April so I can use the 0%.

he quoted me as follows all with loader they have a $500 incentive on the 2 series and 1000 on the 3 series so maybe that why he pushed me that way?
    2025R ~18700
    2032R ~23700
    3025E ~20000
    3032E ~21800

all have the i match hitch

they also had a $500 incentive on purchasing 2 implements but the other one has to be a frontier to get the 500 credit

Right now I am still thinking I just need the 2025R but I would like some other opinions also anything I should get added to the tractor while I can add it on the 0% like a 3rd hydraulic for the grapple? or attachment for backhoe?
    jdforever, Herminator and goat704! like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought a 2025r and think that would be perfect for what you need. When I bought mine the end loader and mid mount mower counted as two implements. You could add a set of forks for the second implement. A 3 series would seem pretty large for property that small.

I would like a box blade but just use my bucket for grading gravel. I keep looking for a used one cheap.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Well, your salesman is not very ambitious or smart, there is more to the R than lights on the fenders. Not to mention, the 2 series only comes in the R, so he is either trying to point you to the 1023E or a 3E. I would say you are looking a good tractor for your intended uses, even the 1 series could handle what you are wanting to do, but the 2025R would do it a little more comfortably. And, I really don't think you would need a 3 series for that amount of land.

fdmars, OxPath, jdforever and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

Another what tractor do I need?

2032R gives you a little more pto horsepower if you want to run a 5ft tiller or brush hog. My 2025R will run them but more pto hp is never a bad thing. And you get a little stronger loader. Any of them will work fine but I would definitely get the box blade or a land plane for the driveway. The bucket works but no comparison to how well one of those implements can smooth a rough driveway.
    I wish i would have added the rear scv for a hydraulic top link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wvdeere; 03-20-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I would say you are looking a good tractor for your intended uses, even the 1 series could handle what you are wanting to do, but the 2025R would do it a little more comfortably.
    ^^^^ This right here.

As I read through your description I figured you'd be looking at a 1-series. The 2025R is more than enough to handle everything you described. A 3-series (other than perhaps the 3025E) seems ridiculous for your needs to me.

And don't forget, your loader counts as an implement as far as incentives goes.
    Last edited by JimR; 03-20-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    For that description I’d do a 2025r, loader, bucket, forks, box blade, rear SCVs for hydraulic top and tilt (so worth it) and rotary cutter.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    fdmars, Doug, jdforever and 4 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamone View Post
    For that description I’d do a 2025r, loader, bucket, forks, box blade, rear SCVs for hydraulic top and tilt (so worth it) and rotary cutter.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    That would be all ya need! Nice setup.

-Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    I concur.

A 1 series would do all of that but I would look at any of the 2’s. I would rule out the 3’s.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Well - what you “need” could be as low as an older 8N realistically to just handle mowing and pulling a blade. Easily obtainable at around 3k.

Other newer used SCUTs are plenitiful and with loader obtainable in the 7-9k range.

What you WANT is a separate matter. Can a 1023/1025 do the same work as a 2025R - yes, and you’ll benefit by having a much newer and more versatile tractor. Of course going the new route gets you 0% financing - so if that’s your preference - a new Deere won’t depreciate greatly over 5 or 6 years.

Myself I went with a 2025R - based on your description I’d say that’s where you need to look to. A 1023/1025 is a great tractor - and the same drivetrain as the 2025. But what you gain is a stronger frame and higher ground clearance. If you had 5 acres of flat pasture to mow - a 1 series would be fine/ruts and rougher field the ground clearance will be needed.

A 3 series isn’t THAT much more than a 2025, but what you lose is the mid PTO, something I think would be useful once you finish clearing the ground. Mid Mount Mower (MMM) on a 2 series won’t come cheap later on, but will always be available used. The 1 series is the nicer mowing - but versatility wins out for me. 3 series now available in gear drive as well - where as 1 and 2 series is hydrostatic (automatic) only. User preference - I personally never owned a hydro tractor before my mower - but I like it.

Accessories - the $500 2 implement deal is nice, but how much are you really “saving”? Frontier is a good brand - well built but the markup above new is not a great deal to me. Better yet - plenty of used 5’ cutters (fine unless your mowing really heavy brush on a 1025/2025) - used 4’ Would be tougher - but new is out there at a savings if you can live without a color coordinated implement. Ditto box blade - why buy new or Frontier - build quality is fairly easy to judge looking at them - and used is out there. No moving parts - nothing to fail over time, why buy new aside from the financing.

Personally - I recommend the backhoe option if financed. Your looking around 90-100 a month, but resale it adds and gives you something you something not easily added in a couple of years or easily found used. Unlike a brush hog or box blade - this one is unit specifc - the hoe fits only select models/years and not a ton of used stuff to pick from.

2032R is a nice power upgrade, and again a heavier frame. 2038 is a 2032 with a turbo - lots of people are satisfied with them, personally I prefer non turbo - just an expensive piece to fail someday.

Your on the right path - just find a better salesperson. A lot don’t know what they are selling on CUT’s. For reference- I was mid 22s on a 2025 TLB - brush hog ran me $500, already had a blade but easy to price various models. No IHitch but again - plenty of options - saw as low as $69 recently but many reviews indicate you get what you pay for at that level. There is an alternative around $275 offered online by a reputable vendor that includes bushings and is well reviewed.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Oh yea, get pallet forks too.

My next purchase - been recommended multi times.

Grapple might be useful too - all depends on your budget and likes.
    Herminator likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast