Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should I get new tires?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-13-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

Should I get new tires?

I'd like the collective input of the board. I have a 2006 2305..this winter at different times the both front tires have gone flat, the rears have been fine with no leaks. The tractor has turff tires and is primarily used as a lawn mower.
    I need to do something as we get into moving season. There are three options....one of which I am ruling out.. Option 1- foam filling the tires (I'm ruling this out as I hate how foam filled tired ride.
    2) tubing the tires 3) replacing the tires.

I am leaning towards new tires. Or is there a case to tub them? I figure the tires are ~13 years old and replacing them is the path with least maintenance. If I do get new front tires does anyone have a brand to recommend? Should I stick with Carlisle's or risk with no name Chinese-ium brand tires?

I appreciate your feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    Did you try just putting air in the tires? Are the tires weather checked or have any other damage? I wouldn’t replace a lawn mower tire before it’s time.

If they were vehicle tires they would be long gone if I owned the tractor.
    jdforever likes this.
    2018 John Deere 1025r, Mauser cab, rear wiper, rear light, FEL, Piranah tooth bar, Heavy Hitch weight bar, 8 suitcase weights, 55 amp alternator, Kens hooks and seat springs, 54” MMM, 66” Loader mounted CTA plow, Artillian 3d function diverter kit. New Green equipment =less green in investments

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    My tractor is near the age of yours. Last year I developed a leaking tire. I took both fronts off and sprayed them down with soapy water. What I found were the entire sidewalls leaking in many places - weird. It was like they were leaking through the rubber with no weather checks or cracks.

Because of the severity and oddness of the leaks I opted to replace them. Bought them online at Walmart and delivered to store. I brought my wheels/tires in and they changed them both for $10 plus tax - great deal.

These won’t be your tire size or style - just for reference. They were Carlisle Trac Chief - exactly what I had.

Carlisle Trac Chief 23X8.50-12 C Tire - Walmart.com
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    My tractor is near the age of yours. Last year I developed a leaking tire. I took both fronts off and sprayed them down with soapy water. What I found were the entire sidewalls leaking in many places - weird. It was like they were leaking through the rubber with no weather checks or cracks.

Because of the severity and oddness of the leaks I opted to replace them. Bought them online at Walmart and delivered to store. I brought my wheels/tires in and they changed them both for $10 plus tax - great deal.

These won’t be your tire size or style - just for reference. They were Carlisle Trac Chief - exactly what I had.

Carlisle Trac Chief 23X8.50-12 C Tire - Walmart.com
    heck go this route for ur new tires ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^if i had known this a couple of yrs ago-i would went this way too. walley world always seem to amaze me
    jdforever, coaltrain and PJR832 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcj115 View Post
    I'd like the collective input of the board. I have a 2006 2305..this winter at different times the both front tires have gone flat, the rears have been fine with no leaks. The tractor has turff tires and is primarily used as a lawn mower.
    I need to do something as we get into moving season. There are three options....one of which I am ruling out.. Option 1- foam filling the tires (I'm ruling this out as I hate how foam filled tired ride.
    2) tubing the tires 3) replacing the tires.

I am leaning towards new tires. Or is there a case to tub them? I figure the tires are ~13 years old and replacing them is the path with least maintenance. If I do get new front tires does anyone have a brand to recommend? Should I stick with Carlisle's or risk with no name Chinese-ium brand tires?

I appreciate your feedback.
    Depends how much money you want to spend. My rule of thumb is if the tread is worn down then i replace the tires, but if tread is good i put in tubes and you're good for another ten years or so. Kent
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Kent

JD1025R and 455
    120R loader with Kens Bolt on hooks and Edge tammers
    Wheel weights
    60D auto connect MMM
    JD 25 gal tow behind sprayer
    JD tow behind fertilizer spreader
    Home made pallet forks
    Home made 3 pt A frame with suitcase weight bracket and trailer hitch
    48 inch Taylor Way tiller
    Cub Cadet s: 1772,1872, 1806, 1050, 128, 100,and Original 33914.
    Big tractors: IH 1066 with 2350 loader, Farmall M, Universal or Long 350.
    Chainsaws: Husqvarna 2-XP357's, XP254,and a 51

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Thanks
    real question in my mind is...why are they leaking.......old age? ....punctures? ......if its punctures new tires will only be marginally better and putting in a sealant might be a better option......if its old age problems then replace them or tube them its your call
    BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Sealant

[QUOTE=ttazzman;3218632]real question in my mind is...why are they leaking.......old age? ....punctures? ......if its punctures new tires will only be marginally better and putting in a sealant might be a better option......if its old age problems then replace them or tube them its your call[/QUOTE

If the tread is still good, I would go with a good sealant like Liquitube. It works and if you ever replace the tires it's easily removed from the rim with a hose.

Premium Archives - Liquitube

There are other brands of similar product- Liquitube is the one I know and have used and it's good stuff.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    If you do decide to replace the tires, consider putting 4 ply HDAP tires on it. You will get a better ride & better traction than turfs & still have great turf protection.
    4 ply HDAP tires come standard on the X700 garden tractors.
    If you have a loader, than consider 8 ply HDAP tires. You do not get improved ride, but you do get the improved traction.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    If you do decide to replace the tires, consider putting 4 ply HDAP tires on it. You will get a better ride & better traction than turfs & still have great turf protection.
    4 ply HDAP tires come standard on the X700 garden tractors.
    If you have a loader, than consider 8 ply HDAP tires. You do not get improved ride, but you do get the improved traction.
    If the HDAP tires were available for my tractor I would have gladly replaced all 4 when I replaced the fronts.
    raco232 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    If the HDAP tires were available for my tractor I would have gladly replaced all 4 when I replaced the fronts.
    I agree with coaltrain! I just don’t quite understand why they just aren’t available for the older 20 series. I’d say there should be a large enough demand. The R4 just really suck in the mud.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights