How much to charge for tractor work?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: How much to charge for tractor work?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Thanks

How much to charge for tractor work?

I've had several people ask me to do loader, box blade or aerator work for them. Until I became self employed, I've always declined. Now that I could use the tractor to make money, I don't want to overcharge or sell myself short.I'm in central NC where there's a lot of landscape companies and "mower operators" (hacks that cater to people who don't want to pay much).

I generally charge $30 an hour for handyman type work, but don't charge travel time.

I'm thinking $50 an hour for operating equipment and same rate for travel both ways. Local rental places get around $300: 8 hour day for rental and anywhere from $50 - 125 for delivery and pickup.

Any advice is appreciated. *Note everything I own is paid for, so I'm not working to pay for the equipment.
    2017 JD 1025R
    120R Loader, 60” MMM, Howse 4’ box blade, Turfvent 3pt aerator, Titan ballast box, homebuilt lawn roller/packer, CID (Construction Implement Depot) quick attach pallet forks, 14’ homebuilt 10k flatbed trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timzr View Post
    I've had several people ask me to do loader, box blade or aerator work for them. Until I became self employed, I've always declined. Now that I could use the tractor to make money, I don't want to overcharge or sell myself short.I'm in central NC where there's a lot of landscape companies and "mower operators" (hacks that cater to people who don't want to pay much).

I generally charge $30 an hour for handyman type work, but don't charge travel time.

I'm thinking $50 an hour for operating equipment and same rate for travel both ways. Local rental places get around $300: 8 hour day for rental and anywhere from $50 - 125 for delivery and pickup.

Any advice is appreciated. *Note everything I own is paid for, so I'm not working to pay for the equipment.
    IMO $50/hr for tractor work and $75/hr for pto work is a fair price. I just quoted my in laws new neighbors $75/hr for some brush hogging and he didn't even bat an eye, crap,,,,,,,,,,maybe I should have said $100/hr.
    MDrew, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,221 Posts

First bit of advise - get insurance.

My homeowner’s insurance only covers my tractor at my home - no liability or damage otherwise.

I had liability insurance when I had my mowing business - not really all that expensive. However if I were to do any landscaping work where I might dig down more than 2” the insurance rate skyrocketed.

My few mowing comtepetitors were people who did it on the side with their Murray junk tractors and no insurance. I would never mow any properties without insurance let alone to any type of PTO work or loader work.

People are sue happy.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (03-26-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    “Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up.”

― G. K. Chesterton

I think that Chesterton fella is nuts. Previous owner didn't tell me why. I've been taking fence down pretty much since we moved in here.

I don't do tractor work for pay usually. I did help my neighbor on one of his job sites this past Tuesday and for 3 hours of work I was given $300.00. It depends on the job if I even charge. Most of the time my time and equipment use is done for free so I'm the wrong one to ask.
    Last edited by Levi; 03-24-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks

Well, the minute you do work for , you are now in "commerce". This puts you in a whole different category with your tractor. I noticed you said you are self-employed so you probably already have liability insurance on your business. That said, be sure they know what you plan to do with your tractor.

Concerning what to charge. Even though your equipment is paid for, you must consider the cost of this equipment in your pricing because you are going to have to replace it and you are wearing it out working for someone else.

Concerning cost for the tractor: Figuring a tractor cost. If you depreciate a $25000.00 tractor over 5 years, the depreciation is $416.67/month (not considering any interest). Figuring about 300 hours/year of usage, this would be 25 hours of usage/month. Now, this would be personal and business usage. So, if you divide $416.67 by say, 15 hours of business usage, you get $27.78/hour depreciation.

Now, how much for fuel and maintenance costs. You can figure about 2 gallons/hour for fuel and $5.00/hour ($75.00/month) for maintenance and insurance.

So, your cost to run the tractor, 15 hours per month in business, is about, $37.78/hour quickly throwing some numbers down. Now add to this $20.00/hour labor (or more) = $57.78 per hour cost. Add 25% profit to this - $57.78 + $14.45 = $72.23.

Based on this, I wouldn't do any work with a 1025R for less than $70.00/hour or you will probably be working for free and on top of this, you have to consider the cost of travel. I definitely wouldn't travel at no charge.

I would consider $1.50/mile travel charge. This isn't enough, but it will at least recover some for fuel, truck maintenance, trailer depreciation and maintenance, etc.

So, IMHO, my per hour charge would be $75.00 (on site) and travel charge would be $1.50/mile.

Of course, not to mention you have to comply with all commercial motor vehicle DOT rules when you are "in commerce" driving. This means you will have to have a DOT physical exam card because your combination truck and trailer will be in excess of 10000 lb., you have to have a DOT number on your truck and you have to have an FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association) vehicle inspection done on the truck and trailer unless your state requires state inspection on your truck and trailer.
    Last edited by Ray_PA; 03-24-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    North585, ColonyPark, Levi and 7 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Well, the minute you do work for , you are now in "commerce". This puts you in a whole different category with your tractor. I noticed you said you are self-employed so you probably already have liability insurance on your business. That said, be sure they know what you plan to do with your tractor.

Concerning what to charge. Even though your equipment is paid for, you must consider the cost of this equipment in your pricing because you are going to have to replace it and you are wearing it out working for someone else.

Concerning cost for the tractor: Figuring a tractor cost. If you depreciate a $25000.00 tractor over 5 years, the depreciation is $416.67/month (not considering any interest). Figuring about 300 hours/year of usage, this would be 25 hours of usage/month. Now, this would be personal and business usage. So, if you divide $416.67 by say, 15 hours of business usage, you get $27.78/hour depreciation.

Now, how much for fuel and maintenance costs. You can figure about 2 gallons/hour for fuel and $5.00/hour ($75.00/month) for maintenance and insurance.

So, your cost to run the tractor, 15 hours per month in business, is about, $37.78/hour quickly throwing some numbers down. Now add to this $20.00/hour labor (or more) = $57.78 per hour cost. Add 25% profit to this - $57.78 + $14.45 = $72.23.

Based on this, I wouldn't do any work with a 1025R for less than $70.00/hour or you will probably be working for free and on top of this, you have to consider the cost of travel. I definitely wouldn't travel at no charge.

I would consider $1.50/mile travel charge. This isn't enough, but it will at least recover some for fuel, truck maintenance, trailer depreciation and maintenance, etc.

So, IMHO, my per hour charge would be $75.00 (on site) and travel charge would be $1.50/mile.
    Great post Ray.

To add to that - once into commerce your truck that pulls the trailer with your tractor would have to be DOT registered.

It goes on and on......what about medical insurance for yourself - is that included in your hourly rate (plugging that in to Ray’s scenario above)?
    Levi, OxPath, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Great post Ray.

To add to that - once into commerce your truck that pulls the trailer with your tractor would have to be DOT registered.

It goes on and on......what about medical insurance for yourself - is that included in your hourly rate (plugging that in to Ray’s scenario above)?
    coaltrain, the $75.00/hour will definitely not make you rich. You may make some money at this $75.00/hour rate, but as you indicate, if you way all the costs, which you really need to, of being in commerce with a tractor, your per hour charge should be closer to $100.00/hour.
    Levi, OxPath, coaltrain and 3 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,936 Times in 2,901 Posts
    $75/hr, minimum 4 hours if I have to trailer.
    Levi, OxPath, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    $60-$90 is pretty common here, depending on equipment size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    $75/hr, minimum 4 hours if I have to trailer.
    That's what I like, keeping it simple.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast