4WD - all the time on dirt - Bad???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: 4WD - all the time on dirt - Bad???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

4WD - all the time on dirt - Bad???

I'm always on dirt, always on bumpy hillside/uneven terrain, almost always carrying near max loads of rocks and wood - probably 75% of the time. So, I haven't taken it out of 4WD for close to a year now. I like the "extra" feel. It feels safer, rather than waiting until it feels like I need it.

I keep the U-Joints lubed. But is this not good? If I don't really need 4WD, should I make a point of disengaging it?
    etcallhome, keane, raco232 and 4 others like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    I would use as required, if in your case seems most of the time so be it, but I would take it out of 4x4 when possible.

Cuts down on wear on front end.....my .02$
    Last edited by fdmars; 03-31-2019 at 04:58 AM.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    Your tractor, your rules. I agree with fdmars above. Just remember, the ground needs to be able to “give”, so the front wheels can slip, as they turn a little faster than the rears. We all would love to see some pictures of you, tractor and your place in Hawaii! I’ve only been to the islands once, 4yrs ago, but it was gorgeous, no matter which island I was on.

Just remember to keep the loader and front axle pivot pin well greased, since you are carrying near maxed out loads all the time. I’m glad to hear you are putting your tractor to good use instead of worrying about dirtying it up and getting scratches on it!
    Last edited by raco232; 03-31-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    As you know, there are few ways faster to lose control of a SCUT that to have the bucket loaded and traversing hills and NOT have the tractor in 4wd. Being on dirt and 4wd I don't feel is negative. As others have said, as long as the drive line is greased and you are on dirt, I don't see any problems with it. On pavement is another story due to the dramatic resistance during turns and the inability of the machine to ""shift / slide" on the pavement in the corners and turns and reduce the direct loads the pavement places on the drive line.

I know each of us in our own ways often worry about the fragility of our machines. In reality, many of the first 1 series machines are now starting to approach being a decade old and while the calendar is less important than the hour meter, it's still a testament to some degree to the toughness of these little tractors........

The mere fact you are thinking about the well being of your machine is a good thing and will likely help to reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the machine. For every GTTer who is posting about their machine and concerned about it's functional well being, there is likely the owner out there beating the snot out of their tractor without any concern and also probably very minimal maintenance and care. While most of us would hate to see such a thing, Deere has to build their machines knowing there is a segment of owners who will under care and over use these machines. Even with that possibility, you don't hear of major repairs or drive line failures of machines very often.

Think about how often the dealer service departments become aware of issues due to the group here on GTT. Whether it's the Air cleaner issue, the fuel tank filler neck rusting or other such issues, most of the "unique issues" seem to be disclosed here on GTT and I haven't seen or read of too many driveline failures on these machines. Yes, there is the occasional leaking seal, etc. but overall, the drive line and its components have been quite reliable from what I can see, which is great. A combination of good maintenance and proper operation will likely keep these machines humming for many, many years largely trouble free (at least that is my optimistic outlook....)
    fdmars, BigJim55, mark02tj and 6 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    Unless you can feel the front end binding of fighting itself you’re fine to be in 4wd. When in doubt run it in 4wd. I don’t recommend doing a lot of tight turns on pavement when in 4wd.

I do the same thing with my pickups. Even on pavement. Unless your doing a lot of tight turns your not going to hurt anything. Useing 4wd will cause tires to wear faster. Back whe I was a kid we would pull chopper boxes on the road with the truck in 4H because if you used 2wd the truck would spin when you would start out. Some of the pickups we had back then were full time 4wd.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    As others have said, as long as the drive line is greased and you are on dirt, I don't see any problems with it.
    The front driveshaft on these tractors spins the same whether you are in 2WD or 4WD.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Lot's of opinions on 4wd on or off. I personally leave mine engaged all the time. I'm never on pavement though. Gravel driveway,lawn or woods only and of course lot's of snow.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    I'm always on dirt, always on bumpy hillside/uneven terrain, almost always carrying near max loads of rocks and wood - probably 75% of the time. So, I haven't taken it out of 4WD for close to a year now. I like the "extra" feel. It feels safer, rather than waiting until it feels like I need it.

I keep the U-Joints lubed. But is this not good? If I don't really need 4WD, should I make a point of disengaging it?
    With all the hauling you do maybe a skid loader is what you really need. I look at my tractor as a jack of all trades. Cut grass, move snow, dig an occasional stump, future box blade use and moving a few piles of pit run rock a year. I would always use 4WD if I was doing what you do.
    BigJim55, Robnik and Herminator like this.
    2018 John Deere 1025r, Mauser cab, rear wiper, rear light, FEL, Piranah tooth bar, Heavy Hitch weight bar, 8 suitcase weights, 55 amp alternator, Kens hooks and seat springs, 54” MMM, 66” Loader mounted CTA plow, Artillian 3d function diverter kit. New Green equipment =less green in investments

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sportshot2 For This Useful Post:

Milharri (03-31-2019)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Yes

[QUOTE=konakid;3225518]I'm always on dirt, always on bumpy hillside/uneven terrain, almost always carrying near max loads of rocks and wood - probably 75% of the time. So, I haven't taken it out of 4WD for close to a year now. I like the "extra" feel. It feels safer, rather than waiting until it feels like I need it.

I keep the U-Joints lubed. But is this not good? If I don't really need 4WD, should I make a point of disengaging it?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's slightly less strain on the drive train. In addition, you want to make sure the linkage doesn't freeze up due to no movement.

My 790 stays on dirt 99% of the time and I run 2 wd 80% of the time. The terrain is not hilly so I use 4wd only for mud, snow, heavy pulls, loader work if needed. I will use it on a hillside if there's any chance of sliding but normally I'm 2wd.

If it makes you feel safer, use it but do take it out of 4wd when it's clearly not needed.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Always on here except when pulling onto my pavement to park in the garage.

If someone were to tell me that my tractor wasn't built for that, you would see it in the classifieds immediately.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast